Home Technical Talk

Is there a "polystein kit" for houdini?

Hi!

My name is Kristoffer Hosea and Ive been wondering for awhile if there is anything similiar to "polystein kit" for Modo but for Houdini? Im deciding on which software to model in, mostly concepting but also procedural work, that I want to learn more about. I couldnt find anything on the net, but one of you might have a good tip. How is Houdini for modeling purposes. Both hard surface and some organic? 

Replies

• Drakosha405
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
  • pior
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    pior grand marshal polycounter
    Might want to mention that the tool shown in the video above is currently not available for purchase.
  • EarthQuake
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    These tools are cool in all, but am I the only one who watches these videos and thinks to myself, "That would be a hell of a lot easier and more efficient to work with if those were floaters"? Well, for most of the smaller/flatter bits like rivets and such at least.
  • white_wildfire
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I love you Drakhosa. ATM it is being develop and rewritten according to Gumroad, but I will keep my eyes on this for sure. I have to have this. You helped make the decision regarding indie.
  • Axi5
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Axi5 interpolator
    These tools are cool in all, but am I the only one who watches these videos and thinks to myself, "That would be a hell of a lot easier and more efficient to work with if those were floaters"? Well, for most of the smaller/flatter bits like rivets and such at least.
    I agree, I was wondering about it's usefulness at first too. I suppose it's quick to add detail to curved models as long as the topology is good. Saves some time playing with shrinkwraps.

The kit models have to be fairly generic too, in order to fit into the mesh cleanly.

I think they're useful for some but I personally won't use them.

I should build my own kitbash library sometime
  • white_wildfire
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    pior said:
    Might want to mention that the tool shown in the video above is currently not available for purchase.
    yeah, I saw that. I will mail this artist and see when he thinks he´s gonna finish the coding. Thanks man! Hopefully soon.
  • white_wildfire
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Axi5 said:
    I agree, I was wondering about it's usefulness at first too. I suppose it's quick to add detail to curved models as long as the topology is good. Saves some time playing with shrinkwraps.

The kit models have to be fairly generic too, in order to fit into the mesh cleanly.

I think they're useful for some but I personally won't use them.

I should build my own kitbash library sometime
    Its a great idea to create your own kitbash library. Ive been wanting to do that for some time.  But not only sci fi, but contemporary as well. And a huge shader library as well. 
  • white_wildfire
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    What do you mean by floaters? Sorry my lack of knowledge.

• Axi5
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Axi5 interpolator
    What do you mean by floaters? Sorry my lack of knowledge.

It's geometry that floats on the surface that sits so close it appears to be a part of the same surface. It's great for both high poly to normal maps or just plain static geometry in engine.

It's great for both because it's a great time saver and in lot's of cases can save you some tris and verts if you don't have to build the underlying topology that forms the base of the object.

Say for example you were building a vent that jutted out of a piece of geometry. Why build all of the supporting edges in when you can just lay the vent on top to make it look as though it was the same thing.
  • white_wildfire
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    #Axi5 Thats very smart, and thank you for explaining that. I see, well, it sounds like a great technique, espacially if you can save the geometry from going bad by trying to insert a detail that could turn adjusting polygons into a nightmare or save topology, like you told me. The reason I love the idea of this plug is that it saves an insane amount of time, which you can spend better, and I in fact really like the idea of making your own library of say vents, holes, patterns, screws, different small and big parts that fit perfectly into the geometry. Im very curious as to what it is going to be when this guy from Russia will present it to us. Im contemplaiting about using Houdini for modeling for many cool reasons.
  • white_wildfire
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I would say from what I´ve seen Houdini is the best tool for me for concepting and creation of assets. It is so powerful that it will take me good 6 months to get a hang on it. And thats perfect, because my internship doesnt start until this coming summer, or short thereafter. Thanks guys for your comments, its always cool to talk and reinforce your own ideas with like minded people who are in the same artistic environment.
  • Drakosha405
  • CreativeSheep
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    CreativeSheep polycounter lvl 8
    white_wildfire - since you know modo work the two together, that is after you understand Houdini.
  • white_wildfire
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    white_wildfire - since you know modo work the two together, that is after you understand Houdini.

Thanks! Yeah, I might. Its a great idea.
  • white_wildfire
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    https://sidefx.com/forum/topic/53249/

This is great news!! Thank you for letting me know.
  • white_wildfire
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Happy New Year boys!!!! Next year should be superb. Question. Can I use Houdini Apprentice to create volumetric simulations and import it into Modo and render it any way I want to? Or create hair and then import it into Modo?
  • white_wildfire
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    no worries, you guys can answer any year you want. The reason why Im asking is because it would be so extremely flowy workflow between Modo and Houdini. Create a first class procedural, for example lets say, gasous particle steam, and import it to your favorite app, which in my case is Modo. Or, you have a small, cute character and you model it in Zbrush, send it to Houdini and create this great groomed hair etc. and then import it into Modo at the end and render it with Vray that I have. ANyways, Im going to lurk on polycount because I really enjoy it and there are nice artists here as well. Have a good one.
  • Aabel
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Aabel polycounter lvl 6
    I doubt it. The export limitations on apprentice are extremely strict for obvious reasons.
  • white_wildfire
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Yes, of course Aabel. I get it. It would go against all restrictions they have for apprentice. I hope to make some further studies on this, because it does interest me alot. Thank you kindly for your clear reply.