Home 3D Art Showcase & Critiques

When the dude comes model

polycounter lvl 4
Offline / Send Message
MartinTK polycounter lvl 4
Been working on this model for a while now, going to start retopologizing it so that i can texture it and have it rendered in marmoset. Heavily inspired by the work of Nivanh Chanthara. This is the biggest project I've taken on yet so let me know if you guys have any advice or tips. I can still make small changes to the model while I'm retopologizing so if you have any input on this guy just let me know :)

Used a combination of Nivanh's works, but my main concept was this image which was a mashup of 2 of his works.

Replies

• kanga
    Offline / Send Message
    kanga quad damage
    Really nice sculpt! Dunno about the pose. Is this for 3d printing? If its for game or animation then no 'A' pose is going to make things difficult, plus the cloak is blown against his legs at the back. I would have done everything in a neutral and 'as symmetrical' as possible state. Under the left arm looks a bit unfinished,  could also be because its probably hard to get at in the current state. I love the spider face back. Looks like well arranged clay strips. Super!
  • MartinTK
    Offline / Send Message
    Thanks for the advice kanga, He would be for a game model. I just set him in more of a posed position to match the concept more. But I'll try and transpose master him into more of an A pose before I get too far along with my retopology. I think I'll be able to quickly redo the skirt in more of a neutral pose in marvelous for the game ready model too. Hmmmm, good point on the left arm too, I think I'll stick some wiring/piping under his arm so that it doesn't look like it's floating.
  • kanga
    Offline / Send Message
    kanga quad damage
    Ah so. Ok, look forward to seeing this further along!
  • MartinTK
    Offline / Send Message
    Made a bunch of more small tweaks, lengthened his legs, and put him into more of a neutral pose.

I'm about halfway done with my lowpoly and will post it soon.
  • MartinTK
    Offline / Send Message
    Haven't posted an update in a while.
    Got my Low poly and Bakes done. Using an ID map for the albedo right now, going to fully texture it in substance painter.

• MartinTK
    Offline / Send Message
    Been a while since a post again. Started texturing in substance painter and working with rendering in marmoset. Still need to fine tune the materials and add small details and decals.

• dGreenberg
    Offline / Send Message
    dGreenberg polycounter
    I really like how you handled the face and head, @MartinTK! The concept is definitely more abstract and busy than the usual space monster so it's really cool to see how you tackled things to flesh out the character. It might be too late to mention since you're already at the texturing stage, but his left arm bicep feels like it's both thicker and a little longer than the original concept. It's definitely not a huge thing but it caught my eye. 

(sorry about the blurry liquefy stuff)

The material on the top of the head is looking great and the black rock and bone coming off of him are reading really nicely. With his outfit being a little dark it'd be great to see him with some strong lighting or on a lighter background to see his details for later shots. Really looking awesome right now though and I hope you keep pushing him!