Home 3D Art Showcase & Critiques

Magenta (Beyond Human Challenge)

polycounter lvl 2
Offline / Send Message
sstoev polycounter lvl 2
Hey there folks!
I've started a character for the most recent Artstation contest, but unfortunately couldn't finish it, because of personal stuff. However, I really liked the concept and I started working on her again, so I will post my progress here form now on.
I am new to Polycount, but I really liked the post-progress-feedback experience of the challenges, as well as the community spirit and the support, so hopefully this will be as good :D
Here is my unfinished Artstation thread, so if you want you can see where I kicked off. - https://www.artstation.com/contests/beyond-human/challenges/24/submissions/21222

Here is the concept as well, by Daria Rashev

Replies

• sstoev
    Offline / Send Message
    sstoev polycounter lvl 2
    Here is a WIP shot in Zbrush which I took a couple of days ago. I did a few corrections of her proportions, head, clothes and her overall look in order to fit the concept. I will soon upload another progress shot. Any critiques and comments are more than welcome, please tell me what you think. Cheeers!

• kanga
    Offline / Send Message
    kanga quad damage
    Looks great! The hairline and the face look a little better in the concept. Also the leg length in the concept seems a little short. Really super work!
  • sstoev
    Offline / Send Message
    sstoev polycounter lvl 2
    Oh cheers mate... yeah I need to work on the face and the hair more .. her face shape is skinnier and much more angular rather than softer and roundish . And the braids need to be refined. I've never done braids before so if somebody has an advise how to approach them - high poly - low poly and make them convincing, it is more than welcome to share it with me  :smiley:
  • sstoev
    Offline / Send Message
    sstoev polycounter lvl 2
    Ok guys, here is my second WIP form this project. Las few days I started adding the second detail pass. Mostly focused on breaking up the big forms and elements with secondary details like stitching and folds. I just need to finish a few more bits over the next couple of days and she will be ready for the final detail pass (leather surface detail, stitching tension wrinkles, metal damage and material separation) Of course I need t add the skin details, which is always a challenge. Any feedback is more than welcome! Cheeerss :D

• Bunnirobotcat
    Offline / Send Message
    Bunnirobotcat polycounter lvl 6
    looking good so far. are you going to turn them into harem pants with the low crotch like in the concept?
    fabric under the knee pads feels a bit odd, but if you are going for heavy fabric it could work, specifically the right leg (her left) looks most odd in the way it folds and puffs.
  • sstoev
    Offline / Send Message
    sstoev polycounter lvl 2
    looking good so far. are you going to turn them into harem pants with the low crotch like in the concept?
    fabric under the knee pads feels a bit odd, but if you are going for heavy fabric it could work, specifically the right leg (her left) looks most odd in the way it folds and puffs.
    Cheers pal! Umm, for the pants I will probably keep them a little bit low waist, just the way they are. As far as the folds, thank you for pointing that out it definitely needs some more love. And yeah it will be a quite heavy and hard military fabric, that's why the folds are so roundish and big :)
  • sstoev
    Offline / Send Message
    sstoev polycounter lvl 2
    Sorry for the long time without post, it was a busy week .. However, I managed to work on most of the main elements of the top half, next thing is finalise the face and the skin details ... here is a WIP for now

• sstoev
    Offline / Send Message
    sstoev polycounter lvl 2
    worked on the face the past few days and I think this will be the final version of it. However some smaller adjustments might be made later on :D and yeah also worked on some smaller elements. Next thing will be to work on the weapons and start adding the final pass of details where it is necessary. I am still not sure about the best way to approach the hair, so please if you have any tips, share them :D Cheers!

• sstoev
    Offline / Send Message
    sstoev polycounter lvl 2
    It's been a while but a few days ago I finished the high poly sculpt. The past couple of weeks I focused on adding the final 3rd pass of details where I really tried to push the material definition. The trousers and vest will probably be a kind of hard cotton fabric, which I will work on in Substance. I also worked on the head a little bit more, based on feedback and gave her much softer features and transitions. Here are a few shots and better resolution - https://www.artstation.com/artwork/3WZ3m Now I will probably pause this project, because I want to concentrate on RIOT's. Anyways c&c are always welcome.