Home Contests & Challenges Archives Riot Creative Contest 2017 Riot Creative Contest 2017 - Environment Art

[Riot Art Contest] - Michael Blanchard

polycounter lvl 3
Offline / Send Message
Blanchy polycounter lvl 3
Hey guys!
I'm so excited to get working on this contest! First ever contest on polycount!

I'm planning on making a very organic and nature-ie styled assets. 
Ill be posting references and sketches later on this week. 
Wish me luck! :cookie:

Replies

• Blanchy
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    OK! Lets begin :)
    First is my mood board of a small amount of research of some inspirations and references: (soz i used HoTs)

After looking at these i picked what i liked out of all of them and decided to do some small sketches in my sketchbook. Inbetween having small naps :smiley:

I made the decision to go further with the idea at the top right, originating from the Eye of Sauron idea.
    But i wanted it to look more flowery and colourful.

(disclaimer, i am not a concept artist! please judge me too harshly)

I'm kinda liking it, and i think id i add some cool particles and plants it could look really nice and peaceful.
    What do you guys think? should i carry on with this idea or keep trying? :tongue:

• Mason_Colderson
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Mason_Colderson triangle
    I guess make it look more like a turret. (In case you were trying to make a fountain model) since right now it looks more like the fountain/spawn point rather than a turret. I like the concepts and theme though!
  • brandimunroe
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    brandimunroe polycounter lvl 2
    This is a really neat inhibitor concept! I think the floral pattern is cool, but it feels very calligraphic and doesn't have the same chunky read that a lot of the ornamentation in League of Legends has. There's a really great map experience here where you can zoom in and scroll through the Summoner's Rift map. If you check out either side's base, you can see what I mean about the chunky/ blocky details on the map.
  • Blanchy
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I guess make it look more like a turret. (In case you were trying to make a fountain model) since right now it looks more like the fountain/spawn point rather than a turret. I like the concepts and theme though!
    Ah yes i see what you mean! i defiantly agree! ill make some more changes and post it here again once i am done :)
    Thanks for the feedback! 

This is a really neat inhibitor concept! I think the floral pattern is cool, but it feels very calligraphic and doesn't have the same chunky read that a lot of the ornamentation in League of Legends has. There's a really great map experience here where you can zoom in and scroll through the Summoner's Rift map. If you check out either side's base, you can see what I mean about the chunky/ blocky details on the map.
    That is a valid point!
    Ill make sure ill do the concept again and have these points in mind. Thank you for the feedback! :smiley:

• Blanchy
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Updated the concept a bit to make it looks more bold.

Still trying to keep the water and plants idea in there, like the crystal is the source of life.
    This is what ive got:

This ill be making some sculpts next if this concept is looking ok :P 
  • brandimunroe
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    brandimunroe polycounter lvl 2
    I'm really liking the updated concept, you can really feel the importance of the crystal. Can't wait to see your sculpts!
  • Blanchy
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    3D blockout of the design, I'm hoping the plants and bushes would really make this pop!

• Blanchy
    Options
    Offline / Send Message

just done a pass for textures and alpha, and put it in unreal engine as that is the only place the alpha actually works correctly... :P