Home Technical Talk

[3ds Max] How to get rid of green UV seams?

RawData
polycounter lvl 3
Offline / Send Message
RawData polycounter lvl 3
I quite have blender experience and i started to use 3ds max. Today i tried to UV unwrap my model and i put some seams at wrong edges and i realized that after i peeled the object. Then i wanted to delete some seams which actually indicated as green edges. I couldnt make it with alt clicking or something else. The blue seams just easy to remove. Then i clear all seams and re-do my work. Since it is a very basic model it was not much stress but with other complex models i dont know what to do. Is that a way to remove those green egdes?

Replies

• Prot
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Prot polycounter lvl 6
    Hi,

You can stitch the edges together by selecting one edge in the uv editor, right-click and " stitch selected " . Click on the little square and put 0 in bias value.
  • RawData
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Prot said:
    Hi,

You can stitch the edges together by selecting one edge in the uv editor, right-click and " stitch selected " . Click on the little square and put 0 in bias value.
    Thank you , i did it with different way. I select the two polygons which shares the edge that i want to remove seam and i reset peel. It cleared seams and then i add seams i want and peeled again. If i need to fix just straight lines stitching could be faster though.

And one more question; is there a way to see streching in uv editor, or i have to eyeball stretching with a checker texture in viewpor? 
  • poopipe
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    poopipe grand marshal polycounter
    There's an option to see distortion in one of the uv editor menus.

• Ghogiel
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Ghogiel greentooth
    I suspect you want to see a heat map of distortion on the UVs. in viewport. Max has something, mostly useless in imo, as a substitute called show edge distortion or something. 
  • RawData
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Ghogiel said:
    I suspect you want to see a heat map of distortion on the UVs. in viewport. Max has something, mostly useless in imo, as a substitute called show edge distortion or something. 
    Actually i want to see in uv editor. In blender it is something like that
  • Ghogiel
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Ghogiel greentooth
    Yeah, I meant to type a "/" there so it would read "on the UVs/ in viewport."  Just have a look at the max atempt at that sort of feature for 2mins, then probably sigh and turn it off like I expect most people have done.
  • barbor66666
  • RawData
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    In blender i use it for adjusting scales for islands. I did my first model in max and , yea i didnt use this at the end of the day. I just clicked on rescale 
  • RawData
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    @barbor66666 thank you, it was below checker texture all day. It helped.
  • Ghogiel
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Ghogiel greentooth
    this must be a newer feature.
  • monster
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    monster polycounter
    Also, where the viewport menu usually says "High Quality" you can pick "Materials > Override with UV Checker"
  • poopipe
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    poopipe grand marshal polycounter
    People think display>Edge distortion is broken / useless ,  it is in fact not broken or useless, it's just that it takes the oft forgotten W coordinate into account.  A coordinate that gets some pretty wacky values in it if you use some of the unwrap buttons. 

The following was achieved by selecting 3 faces, hitting reset peel and then quick peeling the same 3 faces individually.  you'll get similar results from all sorts of UV operations.

eg:

To fix it, simply make sure all the verts have their W coordinate set to the same value (eg. 0.0) - Autodesk in their infinite wisdom have made this tedious in 2017 so I recommend making a script with something like this in it 
    uv = $.modifiers[#Unwrap_UVW]
    selectedVerts = uv.getSelectedVertices() 
    -- force to 0 in W coordinate cos otherwise it screws your area calculations
    <div>for i in selectedVerts do</div><br><div>(</div><br><div>    vpos = uv.getVertexPosition 0 i</div><br><div>    uv.SetVertexPosition 0 i [vpos.x, vpos.y, 0]</div><br><div>)</div>
    <div><br></div>

Before anyone says it - the W coordinate  is amazing and it shouldn't be removed

edit:  also,  wow,  ignore the "5."  bit at the bottom,  these code blocks really hate maxscript