Home Technical Talk

Paint Select in 3ds Max (like in Maya)

polycounter lvl 8
Offline / Send Message
Olli. polycounter lvl 8
Howdy, Ive always liked the paint select feature in Maya, so I made it one for max.

Consider this v0.01, it only works in face mode in editable polys. It functions like a toggle, run the macro once to turn on paitning, run it again when done.
Bind it to a hotkey.

Wider support for selecting stuff is hopefully on the way.. Not sure if ill be able to get it to work without making the script too laggy, but ill update here if i do.

Replies

• Justo
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Justo polycounter
    Hey Olli, I'm curious as to how this tool is any different from setting your selection tool to Paint Selection Region mode?
  • Swordslayer
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Swordslayer interpolator
    It only selects polygons on the surface that you're painting on, not through the mesh. If you want more info, there are a few existing scripts that do the same thing like PaintFaces. Some years back I wanted to do that as well but didn't quite the lag (or rather a cursor jerk) of mesh snapshots with heavy meshes, plus issues like the reliability of getting the right polygon by the three verts (yeah, it's a corner case and most of the times it won't matter but still). IIRC you also had to exit the tool?

I'd suggest submitting a request to the Ideas board instead and raise support for that, that way there'd be a proper implementation that we all want. If you do, post a link here, I'll happily vote for that.

Btw. you should dispose of the .mesh object you're getting.
  • Olli.
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Olli. polycounter lvl 8
    ive got this set up on a toggle hotkey, and i havent noticed any lag. the objects im working on fall exclusively under 30-40k though, which might not be considered high poly in some cases..
  • Geekson
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Geekson polycounter lvl 3
    Olli. said:
    Howdy, Ive always liked the paint select feature in Maya, so I made it one for max.

Consider this v0.01, it only works in face mode in editable polys. It functions like a toggle, run the macro once to turn on paitning, run it again when done.
    Bind it to a hotkey.

Wider support for selecting stuff is hopefully on the way.. Not sure if ill be able to get it to work without making the script too laggy, but ill update here if i do.
    Thanks a lot! Just tried it now, works great. Though I was a bit confused in the beginning with deselection. Just got used to a standart ctrl(+selection) and alt(-selection) way