Home 3D Art Showcase & Critiques

serriffe - portfolio designworks

polycounter lvl 9
Offline / Send Message
serriffe polycounter lvl 9
Welcome to my 3D sketchbook/ Portfolio thread. In time I will try to do my best to fill this thread for the all Unreal Engine Projects or any real-time related projects that I have been working on my personal time-- so just stay tuned!  :)

Replies

• serriffe
    Offline / Send Message
    WIP: I am just dusting up my old Maya skills and converting an old project to Unreal Engine 4. I gotta say, a lot of things sure changed in Maya. I will be adding more updates in the future. 

• serriffe
    Offline / Send Message
    WIP: testing Skylight setup and Props are moving in quite nicely in Unreal Engine 4. I am really itching to get started with the material shaders but I will wait for Unreal Engine 4.19's new Layer Shader. 

• serriffe
    Offline / Send Message
    importing all the assets in, I think about 70% in. I try not to light the scene, since I really love lighting but I am restraining myself. 

• serriffe
    Offline / Send Message
    Hello folks, everything still looks rough for final and currently using the same base brick textures for all of the buildings at the moment and just did a quick high render lightmass settings for testing. I also did a quick true scale on all of my assets just to make sure they all scaled right.  I am about 90% in from exporting my old Maya files into Unreal Engine 4. More to come!

• serriffe
    Offline / Send Message
    95% on getting all my old assets from Maya, and possibly expanding it a bit more. I did high lightmass settings just to see how long it takes and it took a long awhile. The trees and people are not done by me,  just needed a quick placeholder. 

things to do
    - refine shaders and textures more
    - small fixes on props IDs or texture map channels
    - add original planned assets 
    - add grunge assets 
    - start refining and do more lighting study

still a long ways to go, but initially, this project meant to be a test bench and to build a block asset library.  

• FreneticPonies
    Offline / Send Message
    FreneticPonies polycounter lvl 3
    Looking great! Though, perhaps a bit repetitive and copy pasted? I mean, it's a large environment, you do what you have to. But the extreme repetition is eating a bit into it nonetheless.
  • serriffe
    Offline / Send Message
    Looking great! Though, perhaps a bit repetitive and copy pasted? I mean, it's a large environment, you do what you have to. But the extreme repetition is eating a bit into it nonetheless.
    Thank you! and yeah, I think you are right and I am starting to see the repetition the more I work on it. It was an old project but I’m currently making more assets to break up the voids and patterns. Thank you for the comments :) 
  • serriffe
    Offline / Send Message
    Hello Folks, I have now completely exported 100% of my old Maya file assets to Unreal Engine. The next phase are just adding more future assets, like interior assets and more exterior supporting props. I need to work more on the shader treatment and grudge. :B  The lanterns translucent effect still bugs me, will continue working on it 

• serriffe
    Offline / Send Message
    Hi all-- It has been awhile since I posted-- I just gotta start with a warm up post. I'm just doing a quick lighting test while playing around with UE4's Volumetric Fog.  If you are interested, go pop in the ExponentialHeightFog into your UE4 scene and have some fun-- 

• serriffe
    Offline / Send Message
    Oww man-- has been awhile since I posted. I decided to start an organic type of environment. I am currently coming out of the block out phase and now moving into lighting and breaking everything into modular pieces that works out. 

• serriffe
    Offline / Send Message
    back again, and slowly hammering out composition and lighting and slowly expanding the scene to make it more whole. 

• Jakro
    Offline / Send Message
    Jakro greentooth
    Absolutely stunning! 
  • Sourav
    Offline / Send Message
    Sourav polycounter lvl 6
  • serriffe
    Offline / Send Message
    Jakro said:
    Absolutely stunning! 
    thank you! 
  • serriffe
    Offline / Send Message
    Sourav said:
    beautiful...
  • serriffe
    Offline / Send Message
    much appreciated!
  • Mehran Khan
    Offline / Send Message
    Mehran Khan polycounter lvl 9
    this one is soo great, specially the right side of the image, it gives this feeling that there is a whole another world on that side.

• catoboy
    Amazing! Could you please mention the list of tools used to create this piece of art?
  • serriffe
    Offline / Send Message
    this one is soo great, specially the right side of the image, it gives this feeling that there is a whole another world on that side.

thank you so much sir! I always like making environments that they look bigger what they seem to be - 
  • serriffe
    Offline / Send Message
    catoboy said:
    Amazing! Could you please mention the list of tools used to create this piece of art?
    sure thing!
    - Maya
    - Photoshop
    - Unreal Engine 4

still early in the process so I think in the future-- the app list will expand a bit more  :)
  • Andreicus
    Offline / Send Message
    Andreicus polycounter lvl 6
    serriffe said:
    catoboy said:
    sure thing!
    - Maya
    - Photoshop
    - Unreal Engine 4

still early in the process so I think in the future-- the app list will expand a bit more  :)

How did you make the big tree in the image with the various walls and forest ?
  • serriffe
    Offline / Send Message
    Andreicus said:
    serriffe said:
    catoboy said:
    sure thing!
    - Maya
    - Photoshop
    - Unreal Engine 4

Hi there, right now, it's currently on a blocking stage and sorta midway of greyboxing to modular build. The trees are just started off as basic primitive cylinder and just kept adding geometry to it. I try to keep my geometry very simple so I can make easy changes. I try to avoid making the geometry very dense, makes it a bit harder for changes once inspiration hits -

The walls are just part of a bigger architecture-- it was actually a whole functional ancient building  and I just kept breaking it away to show the damages of time. 

I should have some modular breakdowns once I am happy on how everything looks- It's easier to show the modules in images, so stay tuned! 
  • Andreicus
    Offline / Send Message
    Andreicus polycounter lvl 6
    serriffe said:
    Andreicus said:
    serriffe said:
    catoboy said:
    sure thing!
    - Maya
    - Photoshop
    - Unreal Engine 4

Hi there, right now, it's currently on a blocking stage and sorta midway of greyboxing to modular build. The trees are just started off as basic primitive cylinder and just kept adding geometry to it. I try to keep my geometry very simple so I can make easy changes. I try to avoid making the geometry very dense, makes it a bit harder for changes once inspiration hits -

The walls are just part of a bigger architecture-- it was actually a whole functional ancient building  and I just kept breaking it away to show the damages of time. 

I should have some modular breakdowns once I am happy on how everything looks- It's easier to show the modules in images, so stay tuned! 
    Thank you for the reply and good luck with the project :)
  • serriffe
    Offline / Send Message
    181 Fremont 52nd Floor - San Francisco 

Just posting some projects I did a while back when I was working in Arch Vis. Most of the scene here is already made ( Kit bash ) and the only modeling part I did was organizing the raw 3D assets that came from our Client's Architect. Since the 3D floor plan didn't exist-  I had to research and hunt down the original floor design of this floor and model it from scratch.

The 2nd phase of the project was handed off to one of our artist to further design the interior floor and to add all of the necessary props ( furniture ) that fits well into the floor space, in this case-- this is a Residential Floor design.

Everything is lit in Unreal Engine 4 and modeled using 3DS Max. 

• serriffe
    Offline / Send Message
    Hello everyone- just sharing my new project, my getting back to the basics project. This is currently on 1st pass block-out for both composition and model and starting to think about the modular pieces. 

More updates will come- stay tuned! :) 
  • serriffe
    Offline / Send Message
    Hello and good morning--- Just showing my progress so far and this is my current 2nd pass for this environment and I have 75% of modular assets done.  I am also polishing my Hero model ( Spider Tank )  which also on the 2nd phase block out and I will start 3rd phase soon- which is the model refinement.  

Things to do:
    - add more props and vegetation types
    - start UVing first batch of props
    - lighting refinement pass
    - adding dust particle effect for test
    - add secondary hero object?
    - begin texturing pass 

Unreal Engine

Maya ( Props and Hero ) 

that's it-- the next phase should be even more fun-- Texturing :)

• kanga
    Offline / Send Message
    kanga quad damage
  • serriffe
    Offline / Send Message
    kanga said:
    Looks great!
    thank you! 
  • serriffe
    Offline / Send Message
    Good Morning folks, posting some new updates. I just did my first pass on the textures and materials. The material look still very early in the stage but I did manage to mess around with the small ground foliage a little bit. I finally got my hands on using Substance Painter more and I really enjoy using it- the more a play around with it. 

Unreal Engine

Substance Painter

Things to do:

- refine Hero model ( 3rd pass )
    - adding dust particle effect for test
    - UV and Paint the remaining props and modulars 
    - add secondary hero object and more props?
    - begin material look dev 

• serriffe
    Offline / Send Message
    Hi all- just showing my latest project I decided to start again-- this is an old project I did when I was still in school and I think it's the right time for me re-start this environment again. I usually like to start many projects to keep myself busy at all times. 

Currently on first pass lighting and blockout - still blocking out some areas  :)

• serriffe
    Offline / Send Message
    Hello- just posting new updates for my level design progress. I'm going to stay on a block out state for awhile until I am pretty happy how everything looks in terms of level design- the key is just staying loose for now.  

• serriffe
    Offline / Send Message
    hello again-- I think I'm getting pretty close to the finish line on this one but the last mile is always the painful part as I was told. But- I am still happy how I am progressing- specially I am getting the hang of using Substance Painter- what a great app! 

So I manage to get all the first pass textures on all of the environment modulars, props, vegetation and the hero model ( Spider Tank )
    I would say I am about 90% done? give or take?  =)

Unreal Engine 4

Substance Painter

Spidertank original concept is from Fausto De Martini

• serriffe
    Offline / Send Message
    HI folks, I think I am calling this done for now. I do have a long term plan for this project, so-- I think this is a good stopping point. I was able to learn as much as can using Substance Painter as a beginner using it and I am quite happy that I got the hang of it. 

Also, I finally got the chance to mess around with UE4's real time tessellation shader on my ground texture-- it's quite fun. 

I played around with UE4's Post process with some color correction and  with LUT in Photoshop. I was just curious if the LUT pipeline for UE4 to Photshop and back works-- and it does. But I decided not use the LUT that I made in Photoshop and stuck around with UE4's basic post process parameters. 

Here's my latest shots from my UE4 viewport- hope you guys like it. C & C are welcome. thanks everyone :) 

• serriffe
    Offline / Send Message
    been busy with work and going back to an old level on my spare time- doing level designing for something this huge surely does improve my analytical skills in terms of amateur civil engineering and it's quite fun.  =)

This environment just came out from the rough blockout and now entering the Prop/Modular blockout- I'll probably start doing some early texture passes for color compositions. ( which textures compliment each other environment wise ) 

• serriffe
    Offline / Send Message
    I finally decided to do my first public VR Demo using Oculus Quest /w the Link Cable. This VR Demo is very small and simplified but I am planning to update it as I get more knowledge of improving the aesthetic of it as well as the Technical side of things. 

If you like to try it out and  you got an Oculus Quest with Oculus Link Cable- just go follow the link below and download. I think it should work with the HTC Vive as well- I haven't tested it but it should be fine? 

Download Page Link
    https://www.serriffe.com/12-thproject

Here some early shots 

• serriffe
    Offline / Send Message
    just doing some test early in the eve- feeling productive. I was testing my old project to see how it does on  UE4 4.26's new GPU Lightmass. It did ok and crashed a bit ( I may need a new GPU ) oh - btw, Merry Christmas polycount!  =)

• serriffe
    Offline / Send Message
    I'm calling this done on the general test for Unreal 4.26's GPU lightmass. I am quite happy with and also- that my computer didn't burn. I also fiddled around with the real time Raytrace but mostly for the reflections and I think it's quite good. Here's my latest and added more decors :sweat_smile:

• serriffe
    Offline / Send Message
    I have more time for working on my personal projects lately- so I decided that it's time for me to circle back to this project at bit more. This is my third blocking pass- happy but I think I can still push it more terms of lighting and level design. 

• serriffe
    Offline / Send Message

I finally got more time to do what I always wanted- is to expand this level. I have added an additional cross street. I got most of the buildings that I wanted on a block out state. On my list so far are the usual, add more props, update some prop textures to Substance Painter, add more dirt decals, and more props! 

• valentin_baguirov
    Offline / Send Message
    valentin_baguirov polycounter lvl 3
    Love the color pallete and lighting!
  • serriffe
    Offline / Send Message
    Love the color pallete and lighting!
    Hey! thank you! 
  • serriffe
    Offline / Send Message
    Third Street project
    UE 4.26 
    GPU Lightmass ( Static Lighting ) 
    Raytrace: reflections only
    60 FPS ( GTX 2070 )

Hi all, just reporting my progress, I added a few more props, refined some of the close buildings in composition area.  It's shaping up pretty well-- I am adding more props on my list and inspired to keep expanding this level. I finally came up a Production system that I am happy on  my next projects- moving along. 

for more shots
    https://www.serriffe.com/2nd-project

• serriffe
    Offline / Send Message
    Angkor project
    UE 4.26.1 
    GPU Lightmass ( Static Lighting ) 
    Raytrace: reflections only
    30 FPS ( GTX 2070 )

I am calling this project done-- took me awhile but I am happy with the results so far. This is also my first attempt of using Zbrush and my first time using it on an environment. I am quite happy with the Zbrush's workflow and I would love to learn more tricks for it in my future projects. 

I got a couple more shots here
    https://www.serriffe.com/8th-project

• serriffe
    Offline / Send Message
    I think I am calling this done-- I think? yup done. Lighting wise and post process side, I am still not happy. I think I am glad that I still have more room to improve this scene. I will possibly do another rendering pass in the future if I can. 

• serriffe
    Offline / Send Message
    switching it up a bit- learning/ testing full raytrace mode in UE4 and I am also learning how incorporate UDIMs in Substance Painter. Raytrace  test is doing pretty good but my GPU is not doing so well-- framerate at 10fps-- I need to optimized a few more things. 

Credit goes to Nick Carver's Harvesting Unit concept- it's the model I've used in this environment and to do my UDIM test

Dubs project
    UE 4.26.1 
    GPU Full Raytrace ( Dynamic / HDRI Lighting ) 
    Raytrace: Full
    10 FPS ( GTX 2070 )