Home Contests & Challenges Archives Riot Creative Contest 2017 Riot Creative Contest 2017 - Environment Art

[RIOT CREATIVE CONTEST 2017] - Nick Ward

polycounter lvl 11
Offline / Send Message
Enexus polycounter lvl 11
Ill be doing a Bilgewater themed turret and creep den. So excited to get started!

Replies

• Enexus
    Offline / Send Message
    First set of ideas for the creep den. Just the basics for now. Will add detail and props to give them a more Bilgewater feel once I decide on the direction. 

• Enexus
    Offline / Send Message
    A few quick tower concepts. Feel like the first one is the direction I will pursue. Really like the octopus motif and lots of nice ref from the Bilgewater concepts. Going to work on the creep den a little more now :)

• Bouiss
  • alutes
    Offline / Send Message
    alutes polycounter lvl 3
    I love the octopus theme, but the human skull and teeth are giving it more of a DnD beholder vibe (also cool, but not as in line with you stated intent. Either way, it's a great start, cant wait to see it go further.
  • Enexus
    Offline / Send Message
    alutes said:
    I love the octopus theme, but the human skull and teeth are giving it more of a DnD beholder vibe (also cool, but not as in line with you stated intent. Either way, it's a great start, cant wait to see it go further.
    Thanks for the feedback. I 100% agree and have made some changes because of this reason. Will post the updated concepts soon :)
  • Enexus
    Offline / Send Message
    Updated my concept for my tower based on some Bilgewater concept art from riot. Decided to do a design based on a sea serpent skeleton that's been strapped together with rope to form a tower. Might do some more iterations on the base but pretty happy with the idea overall. Any feedback is very welcome :)

Concept

• RobertTerritory
    Hey man!  I'm really loving the concept you made!  The baron skeleton with the ropes and the details all work well together :) 
    What are you planning for the base part of the tower?  Is it water?
  • Enexus
    Offline / Send Message
    Hey man!  I'm really loving the concept you made!  The baron skeleton with the ropes and the details all work well together :) 
    What are you planning for the base part of the tower?  Is it water?
    Hey mate, thanks so much for the kind words :)

I think the base will be stone or wood. Ill use the same materials that I use for the cannon I think just so it fits together. Going to do some colour and materials studies over my concept and see what works best. Stayed tuned :)
  • brettmarshalltucker
    Offline / Send Message
    brettmarshalltucker polycounter lvl 2
    Very cool design. I'm interested to see how it translates into a low poly piece.
  • PeterGandia
    Offline / Send Message
    PeterGandia polycounter lvl 4
    I miss Bilgewater... so much work on that just to be shelved.
    Love what you're doing so far. Keep going strong.
  • Enexus
    Offline / Send Message
    Very cool design. I'm interested to see how it translates into a low poly piece.
    Thanks mate, I think I might have to forego some of the details in order to make it work efficiently but ill try and keep as much as I can without going overboard on the polycount. 

I miss Bilgewater... so much work on that just to be shelved.
    Love what you're doing so far. Keep going strong.
    Yeah me too! Its such a cool environment and so much could be done with it. Hope they revisit it soon :)

Here is the latest iteration of my creep den. Still think it needs a little more work but happy with the idea and layout. Going to keep going on the concepts for another week or so then get into sculpting. Dont want to rush into it too quickly. 

• jenna_dean
    Offline / Send Message
    jenna_dean polycounter lvl 3
    Love how the tree has grown through the hole in the one creep den design!
  • Enexus
    Offline / Send Message
    @jenna_dean Thanks for the feedback. I also like this design so decided to make it the main focus of my next exploration concept :) 

Just finished working on this today. Happy to get some feedback on all my decisions so far. Going to start modelling at the start of Decemeber so still have around a week to finalize my designs. 

• Enexus
    Offline / Send Message
    Last Den concept I'm going to do. Will most likely sculpt aspects of all three that I like and end up with a combination of all my designs. Going to do a few turret base concepts now then ill be ready to start modelling!

• Enexus
    Offline / Send Message
    A few ideas for the tower base. Want to incorporate the skeleton design into the base and have something to anchor the ropes to which I why I added the back-plate. Also want to add more more materials to the design to break up the bone and rope as they are very similar in color. Let me know what you think. 

• RobertTerritory
    Hey man

This is going great!  For your Creep Den concepts, I personally prefer when the crab-shaped rocks are not the same color as the ground section.  I feel the color variation works well and we see the shape of the crab a lot better when textured in grey :)    

Keep it up!
  • Enexus
    Offline / Send Message
    @RobertTerritory Thanks for the advice. I cant believe I didnt notice it but it really stands out now that you have said it. Think ill have one final crack at it once my tower has been finalized then Im starting modelling this Saturday! 
  • Enexus
    Offline / Send Message
    In game perspective for the tower with some material exploration. Made the head a little bigger as that is the focus of the design and feel like its more balanced now. 

Thinking about adding some red cloth to the design to break it up a little. Think ill do some test concepts to see how it looks but pretty happy to start modelling at this point as the main idea is pretty solid.  

Let me know if you have any ideas for improvements.

• Enexus
    Offline / Send Message
    Just finished up my final concepts for both the tower and creep den so I can start modelling today! A few things might change but I'm happy with the overall look and feel of the designs. 

• praetus
    Offline / Send Message
    praetus interpolator
    Really cool but be careful on your material definition.  I could see the bone turret being really hard to read.
  • Enexus
    Offline / Send Message
    @praetus Thanks for the feedback Michael. Do you have any advice for breaking it up a little bit. Im worried about the read also so would appreciate any insights you might have. 
  • praetus
    Offline / Send Message
    praetus interpolator
    Make sure to have alternate materials to break it up and be mindful of leading lines and shapes.  The skeleton is obviously tied to a cannon but I can't really see it at all.  I can infer it's there but aside from the little bit sticking out of the mouth what can you see?  Maybe by making the cannon a little more visible you can get better material breakup? Rough bone vs shiny metal?

You have these really long rib bones but they feel like visual clutter.  The silhouette on your side profile is pretty strong but then it is completely hidden by the ribs.  The ribs are also hiding any visual breakup of the  cannon as well since they're covering it.
  • Enexus
    Offline / Send Message
    @praetus appreciate you taking the time to reply to me. Im currently playing around with the sculpt so ill take your advice and see if I can make a better job of it. Thanks!