Home Contests & Challenges Archives Riot Creative Contest 2017 Riot Creative Contest 2017 - Environment Art

[Riot Creative Contest 2017] - Rob Killick - Void Towers and Jackalope Warrens

polycounter lvl 3
Offline / Send Message
Robuscus polycounter lvl 3
First time entering a Riot based competition! Super excited!  I've been playing the game for a few years now and I'm a big fan.  I am currently studying at Gnomon in LA which doesn't give me a whole lot of free time but I really hope I can create something cool for this.  Look forward to seeing everyone's work.  Good luck!

Replies

• Robuscus
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    So for the hard surface part of the challenge I am going to go with a Void style turret.  I will be combining the imagery for Icathia with the style of the Void champions.  I figured Icathia would be a good choice for the base architecture of the tower because in the lore it is the closest city to the potential entry place to the barrier between the void dimension and Runeterra.  Because of its proximity to Shurima and the brief description on the LOL lore I am basing the tower construction on ancient Egyptian and ancient Middle Eastern architecture.

First round of reference images mostly just breaking down the preexisting style of the Void characters in LOL.  Ill probably put together some rough sketches next or move into some loose 3D concepts.

For the Creep Den I am thinking of going for a Jackalope warren.  I like the idea of the red Brambleback being a guardian for a family of Jackalopes.  I haven't done any organic style environments like this before so I really look forward to the challenge :)

• Robuscus
    Options
    Offline / Send Message

Finally found a little time to work on some concepts.  I will be getting on with some block-out and sculpting soon! not long left of the competition now but I still have a bit of time yet!
  • Robuscus
    Options
    Offline / Send Message

Quick blockout in Maya just sent it to Zbrush for the next stage :smile:
  • Robuscus
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    First round of sculpting.  :) Teeth and Tentacles tomorrow
  • praetus
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    praetus interpolator
    So, a few things of note.  Some details you have currently are going to get lost in the bake or not bake down well for painting.  The runes you have at the top are very thin and have no bevel on the edges, so they'll look very flat on diffuse.  I would make try to punch that upa  bit.  Some of the noise on the broken area on the bottom is almost too noisy.  I would look at some of the reference in LoL.  Make the breaks larger and follow planes a bit more so they're readable.Eyes look cool but make sure you have the proper texel density so they're readable.

Make sure to look at this from 3/4 angle to see what looks good and what gets lost.  Zoom out to appropriate distance to mimic game as well.  Hope that helps.
  • Robuscus
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Thanks Praetus for the advice I haven't done a lot of hand painted textures before so I was hoping that the high detail areas will give me a good guide for painting but I have never tried that before.  I tried to add some more mid level detail to balance it out and give it a good read from a distance. I also tweaked the silhouette a bit, based on the angle you would view the model in game. I think it looks much better thanks again!
  • Robuscus
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Some base procedural texturing in Substance. Over to 3D coat next for some hand painting :)
  • Robuscus
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Well since this latest term at Gnomon started I simply haven't been able to find the time to work on the creep den :( but I am really happy with how the tower turned out and everything I have learned from doing this project!  Looking forward to seeing who wins this year, there have been some awesome submissions!!
    Good luck with the competition everyone!
    https://www.artstation.com/artwork/Aexxo