Home Career & Education

Graduating Soon

Solid_Otter
polycounter lvl 6
Offline / Send Message
Solid_Otter polycounter lvl 6
Is this ok to post here? I'm graduating from undergrad this semester and need to start looking for work. I know it's very rare for new grads to find work right after they finish school so I'm pretty nervous! Some alumni friends I know are still looking 2 years out.

Hoping I can get some feedback here so I know what I need to work on to become hireable. Character art is my primary focus.
Also, is grad school a necessity these days? 

Here is my portfolio: https://www.artstation.com/toenee

Replies

• Brian "Panda" Choi
    Offline / Send Message
    Brian "Panda" Choi high dynamic range
    If you want to work on games, there's nothing in here proving you can make game-ready character art assets.

Needs more character assets ready for game.

The 2 pieces are good, but I get this gut reaction about "You need more, cabron."  So make more.  The two pieces you have have solid quality reads initially, though.

Art sense is there for sure.  
  • slosh
    Offline / Send Message
    slosh hero character
    I dig your sculpts!  But yes, Brian is right, you need gameres models and full characters, not just busts.  For gameart, there is no need for grad school.  It doesn't really exist for gameart as far as I know.  Just make more art!
  • Solid_Otter
    Offline / Send Message
    Thanks for your feedback guys! 
    I'm relieved about not having to go to grad school, to be honest. Undergrad was expensive enough as it is haha. Definitely will work on making more pieces. 
    I'm a little lost on how to create models for current gen standards, though. I'll keep digging for more info and experimenting, but I'm not really certain how far things can be pushed.
  • Brian "Panda" Choi
    Offline / Send Message
    Check the Polycount Wiki, game art giveaway, and actually asking artists politely for their portfolio assets for learning purposes isn't out o the question if you need to find render targets to study from.

Also just incase, read into the following:
    Physically Based Rendering
    Substance Painter and Designer
    Quixel
  • Solid_Otter
    Offline / Send Message
    Thanks, Brian! I'll look into those resources 
  • Brian "Panda" Choi
    Offline / Send Message
    What will also dramatically help is if you volunteer your services to game teams looking for character art.  You would be surprised the things you will learn while making an actual game.  It's a lot of odd intangibles.
  • Solid_Otter
    Offline / Send Message
    I believe it. Currently making all of the character models for a short film I'm working on with some classmates. Not really allowed to show anything yet until it's done, but I've learned a lot going through the pipeline. I plan on volunteering in game dev related stuff later on too once I have more time.
    I really like how projects like these force you to learn new skills and workflows. Didn't really think I would be tackling hair systems for a while until last month. lol
  • dropyhop
    Offline / Send Message
    dropyhop polycounter lvl 10
    Hey,

Most of the questions have already been answered so I can share about the getting in as an intern as I recently graduated as well. 
    So my course was of 5 years and I had to intern for 4th and 5th year in order to get my certificates. I had applied at my current studio in 4th year but they said they like what I did and would like to see more of it. And at that time my folio was mess, I had characters, materials and props. A rule that should be in mind is that you should have specialized work if you are applying for AAA but for indie studio you can have multiple interests. Still I would keep them in side so when they ask for more I can show them. For my 5th year I focus only on Environment Art with game ready meshes and beauty shots applied again at the studio, gave the interview and they like me and I was here! Just so you know it took me 7 months with getting everything sorted from interview to visa.

There few points that you should think before applying-

1) Look for studios that have similiar artstyle that you enjoy and build folio in that way.
    2) Studios usually hire when need man power, that would mid or end production. So chances are high this time.
    3) Look for internship programs but keep in mind that so many other students would be applying too.
  • Solid_Otter
    Offline / Send Message
    Getting an internship is a real struggle in my area, to be honest. There are some studios sprinkled over Florida but it seems like internship opportunities are very rare or targeted at grad students. Will likely be moving after graduation.