Home 3D Art Showcase & Critiques

first time 3d texturing and uv mapping

polycounter lvl 2
Offline / Send Message
Hassan polycounter lvl 2
  here is my first time uv mapping and 3d texturing , i'd like to know your feedbacks about the uv layout and texturing. Also I want to know why the maps after texturing got messed up ( for instance in the albedo map, the details of the model in the map doesn't appear anymore) 

Replies

• Olingova
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Olingova interpolator
    Hi there!

First thing, your UVs are kinda messy; there's really a way to order them better nd use the space avalaible more effieciently. You should try to keep your edges straighten, in some occasions it will avoid you unwanted antialiasing :)

For the detaisl that go missing, it's because they are produced by the normal map and doesnt appear on the albedo (if you don't really get it you can take a look at the PBR tutorials, there are some really good explanations!)

And last point: right now i think your texturing isn't really good; i think ( i might be wrong) that you didn't use a curvature map in painter to paint the damages/dust, so your model looks like you just used a tilable texture on everything. You could have done so, but then you dont even need a special texture for it, jsut a tileable one that you could reuse. So, bake a curvature (if you work on painter ofcourse) and add details on the edges and corner (scratches, dust....) Once your UVs are correctly aligned you can go for brick details too it will help a lot!

Good luck :)
  • Hassan
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Hassan polycounter lvl 2
    Olingova said:
    Hi there!

First thing, your UVs are kinda messy; there's really a way to order them better nd use the space avalaible more effieciently. You should try to keep your edges straighten, in some occasions it will avoid you unwanted antialiasing :)

For the detaisl that go missing, it's because they are produced by the normal map and doesnt appear on the albedo (if you don't really get it you can take a look at the PBR tutorials, there are some really good explanations!)

And last point: right now i think your texturing isn't really good; i think ( i might be wrong) that you didn't use a curvature map in painter to paint the damages/dust, so your model looks like you just used a tilable texture on everything. You could have done so, but then you dont even need a special texture for it, jsut a tileable one that you could reuse. So, bake a curvature (if you work on painter ofcourse) and add details on the edges and corner (scratches, dust....) Once your UVs are correctly aligned you can go for brick details too it will help a lot!

Good luck :)
    thanks very much for your help. I'd like to know why shouldn't I leave space between the uvs, is it to increase the quality of the texture or something else? 

I am using 3d coat for the 3d texturing, and after i baked curvature map and inserted it in marmooset toolbag (i inserted it in the cavity map slot i don't know if that is the right place or not) that it looks like now. ( I decreased the diffuse cavity) 
  • Brian "Panda" Choi
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Brian "Panda" Choi high dynamic range
    What stone is it made out of?
  • Tectonic
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Tectonic polycounter lvl 10
    Yes, packing UV's closely means you're getting more pixels on your model and less wasted in the gaps between. keeping a small 4-8 pixel buffer between UVs though is recommended so you can have that space for edge padding.
  • Olingova
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Olingova interpolator
    Hassan said:
    thanks very much for your help. I'd like to know why shouldn't I leave space between the uvs, is it to increase the quality of the texture or something else? 

Yeah, and dont forget the aspect "keep edges straight when you can" to avoid antialiasing.

My point for the urvature was not really to use it in the rendering, but i thought you were texturing in substance my bad :s in those software you can use those curvature maps for nice masks on the edges (Scratcehs on edges or dust in the corner) and i feel like your model is reaaaaaaaaaaally lacking of those. As i said for the moment you model looks like it's using the same tilable texture everywhere; look at your maps you can't really say where the edges are or anything.

Maybe grab some ref of stones/sculpture to redo your stone material :)
  • Hassan
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Hassan polycounter lvl 2
    What stone is it made out of?
    No I didn't used a specific material, I added white yellowish color, some dots(alpha brush) in the normal map to add some stone effect, and some black dirt from alpha brush in 3d coat 
  • Hassan
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Hassan polycounter lvl 2
    Olingova said:
    Hassan said:

Yeah, and dont forget the aspect "keep edges straight when you can" to avoid antialiasing.

My point for the urvature was not really to use it in the rendering, but i thought you were texturing in substance my bad :s in those software you can use those curvature maps for nice masks on the edges (Scratcehs on edges or dust in the corner) and i feel like your model is reaaaaaaaaaaally lacking of those. As i said for the moment you model looks like it's using the same tilable texture everywhere; look at your maps you can't really say where the edges are or anything.

Maybe grab some ref of stones/sculpture to redo your stone material :)
    then all what I have to do is to calculate curvature map, but not export it ?
  • Hassan
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Hassan polycounter lvl 2
    Tectonic said:
    Yes, packing UV's closely means you're getting more pixels on your model and less wasted in the gaps between. keeping a small 4-8 pixel buffer between UVs though is recommended so you can have that space for edge padding.
    ahhh, I got you, thanks for the help man :) 
  • Dethling
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Dethling polycounter lvl 11
    Also if you have square UVs, try to rotate them to align them horizontal or vertical (so their edges are horizontal or vertical). This way you can pack them more easily and you also reduce the aliasing.
  • Chimp
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Chimp interpolator
    Nice start Hassan, keep going. You might want to look into leaving the base geometry very simple texture-wise, and moving that detail into a detail map (which fades in as you get closer) and the ground dirt to decals perhaps or vert cols. Just to get you familiar with the idea that a lot of things wont be unique unwrapped in environment work on proper projects. Also you'll need to move out of toolbag, its nice for prop renders but if you want to get moving on environment work you will want to enter a proper engine.
  • Finnn
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Finnn greentooth
    Hello Hassan, great first try. 3DSMax has a quick and easy way to arrange your UV Islands, this way you can use the most out of your UV space. Also keep in mind to keep your texel density equal. (There are exceptions though.)

This is the tool in Max. There might be something similar in Maya or whatever program you use.