Home Contests & Challenges Archives Riot Creative Contest 2017 Riot Creative Contest 2017 - Character Art

[RIOT CREATIVE CONTEST 2017] Character Art - Urban Swain

polycounter lvl 2
Offline / Send Message
Kairosmith polycounter lvl 2
Hello! For this entry, I will be creating a skin for Swain based on a modern urban aesthetic. Swain was released over 7 years ago, but he's a bit low on skins (only 3!) and I feel that his identity could be explored more. Swain strikes me as a sophisticated and collected individual, and it makes sense that he would dress well. Three unique characteristics of his design are his limp/cane, scarf that obscures his mouth, and his bird Beatrice.  Besides wanting to explore a different take on Swain, I really really want to see him with a flock of PIGEONS. More posts incoming!

Replies

• Kairosmith
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    First things first, research! I've just created a Pinterest board with 100+ references of classy men and pigeons. Below are a few selected images of my favorites from the board. I was debating on whether or not to tailor this to the Gentlemen skin line like Gnar and Cho'Gath, but Swain isn't really a gentleman. He's calm, calculating, and stoic, and I figure if he's dressing well, its because he's meticulous, not because he's rich. He's the kind of man who would feed pigeons because he knows food breeds loyalty, and would use his influence to rally the pigeon population into a fighting force to take over the city. Next up, sketches!

https://www.pinterest.com/paburroughs/urban-swain/

• Kairosmith
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I already have a pretty good idea about what I want this skin to look like, but I did a series of thumbnail sketches to explore a few different possibilities. 6-10 came out a bit too much like Academy Ekko because Swain has more of a triangular silhouette, but I do like the flowing scarf. 16 is really just a guy in a suit, and 21-25 are less of an urban look, though they might fit a Gentleman Swain skin. The concepts that really stick out to me are ones with a peacoat or long jacket. The popped collar on the trenchcoat in 19 has a very Swain feel to it. Next, I'll take some time to detail/color at least 5 of these before I settle on my favorite.

• Kairosmith
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I've cranked out some slightly more detailed color versions now! Black is definitely the dominant color for this skin. Blue jeans just make him look kinda like a dad (Daddy Swain?!), though a dark red shirt definitely has a very Noxian feel. I feel like his mohawk is odd with the suit, but it IS a distinguishing feature of his, and hats just make him look like a mob boss or something. Perhaps I should change the name from Urban Swain to CEO Swain, cuz he's killin' it in that suit. And then the pigeon form is just...well, I could have made it a lot cooler but its just so amazingly derpy right now and I love it ahahaha! I'll be seeing about adding better detail now and drawing it in League perspective.

• Kairosmith
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Here's the previous concept with the in-game version! With that done, time to figure out this 3D modeling stuff!

• Goldo_O
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Goldo_O greentooth
    Just discovered this thread and I really like all the work you've put in the concept! Awesome stuff!
    I hope you'll make the beret as an option! Good luck with the 3D model!
  • Elithenia
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Elithenia polycounter
    haha this is awesome! 
    Good luck! :) 
  • Kairosmith
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Unfortunately, I've run out of time to complete this character art submission. I did manage to finish my environment piece though, which you can check out here: http://polycount.com/discussion/193937/riot-creative-contest-2017-environment-art-peter-burroughs#latest

I suppose with the new Swain rework coming out, my idea isn't as relevant anyways, but I hope you enjoyed the concepts! Here were the last explorational sketches I did of the bird. #RIPBeatrice2018