Home 3D Art Showcase & Critiques

[Finish] Warcraft Demonic Portal -Fanart-

triangle
Offline / Send Message
PolyFox triangle
Hey everyone ! I'm starting a Warcraft Demonic Portal and I would love to hear your input on how it's turning out. I'm aiming for the Orb style of sculpt and texture. The reference if from the great Peter Lee. The plan is to do the sculpt in Zbrush, retopo in Maya, unwrap in Maya, bake with xnormal and texture it with PS and maybe a bit of substance painter to make it full PBR game-ready asset and present it in marmoset with some animations.

This is my blockout : 

Guardian sculpt, still wip, I need to apply the patern on the arm sword 

Pilar sclupt 

Apologize in advance for my bad english. I'm also kind of new here so tell me if i'm not doing things properly on the forum. :smile:

Replies

• PolyFox
    Offline / Send Message
    PolyFox triangle
    Hey, I've been workin' a bit more on it. 
    I've done majority of the sculpting part, retopo some parts, decimate others in zbrush as low poly, baked maps in substance painter and composite my base color with AO/CURVATURE/POSITION.  here is some screenshots, feel free to critics :wink: i'll post more screen with wireframe soon 

Marmoset current setup : 

dragon sculpt, IG asset coming soon

• PolyFox
    Offline / Send Message
    PolyFox triangle
    update on lighning + stairs integration :) 
  • PolyFox
    Offline / Send Message
    PolyFox triangle
    I unwrap the dragon, bake it, and integrate it into the marmoset scene. Any feedback appreciated :blush:

• Mateus
    Offline / Send Message
    Mateus interpolator
    I don't understand about environments, but I dig what you are doing here. Lookin cool!
  • PolyFox
    Offline / Send Message
    PolyFox triangle
    @Mateus Thx man! Your busts are very cool too ! 

I worked a bit more on it : 
    maybe i went a bit crazy with the stairs vertex definition what you guys think ? 
    I have 15k poly for them. 

• Jharo
    Offline / Send Message
    Jharo polycounter lvl 3
    Hi hi! This is my first critique on here. :smile: This looks pretty dope so far! I love your dragon sculpt is my favorite part of this! You can probably lower your geometry on your stairs if you get rid of the faces that do not show on camera like the side faces or back if you have any between each stairs.  Or you can even baked the detail into a lower model. Since the top of each stairs look flat all the way across (from the piece you have selected), you can get away with combining the top faces and baking the details into your ig model. So when you duplicate your stairs, you wont have that much geometry.  I can't wait to see textures on it! It looks cool so far. What's the green thing on the entrance suppose to be?
  • PolyFox
    Offline / Send Message
    PolyFox triangle
    @Jharo Hey ! Thx for your crit! I'm glad you like the dragon sculpt it was a lot of fun doing it :smile: I enjoyed a lot doing the nephalem too. For the actual stairs I have already delete the backfaces but yes stairs i think i'll try to retopo them completly with the minimum number of polygons and see what the bake look like. The green thing on the entrance is supposed to be "fel energy", floating a bit around the portal. I will try to animate the plane to have this effect but I don't really know how to do it.
    If you want to see more cleary what I mean I have a reference for it, from this demo reel : at 1"55.

• PolyFox
    Offline / Send Message
    PolyFox triangle
    Hey! Small update on the portal support and render quality in marmoset, i also put the wirefram in case you can advice me for correction or have any suggestions. 

• PolyFox
    Offline / Send Message
    PolyFox triangle
    I reworked lightning and composition, did the tileable texture for the ground of the portal. 
    Here are some new renders, I'll properly texture it as soon as possible on my spare time but as I have 2 others project at the time I don't know when :neutral:

• Nars
    Offline / Send Message
    Nars polycounter lvl 6
    The modelling looks amazing, I'm not a big fan of the portal fx tho. But all of it looks great! Good job
  • Alemja
    Offline / Send Message
    Alemja quad damage
    I hope it's not too late to adjust these designs, but they really stuck out at too thin to me:

• PolyFox
    Offline / Send Message
    PolyFox triangle
    @Nars Thx man! I come to agree with you on the portal fx, i think it need polish and adjustments. I'll tweak it for the final textured version, it's coming soon btw! 

@Alemja Thanks for pointing it out, and editing on top. I am in the substance painter texturing phase right now, so i'll try to fake the effect you've drawn in painter without resculpting. 

The progress in substance so far : 

it's coming a bit dark in marmoset :neutral: 
  • PolyFox
    Offline / Send Message
    PolyFox triangle
    I've worked a bit more on the texture, here is an update of the progress. Feedbacks are more than welcome :) 

• PolyFox
    Offline / Send Message
    PolyFox triangle
    Hey again, i'm still alive ! I tweak the lighting, the portal FX, the textures, and did some SSS crazyness on the crystal.
    I think this is my final version, I hope you like it and C&C are always welcome :)