Home Contests & Challenges Archives Riot Creative Contest 2017 Riot Creative Contest 2017 - Animation

[Riot Creative Contest 2017] - Luke Madden

polycounter lvl 4
Offline / Send Message
Luk0 polycounter lvl 4
This is my WIP placeholder thread. 

I am thinking about using the Rocket Girl rig. 

Replies

• Luk0
    Offline / Send Message
    Luk0 polycounter lvl 4
    Started blocking little run to feel out the rig and type character I want her to be. Only a few poses in here now, but I am delighted to have actually made a start!, thats always the hardest bit for me! Its a pretty plain cycle at the moment, I was kind of basing it off a high jumper starting their run up (Hence why her torso is so vertical), I might add some little rocket thrusts every few steps to break it up and give her a little boost along.

• asphaltcowboy
    Offline / Send Message
    asphaltcowboy polygon
    It's a great start! Lots of character already. Snappy timing is really nice - can you animate the head independently of the bowl? That's definitely something to look at!
  • Luk0
    Offline / Send Message
    Luk0 polycounter lvl 4
    So im going for a bit of a double bounce with the rocket pack. Not so convinced it works. Im going keep working on it for the weekend and see how it goes! 

If anyone has any notes or thoughts I'd love to hear it! :D

https://syncsketch.com/sketch/205497#287006

• ajramsey28
    Offline / Send Message
    ajramsey28 triangle
    I like the idea of the bounce from her little jet pack. I think it could be pushed a little more, like have her go way in the air kind of like a jump or a skip. I cant wait to see your next progress. 
  • Luk0
    Offline / Send Message
    Luk0 polycounter lvl 4
    Made some more updates to this. I wasn't fully happy with the double bounce, so I have tried a longer single rocket boost step. Looking a bit nicer now, I'm gonna try spline this out during the week. Might try record some reference for my recall animation as well.

• KielFiggins
    Offline / Send Message
    KielFiggins polycounter lvl 7
    The arms snapping back might be a bit too quick/broad, but all and all this reads much clearer.
  • Luk0
    Offline / Send Message
    Luk0 polycounter lvl 4
    The arms snapping back might be a bit too quick/broad, but all and all this reads much clearer.
    Thanks Kiel. I agree about the arms, will address that tonight!
  • Luk0
    Offline / Send Message
    Luk0 polycounter lvl 4
    Took a break from the movement cycle for a bit, started looking at the recall I want to do. My idea for it is for her trying to rocket boost herself back to base, but the rocket malfunctions, and when she tries to see what happened it launches and shoots off screen when shes not ready or in her heroic pose. Blocked out the first 1/3 or so this morning. After the first push, she relaxes a bit, then goes to launch again into a even more stretched pose, then realizes something is wrong so relaxes back to check the rocket, and it launches suddenly sending her spiraling off screen. It reads pretty well from the top down view so I am happy with the direction its taking!

• Luk0
    Offline / Send Message
    Luk0 polycounter lvl 4

Finally finished blocking my recall out. Would love anyones thoughts on it so far. :)

https://syncsketch.com/sketch/205497#291475
  • ajramsey28
    Offline / Send Message
    ajramsey28 triangle
    lol omg I love how awkward she is. XD 
  • asphaltcowboy
    Offline / Send Message
    asphaltcowboy polygon
    Left you some notes - it looks great! Now push everything much further! :)
  • Huski
    Offline / Send Message
    Huski triangle
    man i love this character's personality!
  • Luk0
    Offline / Send Message
    Luk0 polycounter lvl 4

Here is the walk I am going with. Wanted to do something simpler that showed off her character better than a weird run jump combo I had. It will work well with my recall, which I am in the middle of redoing to be much more fun, and less committed to my reference. Anyone have any thoughts on the walk? How I could push it? I think its a bit slow for the game, but will look at retiming it this week. (There is a weird artefact on the arm in the side view, that's just a playblast error)

Vimeo - 

SyncSketch - 

https://syncsketch.com/sketch/1eb4b408e818/#320912

• Luk0
    Offline / Send Message
    Luk0 polycounter lvl 4
    Decided to go for a more cartoony approach for my current recall animation, and wanted to break off from the reference heavy first attempt you can see in the above posts! Here is an attempt to previs it with grease pencil (I'm terrible at drawing but trying to improve!) 

https://syncsketch.com/sketch/1eb4b408e818/#320979

• AnthonyAnimation
    Offline / Send Message
    AnthonyAnimation greentooth
    Cool idea! I think there needs to be a bigger pose change from when she's looking at her jetpack and her shooting off. Without effects you'll need to sell the end with poses because it happens so fast. Another option is to not have her shoot straight up, but to the side and back so there's more time to read what's happening. 
  • Luk0
    Offline / Send Message
    Luk0 polycounter lvl 4
     Another option is to not have her shoot straight up, but to the side and back so there's more time to read what's happening. 
    Yeah thats a good idea. I'll try that later on when I get home from work! Thanks! :D 
  • Luk0
    Offline / Send Message
    Luk0 polycounter lvl 4
    So I have splined my recall, and even though there is a lot wrong with it now, I think with about.. 5 or 6 more hours work this evening I will feel ok about submitting it! The arms are still all over the place, was mainly focussed on the hips

My main issue to deal with later is the strobing effect on the arms as they do that windmill when she is losing balance.I need to try and bring in some multiple hands maybe... Just have to figure out how to do that first! 
  • AnthonyAnimation
    Offline / Send Message
    AnthonyAnimation greentooth
    @Luk0 you can select the polygons you want and Ctrl + D to duplicate it. Then just animate the visibility, translation, rotation, etc.
  • Luk0
    Offline / Send Message
    Luk0 polycounter lvl 4
    Well I submitted!

Here is my final walk and recall.

There is a lot I wished I did differently, but I can only learn from that going forward! So in that sense, it was a successful exercise!

The walk is a bit slower than I would like. I experimented with a sped up version in Adobe Premiere, but I couldn't make it work out in Maya.