Home Technical Talk

Making avatars in 3DSMAX for VRChat?

polycounter lvl 6
Offline / Send Message
Bletzkarn polycounter lvl 6
Wondering if anyone knows the best way to approach creating fun and interesting characters. I have no problem rigging / modelling / texturing just wondering if using a CAT bone structure works better / is easier than going with a traditional bone rig?

Ultimately I want to add particles, sounds, dynamic bones, full vesamere facial animations etc. However all that requires have a good "core" skeleton and mesh. So want to make sure I'm going to nail down that part with best practice.

Replies

• poopipe
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    poopipe grand marshal polycounter
    You're going to want to do a lot of very specific things with IK at runtime if you want live performance capture to work properly (Eg. where do you point the elbow? ) .

Personally I'd build my own so I could avoid getting into an argument with a black box 
  • Bletzkarn
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Bletzkarn polycounter lvl 6
    poopipe said:
    You're going to want to do a lot of very specific things with IK at runtime if you want live performance capture to work properly (Eg. where do you point the elbow? ) .

Personally I'd build my own so I could avoid getting into an argument with a black box 
    Yea I've dug into Unity's mechanim a bit more. Seems I will need to rig my own skeleton based off my body dimensions and model around that initial rig.