Home 3D Art Showcase & Critiques

[UE4] Egyptian Temple Environment

Ged
interpolator
Offline / Send Message
Ged interpolator
I got the Dreamworks art book for christmas and was really inspired by the incredible concept art in there. There was a particular image from Prince of Egypt that stood out to me(what an incredible work of art that film is!). I did some research and found out the original image was by Paul Lasaine, an amazing artist! Here's the main image I'm using as inspiration on his website, its called Green Temple here http://lasaineportfolio.blogspot.co.uk/2007/10/thanks.html

So here's where I'm at so far with this Prince of Egypt fan art. very early stages still, texture tiling is off on some stuff, need to do a lot to the background buildings, add the sheets and foliage etc etc but Im enjoying making this portfolio piece.

Replies

• Ged
    Offline / Send Message
    Ged interpolator
    todays progress, still a bit messy but major buildings are in and I figured fov 55 looks more like what Im going for. Theres still quite a bit of decorative work to do on the top pillars and building but Im gonna get all the major elements in first before refining them.

• alex_kim
    Offline / Send Message
    alex_kim polycounter lvl 2
    Man, this is so wonderful !
  • FreneticPonies
    Offline / Send Message
    FreneticPonies polycounter lvl 3
    It looks neat, but where is that green light supposed to be coming from? Would love, like, glowing green lines on the bottom of the pools or something to justify it.
  • Ged
    Offline / Send Message
    Ged interpolator
    It looks neat, but where is that green light supposed to be coming from? Would love, like, glowing green lines on the bottom of the pools or something to justify it.
    Thanks both of you!
    Yeah I don't know where the green lighting is coming from in the concept I was looking at either, I was thinking of making the water look like it has florescent plankton swirled into it.
  • FreneticPonies
    Offline / Send Message
    FreneticPonies polycounter lvl 3
    Ged said:
    Thanks both of you!
    Yeah I don't know where the green lighting is coming from in the concept I was looking at either, I was thinking of making the water look like it has florescent plankton swirled into it.
    Oooh that'd be a neat effect to try.
  • jose.fuentes
    Offline / Send Message
    jose.fuentes interpolator
    you're off to a great start.  The only thing i think is lacking right now is a bit of depth, perhaps add something in the far background for more depth 
  • wirrexx
    Offline / Send Message
    wirrexx ngon master
    the green light could be all foliage hiding behind the clothes =). Could also be lights coming from the water. 

• pjscottartist
    Offline / Send Message
    pjscottartist polycounter lvl 5
    Love the design and the materials on the Pillars. As Jose has said on the post above it really needs some background elements or an extension of the landscape. At the moment it's cut off at the immediate horizon. Apologies if any of this is already in your plans. Also in that dusky light scenario I think the architecture would appear darker than it currently is, at least with some more contrasting and longer shadows/ clear source of light. Again looking forward to what you do with this.
  • Ged
    Offline / Send Message
    Ged interpolator
    Thanks everyone, really loving the enthusiasm in your comments! I have got plans for background scenery, dont worry, I aim to make some foliage for the midground and perhaps some sand dune hills for the background. Been working on the hanging curtains at the moment, it was not an easy task getting these in but now they are in and animated to look like they are blowing subtly in the breeze. I'm aiming for a relatively realistic but still stylized and painterly feel to this scene, Im really enjoying how its coming together, a fun challenge.

Here's some of the substances Ive made so far for this, trying not to spend too long on these as I want to keep the art style simplistic in some ways. These are blended with height lerps in UE4.

• Ged
    Offline / Send Message
    Ged interpolator
    added 2 types of foliage today.

• Ged
    Offline / Send Message
    Ged interpolator
    Today I added vertex animation to plants to simulate some subtle wind and added some bulrushes(cattails) to the scene. So I have 3 plant types now :) also started to edit sky to make it more yellow/sunset style.

• Ged
    Offline / Send Message
    Ged interpolator
    more work on foliage! I added papyrus plants, water lillys and lotus flowers, also added animated glowing plankton effect in the water and started tweaking post processing and lighting a bit more. 

• Ged
    Offline / Send Message
    Ged interpolator
    giving the background foliage some depth now, its starting to look decent :)

• Ged
    Offline / Send Message
    Ged interpolator
    I've finally finished this! So much work and a real challenge but I've learned a lot! Much more on my artstation: https://www.artstation.com/artwork/Lo1KR

https://youtu.be/MraGMqEkpA4

• Ashervisalis
    Offline / Send Message
    Ashervisalis grand marshal polycounter
    Looks great, I love the architecture! I feel like the overall lighting is too intense, especially in the second render. Regarding the green lighting, it could be toned down a bit. Maybe one single point light but with a long source?

Once you added the hanging fabric, it added a sense of magic, and I think you did really well with the textures and animations!
  • Ged
    Offline / Send Message
    Ged interpolator
    Looks great, I love the architecture! I feel like the overall lighting is too intense, especially in the second render. Regarding the green lighting, it could be toned down a bit. Maybe one single point light but with a long source?

Once you added the hanging fabric, it added a sense of magic, and I think you did really well with the textures and animations!

Thanks a lot!

You could be right about the intensity of the light, I was trying to get a good balance on the tone mapping but it was either too much dark in the shadows or a little brighter than what I wanted in the light, so I chose to have the light a little brighter and not have really dark shadows but it was a trade off I guess. I still feel like this intensely bright desert sunrise mood is pretty nice though.
  • Ashervisalis
    Offline / Send Message
    Ashervisalis grand marshal polycounter
    It definitely has the 'just hit by the Egyptian sunrise' look, for sure.