Home 3D Art Showcase & Critiques

Looking for critique on my portfolio (environment art)

Benjammin
greentooth
Offline / Send Message
Benjammin greentooth
Hello Polycount,

Long-time reader, first-time poster here. I'm in the process of looking for new work for the first time in several years (I've been in a freelance/self-employed situation), and I was hoping to get some critique on my portfolio.
https://www.artstation.com/benjaminwood
Please check it out if you have the time/inclination - any feedback is appreciated!

Replies

• Meloncov
    Offline / Send Message
    Meloncov greentooth
    Victorian Study: Your individual assets are looking pretty strong, but they aren't coming together as a compelling scene. First and foremost, work on the lighting and composition. Right now the focal point is the map, in the very corner of the frame, which isn't ideal. Make sure you have a clear hierarchy of lights, with your key light drawing focus to your focal point, while keeping the other lights much softer. Allow more of the scene to fall into deep shadow (but not pure black) to better sell the sense of nighttime.

The other issue is that so much screen space is taken up by your stone wall tiling texture, which is pretty bland. Lighting will help break it up, but giving that material another pass, and maybe adding a few more elements to break up the walls (columns, wall hangings, etc.) would also help.

Rowboat: It looks pretty good, but the roughness could use a bit more love, as well as some more attention to grunge buildup in crevices. Also, I wouldn't include a wireframe in your thumbnail; start with a beauty render, then show breakdowns.

Rocks: I'd get rid of these in your portfolio. The normal map feels too soft and muddy, and the albedo and roughness are feeling flat

Depth: The lighting and materials on this feel very last-gen. That's not surprising considering how old it is, but it'd benefit you to get more newer stuff into your portfolio.
  • Benjammin
    Offline / Send Message
    Benjammin greentooth
    Thank you for the feedback, Meloncov - I really appreciate it!
  • Benjammin
    Offline / Send Message
    Benjammin greentooth
    Right, so I've done some rework on my study scene. I decided to give up on Unity for the moment and rebuilt the scene in Unreal. 

Most of the props haven't been placed yet, and the lighting is just a preview build, but I would really appreciate any feedback. I'm struggling a bit with getting the lighting right - trying to clearly define important props without losing the deep shadows. I'm using one blue directional light with a bit of volumetric fog for scattering, and 2 point lights on the candles.

• Meloncov
    Offline / Send Message
    Meloncov greentooth
    It immediately stands out as a much more striking image. I'd tone the saturation of the blue down, though, unless you're going for a cartoon look.
  • Benjammin
    Offline / Send Message
    Benjammin greentooth
    Thanks Meloncov, good to know I'm on the right track :)