Home Adobe Substance

GTX 770 2GB or GTX 760 4GB for Substance Designer

pfreshman
null
Hey guys, I know similar questions already been answered on various hardware related forums, but i need cg guys input.

I know 770 is faster and utilizes it's memory faster and i heard that even if it has less memory it still better with 2gb than lesser card with more vram. 
Also i read that 760 never meant to have 4gb because it is so slow that it wouldn't utilize all its memory fast enough.
While it is true for games, what about software like 3ds max, ZBrush or Subs Designer? Allegorithmic recommends 4gb for gpu on their website.

Right now i have 550ti with 1gb(you can laugh now) and have a chance to upgrade a little.
I lean more to 760 4gb, a bit slower but more vram. But not completely sure.

Would really like to hear what you think guys, need reassurance!

If i'm posting in the wrong place please excuse and redirect me!

Replies

• poopipe
    Offline / Send Message
    poopipe grand marshal polycounter
    For substance you want the memory above all else -  fwiw you're going to struggle with a 7series if you want to do anything bigger than 1k especially in Painter. 

Max it doesn't matter about a few fps - I was using a 760 to make PS4 games for years and the gpu was the least of my problems. 

Zbrush AFAIK barely touches your gpu (certainly used to be the case) and relies more on system RAM

Unless these are free I'd be looking at saving up for a 980 or better
    - also check with Allegorithmic on compatibility, there was an issue with memory on one of the *70 models that led to some serious issues
  • JfourArt
    Offline / Send Message
    JfourArt polycounter lvl 2
    Yeh, I agree that the 4GB of memory is more valuable than the extra speed most of the time. Since it seems you're buying used, is there anything tying you to a 700-series card? You can likely find a 900-series card, either a 960 4GB or, depending on how much you want to stretch your budget, a 970 4GB, for just a bit more than the 700-series cards.

That is, assuming saving up for a better (and newer) card altogether isn't an option.

The memory issue is in relation to the 970, where the last .5GB of memory on the card is slower than the rest. As a 970 owner myself, I've yet to notice any problems arising from it, in Substance or anywhere else.
  • pfreshman
    Thank you for the replies, guys.
    1050Ti would be better but it's out of the budget, it will cost twice the price of mentioned cards even used. Not so sure about 960, costs a bit more for the same perf imho.  
    I don't have enough money for smth better right now, but don't want to sit with 550ti either. Both cards would be much better than my 550ti. And it is the best deal i get for the money(about $120) where i live. 
    Either way I'm planning to use the card for a year, while saving for the real upgrade.
  • JfourArt
    Offline / Send Message
    pfreshman said:
    Also i read that 760 never meant to have 4gb because it is so slow that it wouldn't utilize all its memory fast enough.
    While it is true for games, what about software like 3ds max, ZBrush or Subs Designer? Allegorithmic recommends 4gb for gpu on their website.
    You're right that this is true for games, however it's not true for software or productivity. As far as I'm aware, in a lot of instances, if the software is trying to utilize the GPU but can't fit it's data into VRAM, it simply won't work at that fidelity, sometimes forcing you to work in lower resolutions and then use CPU resources for exporting, rendering, or whatever else you happen to be doing. I can't really give an overview of how each piece of software or task will react, but I'd still veer towards having a sufficient pool of memory over increased performance.

If you can get a 960 with 4GB (there are both 2GB and 4GB options here, it would have to be the 4GB to be worthwhile), it'll perform about on par with the 770 2GB, but have the VRAM of the 760 4GB, on top of supporting newer rendering features and increased power efficiency. It's the best of both options. That being said, if it's not within your budget, I'd still say to go for the extra VRAM over the performance boost.
  • pfreshman
    Looking for 960 4gb right now, but it's pretty hard to find it not only at a reasonable price but to find it at all here. For the same money i can get 780, it's easier to find and it would be better perf wise i think. If i wouldn't be able to get 960 or 780 i  will go with 760 or wait and save for smth better.
    All in all i'm feeling more confident choosing the gpu now, knowing what to look for.

Thank you for the replies, especially JfourArt, you gave me reassurance i was looking for! By the way checked your artstation, mouser looks great, keep it up!

• JfourArt
    Offline / Send Message
    Glad I could help, and thanks! I appreciate it!