Home Contests & Challenges Archives Riot Creative Contest 2017

Riot Creative Contest 2017 - QA

admin
Offline / Send Message
Pinned
cheeseplus admin
Hello! If you are participating in the Riot Creative Contest and have some questions in regards to the contest, please ask them here.

As a reminder, the important dates for this contest are:
  • Contest starts November 6th, 2017
  • The deadline for entries is January 31st, 2018 @ 23:59 PST (GMT -7)
  • Winners will be announced March 1st, 2018

Replies

• raphoni
    Offline / Send Message
    raphoni vertex
    raphoni said:
    hey
    I am interested  in the illustrations category.
    I noticed the last winners were all 2d illustrations.
    so my question is  are 3d illustrations  allowed ?
    are 3d illustrations allowed?(3d render as opposed to handpainted 2d)
  • PixelGrimm
    My question is about the Narrative category. Is there a specific format you'd like us to follow (font, spacing, etc)? Also, I'd like to explore an alternate turn of events from a character's lore. Would that be okay, so long as I stay true to the character? Or are we constrained by their official stories? 
  • AlekKolev
    Offline / Send Message
    AlekKolev polycounter lvl 6
    Hello I am thinking of entering the contest. I am wondering can i use one of these rigs or are they forbidden to be used for the contest: https://www.characterrigs.com/monarudorig.html  or http://www.nelsonhurst.com/416/norman-rig/   . Thank you in advance.
  • SilverYuan
    Offline / Send Message
    SilverYuan polycounter lvl 2
    I want to take part in this competition. What do I need to do for the registration? Or is it possible to upload the works directly?

• Amaekt
    Offline / Send Message
    Amaekt vertex
    Hi !

I am currently very interested by the environment art contest, but I have some questions in mind :

1/ When it says we can do a turret, an inhibitor and a creep den, does it mean we have to do both inhibitor and creep den if we choose one of them ? Or do we have to choose one between the 3 of them, so : only the turret / only the inhibitor / only the creep den ?

2/ Do we have to make elements accorded to the original Summoner's Rift map, or can we choose one like the winter skin, or another one ?

Thank you in advance, and sorry for my bad english !
    Have a nice day :)
  • TossMe
    Offline / Send Message
    TossMe null
    Hi there :) ! I'm new to the site Polycount and recently put in my submission for the Riot contest! When I go to save edits/corrections on my post though, I will get a message that says it will show in the feed if approved; however, it seems to remove the entries entirely. A prior submission I went to edit was removed from my favorites and quit showing on the board, but initial submissions show. Is this a visibility thing where they will show later? I just want to confirm what the best method is for making any needed WIP edits/how one should submit their finalized pdf (edit vs new, final submission). Thank you in advance!
  • MemeLord2K17
    Where do i submit my creation? :smile:
  • _adamturnbull
    AlekKolev said:
    Hello I am thinking of entering the contest. I am wondering can i use one of these rigs or are they forbidden to be used for the contest: https://www.characterrigs.com/monarudorig.html  or http://www.nelsonhurst.com/416/norman-rig/   . Thank you in advance.

Yep, these should be fine as long as you acquire them legally.
  • BigSisNatien
    Offline / Send Message
    BigSisNatien triangle
    Is there any way I can have someone check one of my Narrative entries before I post a WIP to see if it's too violent to qualify? I've been reading through the rules, compared it to lore, even checked what would make something "M"  (Mature) rated versus "T" (Teen) to try to come up with a conclusion, but I'm still just too unsure. 
  • cataclyss
    to submit my entry I just need to make a new topic inside the chosen category?

Correct! :) - Adam
  • DaveArt
    Offline / Send Message
    DaveArt null
    Can I participate from Venezuela? would it be a valid entry?
  • Tycerax
    Offline / Send Message
    Tycerax null
    For Narrative: Do we have to disclose who (the champion) we wrote about?
  • sfydmr60
    Offline / Send Message
    sfydmr60 vertex
    @_adamturnbull  hey man! On this link, you say: When you’re ready to submit your masterpiece, head over TBD

Are submissions for narrative open, right now? If they are, why does it say TBD?
  • _adamturnbull
    sfydmr60 said:
    @_adamturnbull  hey man! On this link, you say: When you’re ready to submit your masterpiece, head over TBD

Are submissions for narrative open, right now? If they are, why does it say TBD?
    Hey man, it means its still being decided. The link will be updated once it has been decided so just hold on to it for now :)
  • AntonioEffectsFX
    Are contestants allowed to look at others work that they post on the forums for this contest? First timer here. Just wanna make sure I don't mess up. 

Of course! With the full intent to inspire you to create something unique and awesome, I can't imagine entering without looking at all the other cool work being done to help push you! -Nate
  • Narwhql
    Offline / Send Message
    Narwhql null
    How many winners in each category will there be? 
  • joaoalexdias
    Offline / Send Message
    joaoalexdias triangle
    @_adamturnbull  hey man I have a simple questions for the animation contest, I'm doing the recall animation, do I need to do the exit from the spot and the rebirth or just the exit? Thanks!

• Aquariuus
    would it be appropriate if i dissect my story in a seperate document to allow a deeper understanding of the text to readers? A description of motifs, symbolism, structure etc. 

• Moonchild
    Offline / Send Message
    Moonchild vertex
    Hello :) I tried to upload my progress and I got this message. How can I fix it?
    • You have to be around for a little while longer before you can post links.
  • necromancer
    Offline / Send Message
    necromancer vertex
    Hi guys, Im getting this below mentioned error while updating screenshots , please let me know what is the problem.

• El_Sordomudo
    Hi guys, Im getting this below mentioned error while updating screenshots , please let me know what is the problem.

Same here, looks like I'm not the only one. I'll wait.
  • underworldguy
    Offline / Send Message
    underworldguy triangle

The same thing :(
  • Ikleyvey
    Offline / Send Message
    Ikleyvey vertex
    I've done a bit of research, and it looks like this is put in place to prevent spammers. Three comments are needed to unlock commenting on your own threads. I continue my art progress showcase by posting it in the comments of my post, right?
  • El_Sordomudo
    Ikleyvey said:
    I've done a bit of research, and it looks like this is put in place to prevent spammers. Three comments are needed to unlock commenting on your own threads. I continue my art progress showcase by posting it in the comments of my post, right?

Wow, that's unlucky, didn't know that. I have another process and  I think i got left 2 more to finish :/
  • gillmeister74
    Offline / Send Message
    gillmeister74 polycounter lvl 7
    Quick question for the character art contest: Should weapons be included on the same texture sheet as the rest of the character? Just want to double check.
  • El_Sordomudo
    Any guess? I can upload the submission, but not the entire process if I can't post any more images
  • cheeseplus
    Offline / Send Message
    cheeseplus admin
    Details are http://polycount.com/discussion/63361/information-about-polycount-new-member-introductions/p1

New accounts cannot post links, cannot use signatures, and cannot customize their avatars. You will be granted these options once you have posted three times, and are thus promoted from rank "null" to rank "vertex". These limits help us combat spammers. Become a part of the Polycount community! Give a few people some thoughtful critiques. 

• deepakp
    Offline / Send Message
    deepakp triangle
    Hi, from past few days I'm getting this message pop-up
    "You have to be around for a little while longer before you can post links".
    I have started coloring part of comp, but still unable to post my final sketch.
    Please anyone guide me or suggest.
  • Raidboss_Anivia
    Hi! For the VFX part of the competition I've read the rules here: http://polycount.com/discussion/193132/vfx-guidelines  but I had three questions I just wanted to confirm the answers to!

1.) If I am creating a Hextech Xayah ultimate may I lift the attacking orb into the air as long as it stays within the static camera FOV? 

2.) Is there any rules regarding lighting? It says to create a blank scene with two orbs but a blank scene comes with the super bright direction light by default and if my information is correct League of Legends is Unlit on the rift, correct? 

3.) One of the rules says "Sphere two receives the impact and plays some sort of status effect on itself (shield, burn, buff, etc.)" so even if I am recreating an effect that doesn't have a status effect for the sake of the competition I am adding one correct? 

Thank you for your help! 

1. The sphere should remain static to allow the VFX to carry the ability vs movement of a potential character.

2. Adding simple lighting to your scenes is perfectly acceptable.

3. Yes, your effect should have a status effect that lingers after Sphere B receives the impact.

-Nate
  • Aquallis
    Offline / Send Message
    Aquallis null
    Hi, can we create pretty much anything LoL related? There's no theme or anything right?

Edit: Nevermind, I've found the thread here if anyone else is curious: http://polycount.com/discussion/193136/illustration-guidelines#latest
  • SlackClive
    Offline / Send Message
    SlackClive polycounter lvl 2
    i have used a mesh ripped from the league of legends game for the animation category that i skinned using biped in 3ds max. The competition rules says doing this isn't advised but not actually stated not to do this. Will my entry still be valid? cheers!

You wouldn't get any bonus points for it being a League character so if possible I'd use another rig but it's more about the idea and animation quality than the rig that is used :) Good luck!

- Adam
  • Egyptian Penguin
    Offline / Send Message
    Egyptian Penguin polycounter lvl 4
    For my ultimate ability under animations, it takes place over the course of a long distance, would you want a camera parented to the root to "track" it?
  • Kassyndra
    Offline / Send Message
    Kassyndra triangle
    May I ask how do we submit the thread to you guys? Or do we not need to submit at all?
  • TinyTRex
    Offline / Send Message
    TinyTRex vertex

Contest Questions:

- Can I make multiple submissions for one category without penalty? Like several illustrations/paintings for the illustration category? (Skin Splash Art + Scenario Art etc.?)

- Are there restrictions on the submission format or the size of the file and dimensions of the artwork? 

- The requirements for showing process 

- After I submit my work into the contest can I link the posting and post pictures of my entry on my own social media pages to show to my friends without penalty? 

- I saw somewhere that contestants are required to show their work for their submissions on a polycount WIP thread? What are the details for those rules? Is there a requirement for how the steps are shown, how long they are shown for or when they are uploaded prior to making a final submission? Are there requirements for how the thread is made?

• Yanni
    Offline / Send Message
    Yanni polycounter lvl 6
    Hello,

it says in the FX Guidelines the following,
    • Sphere one casts a unique spell or projectile attacking sphere two
    • Sphere two receives the impact and plays some sort of status effect on itself (shield, burn, buff, etc.)
    Does the "some sort of status effect" need to be a result of the impact or can it be a separate effect with its own anticipation, climax and dissipation? 

Also, you're asking for 3 renders; side, top and beauty shot. Can the first two (side and top) have a slight angle, or do they need to be full on side and top view?

Thank you
  • Kassyndra
    Offline / Send Message
    Kassyndra triangle
    TinyTRex said:

Contest Questions:

- Can I make multiple submissions for one category without penalty? Like several illustrations/paintings for the illustration category? (Skin Splash Art + Scenario Art etc.?)

- Are there restrictions on the submission format or the size of the file and dimensions of the artwork? 

- The requirements for showing process 

- After I submit my work into the contest can I link the posting and post pictures of my entry on my own social media pages to show to my friends without penalty? 

- I saw somewhere that contestants are required to show their work for their submissions on a polycount WIP thread? What are the details for those rules? Is there a requirement for how the steps are shown, how long they are shown for or when they are uploaded prior to making a final submission? Are there requirements for how the thread is made?

I'm not the official but after scanning the rules I think I could answer some of your answer.

1. You, you can. They are counted as separate submissions though.

2. According to here, it must be at least 3000px WIDE

3.+5. You have to create a thread regarding your WIPs and maintain it regularly. There is no restriction for how long or how many you have to do. I poke my head at the previous winners' in Illustration and they don't have like 10+ picture. I think if you clearly show the process from sketch > color/value blocking > rendering it should be fine.

4. According to the official rules, the work you've created is yours so you can post it without penalty BUT you must acknowledge that Riot may use your work elsewhere or something (Though I think that applies only to the winner).
  • Jarran
    Offline / Send Message
    Jarran polycounter lvl 11
    Hey :) I'm working on an Aurelion Sol skin and I just thought I'd confirm that I'm alright to set up a shader in UE4 for his tail fresnel/transparency, still just using a 2048px texture + opacity alpha.

Is this okay or is that stepping outside the boundaries of the rules? Thanks
  • Bodhwell
    Offline / Send Message
    Bodhwell polycounter lvl 6
    For the Riot Contest Character Art submission guidelines, the only deliverables listed are shots and renders. But do we need to include the model itself in the ZIP file, as well?
  • MiatriKk
    Where will be rework of Udyr model?
  • Sotatsu
    Offline / Send Message
    Sotatsu polycounter lvl 4
    Hello! :)

For the animation category, do the front and side view have to be in orthographic, or can we use perspective ?

Perspective is fine as long as we have a league-style camera view too :) - Adam
  • Jingtimestwo
    Hi! I accidentally submitted a bad image in my first zip file submission in the Illustration dropbox and I quickly resubmitted it again with a FIXED heading so the correct file name for my submission would be: FIXEDRiot2017-JingjingCao-Illustration  

If you see two zip files with my name just discard the one without FIXED in the name please, Thanks you so very much!
  • EROSENTINEL
    Accidentally uploaded the wrong zip folder with a Word document instead of PDF,  I resubmitted the correct one with PDF format will my entry be ok?
  • cheeseplus
    Offline / Send Message
    cheeseplus admin
    Yep, it should be pretty clear it's a resubmit and if we have questions we will contact you
    Accidentally uploaded the wrong zip folder with a Word document instead of PDF,  I resubmitted the correct one with PDF format will my entry be ok?

• THendersonVFX
    Offline / Send Message
    THendersonVFX polycounter lvl 6
    I just realized I forgot to add the submission form! D: is there any way I can re-upload my zip with it included, or am I just disqualified since it's already after the time deadline?
  • cheeseplus
    Offline / Send Message
    cheeseplus admin
    @THendersonVFX you still have a little over an hour to submit things, go ahead and re-upload
  • THendersonVFX
    Offline / Send Message
    omg thank you so much @cheeseplus, I completely forgot the deadline was PST. I was having a heart attack
  • THendersonVFX
    Offline / Send Message
    @THendersonVFX you still have a little over an hour to submit things, go ahead and re-upload
    Does the submission form go in the zip folder, or do you keep it separate and add it as another file in the Dropbox submission?
  • Kassyndra
    Offline / Send Message
    Kassyndra triangle
    Okieeee

So now it's only waiting (and praying) right? It's so much fun, really. Too bad I cannot make it in time for illustration but at least I got to submit Vfx :sweat_smile:

• slanky
    Offline / Send Message
    slanky vertex
    I accidentally submitted my narrative as a Word doc and not a PDF... I was so worried about everything else being in order that my mind just dismissed the fact that I needed to change it to a PDF. I was wondering if this would end up being a deal breaker for the judges? If so, is there any way I can resubmit? If not, I've just posted my final submission as a PDF on my WIP thread for my story Fear Machine.  Let me know if there's anything else I can do.
  • Byakko
    Offline / Send Message
    Byakko polycounter lvl 2
    Hello, I submitted my entry without realising a Polycount account and WIP thread was needed. This was my first contest and is for the Narrative contest.

Because I was sent the link to the the Narrative forum directly, and the contest forum, I didn’t see these two requirements listed in the stickies.

The submission form also didn’t ask for my Polycount username, so I didn’t realise it was needed either.

Now I don’t know what to do. Should I create the WIP thread after the fact?