Home 3D Art Showcase & Critiques

The SoulEater

polycounter lvl 5
Offline / Send Message
Vermo3D polycounter lvl 5
Hi polycounters 

Back with a new project this time i'm trying to do something i'm not used to. Not a big monster hulk stuff for this time but a kind of fallen demon who's a soul eater. He is supposed to go throught the vale and gather the lost souls.

Anyway early Wips since it's directly from my mind i might have some hard time with the design so any help will be appreciated and rewarded with beer if one day we meet ^^.

cheers ^^

Replies

• Vermo3D
    Offline / Send Message
    Hi fellow polycounters !! Hope you're all ready for the summit that's comming and for those who went to the THU hope it was great ^^. So i made some progress on the demonic dude and i'm having a hard time for some design decisions. 

Hope you will all be able to help me choose the right path ;)
    so if you could tell me for the both picture which one you will choose ^^

• dGreenberg
    Offline / Send Message
    dGreenberg polycounter
    Hey @Vermo3D! Awesome looking character so far. I'd choose B for the first image. The skull-teeth-for-mouth feels a little overdone with demons, and I think the thinner face and more original mouth on B make the creature look pretty sinister. 

For the second design choice, it looks like the main difference are the horns / direction, so I guess it depends on the type of feel you want to give the character? A might be your weaker option. The horns are smaller and they remind me of a lot of demon type characters. B is a bit better since I think the horns are now more intimidating, and with them slanting back they still give him an air of confidence / intelligence. C is fun, and gives him a more aggressive / combative feel. Maybe a little less intelligent but a little more savage? 

With the great detail you have on his torso I think it'd be a shame not to play up the detail and attention on his neck and face. It could also be cool to play around with some different horn designs and just see what other shapes you can come up with if you're not sold on the current 3. I really like what you got going on right now, and I can't wait to see which direction you take the character next!
  • TJ-Works
    Offline / Send Message
    TJ-Works polycounter lvl 5
    Hello!

Looking over your initial posts, I'm curious if you're looking at any references as inspiration for SoulEater? Any relevant concept art or character designs can help give you ideas you can nitpick and incorporate into your character. Off the top of my head, maybe Stephen Oakley's work might help?

From your posts, I like the feel of the outward horns in (C) for it's intimidation, although maybe play with the shape further as it reminds me too much of typical Satan/Devil horns. Are you going for a humanoid appearance? Whether or not you are, the body proportions could use more experimentation as they look awkward IMO. I don't think the thin limbs mesh well with the broad shoulders and muscular torso. They also don't influence his silhouette as it isn't striking as his character could be. I can see an odd bone sticking out of left arm in the angle shot. Maybe play around with bones or scales sticking out of his limbs to improve his silhouette? Also, what's going on around his pelvis area?

I like the level of detail you're applying to the sculpture in his bones and musculature. I think his actual design needs more work and tweaking to make his character more engaging to look at. I like where you're going with the face and the exposed heart. Maybe you could sketch over the character in Photoshop before you decide what detail to sculpt in Zbrush? I hope my feedback made sense. Keep it going. :P 
  • Vermo3D
    Offline / Send Message
    @dGreenberg thx a lot for all the advice ^^ i will definitly try some other design for the horns to see what's the most interesting and i really loved the explanation you made for the 3 choices ^^. I will definitly add more details to his face and the neck area i haven't done it yet because i wasn't sure of which face to pick ^^. I will try to experiment on the B face to see what i can do on this one ^^ and Again Thx a lot for the feedback :)

@TJ_Works Thx for all the advice and thx for the inspiration. Actually i'm mostly looking for idea on how to improve this dude so i will definitly check Oakley's work. 
    As for his anatomy i will try to play more with the shoulder area and the arms so it really impact the silhouette, the bones are sticking out of the elbow right now but wasn't sure about this design choices^^. I would also love to know what you mean by what's going on about his pelvis ? ahah

Anyway thx a lot to both of you for your feedbacks and support ^^
  • Vermo3D
    Offline / Send Message
    Hi polycounters ^^ hope you are all okay and enjoying stranger things 2 ^^.
    It's been a bit of time since the last update i was busy at work and sick and got a new gig as a character artist for airship image !!
    Made a lot of progress on the demon dude, finally decided the type of horns and started to add some cool details around his body.

Here are two screen of the demon feedback are welcome !!! feel free to share ;)
  • Vermo3D
    Offline / Send Message
    Hi guys it's been a while since the last update. I've done the texturing inside substance and now moving to the shader inside marmoset ^^ i'm facing a dilemna this dude is supposed to have a blue blood with blueish skin and human soul have traditionnaly a blue tint but the red version looks pretty cool for a demon so need some help to choose ^^.