Home Contests & Challenges Archives Riot Creative Contest 2017

Riot Creative Contest 2017 - QA

admin
Offline / Send Message
Pinned
cheeseplus admin
Hello! If you are participating in the Riot Creative Contest and have some questions in regards to the contest, please ask them here.

As a reminder, the important dates for this contest are:
  • Contest starts November 6th, 2017
  • The deadline for entries is January 31st, 2018 @ 23:59 PST (GMT -7)
  • Winners will be announced March 1st, 2018

Replies

• FemCharles
    Offline / Send Message
    FemCharles greentooth
    Hey

For the 3D character art section is it possible to dramatically change a mesh of a character.? For example a reskin idea that would require a lot remodeling rather than just some parts being remodeled and a texture change. I hope that question make sense!
  • Archanex
    Offline / Send Message
    Archanex polycounter lvl 18
    Would it be a bad idea for animators to animate models that are ripped directly from League of Legends?
  • LukaMivsek
    Hey, question about illustration

in Official Contest Rules pdf file, there are entries for both Illustration (realistic) and Illustration (stylized), but in the Illustration Guidelines forum thread none of that is mentioned (like it is in VFX Guidelines forum thread for example). So I guess I just want to clear this up, can we do realistic illustration?

• _adamturnbull
    Archanex said:
    Would it be a bad idea for animators to animate models that are ripped directly from League of Legends?
    Hey man, yeh I'd avoid using ripped assets. There are plenty of free rigs out there. Check out the community resources thread on the animation forum for a bunch of links:

http://polycount.com/discussion/184948/community-rigs-and-resources
  • alemar95
    Offline / Send Message
    alemar95 null
    Hello! For the VFX portion:
    I know it was said to use any software we want. 

Does that mean any?
    I am thinking of using a mix of Maya and After Effects.  This being a fan art contest, I figure as long as I follow the guidelines and do what needs to be done, it should be fine to use after effect correct? I am not strict to Unreal/unity/3ds etc. right?

Edit: just saw that the effects need to be in engine

is it ok to use flipbook or bring in animated sequences from the program of choice?

q2. What do you consider a beauty shot in an effect like this?

q3. Is lifesteal considered an attack and status debuff for the second sphere?

Flipbooks and totally fine. Your beauty shot should be the angle that displays your effect the best. If you are doing a stylized effect it would be best seen from an angle similar to League, otherwise it's up to you. As long as the lifesteal is something that is playing on sphere B then go right ahead! 
  • akeldam
    Offline / Send Message
    akeldam null
    Hello, I just found out that someone already thought of a skin idea I had (Seasonal Zyra). The ideas are quite different, but I still would like to know if I can go on with my project or move onto something else? Thanks!
  • nuxar
    Offline / Send Message
    nuxar null
    Hey! Super excited to participate in my first contest.

I am wondering if it is possible to do collaborative work (but not teamwork, necessarily). What I wanted to do is make my 2 fanmade skins for 2 champions, and have a friend of mine make an illustration of the 2 skins (together in the same illustration, much like at riot!). We wouldn't share assets other than his illustration representing my models.

Basically, his illustration is his creation (but simply representing my fan skins), and my 3d models are my creation. Is this ok or does it break the teamwork rule?
  • ifurkend
    Offline / Send Message
    ifurkend null
    This is my first time to enter this contest, so sorry for more questions:
    1. How much commitment is required to maintain my own WIP thread?
    2. Can I start my WIP thread barely before the submission deadline if I want to keep my concept and technique secret until the last minute? In fact, is there a deadline to start the WIP thread other than the submission deadline?
    3. Does the explanation or presentation in my WIP thread affect the judging of my actual submission?
    And thank Nate for the replies of my last posts about post-processing fx and video format which cleared my doubts.

We do not specify about WIP deadlines, or the amount of work to show. It is required to show your work in progress as you probably know. Quantifying that would be very difficult, but we want to see your thought process that went into your final entry and what your working on. You don't need to breakdown how things are made if you do not wish, but we do need to see what you make. Judges will be looking at that and taking that into consideration. Your top priority should be making kickass effects. For most artists, it's easy to go blind to your own work, so when you make a significant enough step in a direction, gut checking how people react is always an easy way to making a badass effect ;) -Nate
  • InkRose
    Offline / Send Message
    InkRose node
    Hello, for narrative can we mesh both story elements and artwork? Like, mix text-based stuff with story illustrations and even perhaps comic panels?
  • Jotaguinsoo
    Hello, for narrative can I make the piece both in English and Spanish although only the English, untranslated, part would go into the contest?

Aslo, if a friend of mine is competing for illustration can she make a piece based on my story?

Cheers and thanks for the opportunity! ^^
  • AntoineArthur
    Hello, are we allow to use a private engine ?
  • motenai
    Offline / Send Message
    motenai polycounter lvl 18
    Hi, one question for Character art: it is specified that we can do a Standard Character, a skin of choice, or come up with our own skin creation. Does any of these 3 options influence in different ways the final vote of the judges? Or the final vote is purely on the technical skill?
  • Odow
    Offline / Send Message
    Odow polycounter lvl 8
    Hello, are we allow to use a private engine such as Ubisoft's engine ? 
    It's not even legit from the ubisoft side :/ You cannot used internal software for personal use.
  • FirDrawsStuff
    Offline / Send Message
    FirDrawsStuff polycounter lvl 3
    Hello! It's my first time on this site and on this contest, so I wanted to ask -
    What does the Zip file does here? I mean, I know the formats PNG, JPG, PSD and etc., but is it necessary to upload them in ZIP file? And if yes, what kind of pictures do I need to put in it? Like, W.I.P and finished product or something else too?
  • AntoineArthur
    Odow said:
    Hello, are we allow to use a private engine such as Ubisoft's engine ? 
    It's not even legit from the ubisoft side :/ You cannot used internal software for personal use.
    Ok thanks for you answer, i will go for unity then :/
  • KurtOzz
    Offline / Send Message
    KurtOzz triangle
    Hello !

2 questions : 

- Do we only have to create a topic in the sub-section with name of the contest + keep it updated to enter the contest or are there other ways to officially enter it ?

- How about our "property" rights ? I mean, I want to enter the Sound Design section, and it is specified that we need to create original recordings/sound design + give the DAW project with all audios, etc. Can you use our work freely after the contest ? I don't want to insinuate anything, but just want to understand how does this works. It is a lot of work (1:30 min), abundant scenes, voice overs, etc. All of this will be done on our (at least my) spare time (I'm a sound designer full time), and I don't want that work/workflow being used freely and/or without my permission. Can you give more infos about that ? Once again, no offense intended here, I'm super excited about this contest ! :)

Thanks for your answer !
  • Orewatta
    Offline / Send Message
    Orewatta null
    Can we use unfinished work that has already been "published" (by published i mean i posted in my personal portfolio url and shared in other webs). It is unfinished since I just made the highpoly model without working the lowpoly + textures model. Can I use it? Its fanart but 100% designed by me
  • jlmayen
    Offline / Send Message
    jlmayen vertex
    Hi everyone!

I have 2 questions:

- I am participating on the Character Art category. Is it ok to do a paintover for my own concept on top of one found at universe.leagueoflegends.com?
    - Do we need to register to the leagueoflegends.com website apart from polycount? It says something about the leagueoflegends membership in the official rules.

Thank you!!
  • Khurshid
    Offline / Send Message
    Khurshid null
    Hello,

I'm interested in the Illustration category. I was wondering if I can submit multiple entries for the illustration category? Or only one? If multiple, I'm assuming I would make a separate topic per entry?

Thanks!

As per the FAQ - you can enter multiple categories and have as many entries per category as you want but each count as an individual entry. - cheeseplus
  • ajramsey28
    Offline / Send Message
    ajramsey28 triangle
    Hi I have another animation question. It says on the rules consider the LOL game camera view. Do all the play blast need to be in that view or can we change the angle a bit on some of the play blast to show a less top down view?
    Thank you!

Make sure there is a playblast from the LOL game camera view and if you wanted to playblasts from other views that would be great too! - Adam
  • Dhairyasheel
    Offline / Send Message
    Dhairyasheel polycounter lvl 6
    hi, is it only one entry per person in animation especially ?

As per the FAQ - you can enter multiple categories and have as many entries per category as you want - cheeseplus
  • FirDrawsStuff
    Offline / Send Message
    FirDrawsStuff polycounter lvl 3
    Hello!
    Since it would be my first time participating, I got few questions -
    If I want to make a skin concept, do I have to enter Character Art category or Illustration category?
    What is necessary to be included, and what 'can' be included to the ZIP file?
    How much WIPs do I need to post?
    Do I have to include WIPs in the ZIP file, or do I have to just upload them at a different category?
    What kind of formats do I need for WiPs and finished projects?
    Edit 1 -  Also, can I still join if I'm from Lithuania? (It's near Russia, in Europe)
    I would be really happy if someone could answer at least some of them ;-;
  • ThatGuyTom
    Offline / Send Message
    ThatGuyTom polycounter lvl 2
    Hey
    Glad to enter my first contest, just a quick question, do I need too register or anything for to enter this contest? and if so will I need too register for different categories?

You just need to be registered on polycount, have a WIP thread, and follow the submission guidelines for each category you would like to enter (these will be posted soon). - cheeseplus

• TamarSchwartz
    Hello, 
    When we are finished with the art piece, what is TBD and where do i go to submit it?

TBD stands for To Be Disclosed - as in we've not posted these yet as we don't expect anyone to be finished already. We will be posting these very soon. -cheeseplus
  • kaihc
    Offline / Send Message
    kaihc null
    Rig: https://goo.gl/6WPgvC
    HI, I bought this rig for animation contest, but somehow it's a character from darksiders. It said its editorial use allowed, can I still use this rig for this contest? thank you

Hey, I've contacted the creator of the rig and he said it's fine to use :) - Adam

Thank you for the help!
  • Kris_Ma
    Offline / Send Message
    Kris_Ma null
    Can I use RIg from here ?  https://gumroad.com/discover?query=Tre+vital#

Thanks

You can use any rig as long as they weren't ripped from another game or acquired illegally so those rigs should be fine to use! - Adam
  • dr_pettrovich
    Offline / Send Message
    dr_pettrovich polycounter lvl 6
    Hey, for character category, is it allowed to use emissive texture?
  • LolDio
    Offline / Send Message
    LolDio null
    Hello
    When will the prizes be announced? 
    Also, when will the winners be announced?
  • genxsxi
    Offline / Send Message
    genxsxi null
    jlmayen said:
    Hi everyone!

I have 2 questions:

- I am participating on the Character Art category. Is it ok to do a paintover for my own concept on top of one found at universe.leagueoflegends.com?
    - Do we need to register to the leagueoflegends.com website apart from polycount? It says something about the leagueoflegends membership in the official rules.

Thank you!!
    Yeah I want to ask the same thing. I saw on the "General Rules" section that states:
    • Contest starts November 6, 2017 at 11:59 PM Pacific Time (PT). Stay tuned for official contest rules and guidelines which will be announced then!
    • The deadline for entries is January 31, 2018 at 11:59 PM Pacific Time (PT)
    • Winners will be announced and posted on Polycount, RealTime VFX, and on a Riot Art Site TBA
    • Artists participating in this contest must be a member of the Polycount Community.

So is the only requirement to join this contest the membership at Polycount? Like jlmayen asked, is membership at leagueoflegends.com needed?
  • Lennyagony
  • genxsxi
    Offline / Send Message
    genxsxi null
    genxsxi said:
    jlmayen said:
    Hi everyone!

I have 2 questions:

Thank you!!
    Yeah I want to ask the same thing. I saw on the "General Rules" section that states:
    • Contest starts November 6, 2017 at 11:59 PM Pacific Time (PT). Stay tuned for official contest rules and guidelines which will be announced then!
    • Winners will be announced and posted on Polycount, RealTime VFX, and on a Riot Art Site TBA
    • Artists participating in this contest must be a member of the Polycount Community.

So is the only requirement to join this contest the membership at Polycount? Like jlmayen asked, is membership at leagueoflegends.com needed?
    Hello anyone? Any admin can respond to this?
  • _adamturnbull
    genxsxi said:
    jlmayen said:
    Hi everyone!

I have 2 questions:

Thank you!!

Hey, yep all you need is a free membership at Polycount :)
  • Sillyg00se
    I was wondering for the VFX riot creative contest, if I were to go for the more realistic style, could I do it as if were to be placed in a cinematic instead of inside a game engine, so I wouldn't have to worry about real time?
    Many thanks, Sillyg00se

We're looking for entries that are geared towards video games, not cinematics. That goes for the realistic and stylized categories for VFX. Final entries must be presented within a game engine. -Nate
  • Lucasthyel
    It's my first time here in the Riot Art Contest, so reading the rules I saw that there are some country restrictions, including Brazil (my country). So can I participate in the forums and create artwork for this contest, even if not eligible for the prize? My point is, will my art be disregarded from the contest because of country restrictions? Thanks in advance!

Short version: You can only participate and be judged in the contest if you are eligible as determined by the official rules. Unfortunately this is tricky because of how the laws work - if we allowed your entries to be judged, you'd deserve a prize if you win - we can't really do something where a person wins but doesn't receive a prize. Sorry :( -cheeseplus

EDIT: Oh, that's sad! :( But thank you for answering, cheeseplus! 
  • ZET0n1ck
    Can i make a new champion idea for the contest ? .
    excuse me if my english are bad , im not english speaker. :smile:
  • Dhairyasheel
    Offline / Send Message
    Dhairyasheel polycounter lvl 6
    i have few questions 
    do i have to have league of legends account ?
    i am from Asia, India and my summoner account region is north america when i created LOL online account so will that be problem?
  • Volt_Illusion
    Guys, tell me please:
    1) where to take the default model from the league, or to sculpt independently of a random size?
    2) When the skin is ready, can I use any site for the show, or is it possible to import the skin into the game, as in dota2?
    3) You need only one diffuse map, and that's all? Do you even need a normal map?
  • genxsxi
    Offline / Send Message
    genxsxi null
    i have few questions 
    do i have to have league of legends account ?
    i am from Asia, India and my summoner account region is north america when i created LOL online account so will that be problem?
    Hi, it has been answered. You need no LOL account for this.  :D
  • MrLysaght
    Offline / Send Message
    MrLysaght polycounter lvl 2
    I have a question about the VFX category : I understand that moving or applying textures to the spheres is not permitted, but is it possible to apply a deformation of some kind ? For example, a "black-hole" effect that collapses the sphere's vertices in a single point.

Sounds good man, go right ahead! -Nate
  • Axel_Alpizar
    Se puede participar en español (narrativa) o me veo obligado a participar en inglés?
    Can I participate in Spanish (narrative) or do I have to participate in English?
  • Yanni
    Offline / Send Message
    Yanni polycounter lvl 6
    Hello, 

It says in the Official Contest Rules, ARE NOT RESIDENTS OF CUBA, IRAN, NORTH KOREA, IRAQ, SUDAN, SYRIA, GREECE, ITALY, BRAZIL, OR QUEBEC; AND (IV) ARE LEGAL RESIDENTS OF A COUNTRY OR TERRITORY WHERE THIS OFFER IS NOT VOID (“ENTRANTS​”). THIS CONTEST IS VOID IN CUBA, IRAN, NORTH KOREA, IRAQ, AND IN ANY NATION OR LOCALE WHERE PROHIBITED BY RELEVANT LAW OR BY U.S. TRADE RESTRICTIONS.

I have a Greek passport but I work and live in the US on an H1-B visa, can I participate?

EDIT: I also have a US driver's licence which has a US address. 
  • KamirooWolf
    Question for the Narrative section.

Would a story revolving around life in a Runeterran environment(not specifically focused on a champion) be acceptable or are you looking for champion-oriented stories only?
  • joaoalexdias
    Offline / Send Message
    joaoalexdias triangle
    Hey all!
    Questions for the animation about the 3/4 view playblast!

In the QnA:

"What angle and FOV should I use for my assets? The angle to use is around 55 degrees with the FOV being 40.  "

1. has mentioned I set the camera rotate X = 55 and the angle of view (FOV)= 40 is this right? (my latest playblast: http://polycount.com/discussion/194402/riot-creative-contest-2017-wip-joao-dias#latest)

2.from the 3/4 view what side should our character be, for example usually in a run the character is in 3/4 back, and in a recall is in 3/4 front or side. Is there a rule about this our we just set the 3/4 view in a way that best represent our character animation?

Thanks!

• afswqq122
    Hey, I have a few questions in regards to the narrative contest,
    I just wanted to know how does this prosses works from a to z, 
    meaning how (and where) do I submit my work (and final version of my work) of fiction for the competition? 
    how can I be assured that no one would plagiarize my work?
    and if there were any limits in regards to the story writing (meaning: in mature language, violence, etc.)?
  • valuemeal
    Offline / Send Message
    valuemeal polycounter lvl 6
    Large question for environments
    Are shopkeepers at allowed or is that off limits? 
    It is base camp for players. So it would qualify as a camp no?
  • KellyJohnson3DArt
    Offline / Send Message
    KellyJohnson3DArt polycounter lvl 6
    Heya @YBourykina!

Are we allowed to add little pets with the character entry? Like could something miniature possibly go with and can it go on the same submitted Summoner character map or a new one? 
  • rocifier
    Offline / Send Message
    rocifier null
    Hi, what are the prizes? Will we get a job interview? :D
  • rocifier
    Offline / Send Message
    rocifier null
    Are there any restrictions on VFX complexity? For example high particle count renders vs realtime?

We have not stated how complex or simple your effect should be. You're goal should be to make really good effects, however, keep in mind that this is for realtime, and should run in a game engine smoothly. -Nate
  • raphoni
    Offline / Send Message
    raphoni vertex
    hey
    I am interested  in the illustrations category.
    I noticed the last winners were all 2d illustrations.
    so my question is  are 3d illustrations  allowed ?
  • richard_mcd_green
    Offline / Send Message
    richard_mcd_green polycounter lvl 3
    How functional do the in engine VFX need to be. As in, would a projectile need to be homing like it would in the game, given that the spheres don't move. Only because I'm thinking of importing an alembic file into Unreal to animate a projectile, but obviously that would only work if everything was static and the positions were known.

Do not worry about design or hookup side. Timing "hacks" are perfectly acceptable. Since we aren't moving the spheres at all, feel free to spawn your particles however you like (time offsets for hit effects, missile "homing" is really just velocity in an axis, etc.... these things are totally ok). -Nate