Home Technical Talk

Black shapes and Glitches on 3ds max viewport [Solved]

polycounter lvl 2
Offline / Send Message
Lucide polycounter lvl 2
Hi!,
I'm here because I'm experiencing troubles with the viewport realtime rendering of my model in 3ds Max 2017: black shapes are drawn everywhere and edges are visible through opaque faces.
The issue appeared randomly one day I started 3ds max to continue my work.
I tried to:
  • change the display driver from "preferences", even the software one.
  • messing around with reset xform
  • experimenting alternative display modes to the "standard" one I use; "performance" Is the only one that fixes the black shapes issue, although edges are still drawn over faces.
  • change material
The same issue appears on 3ds max 2018 too.
I'm new on 3ds max, and honestly, I don't know what to think.
I hope my model hasn't been corrupted or something because It's my first one, and I was quite committed on it. :(

Video: https://1drv.ms/v/s!ArpFFw9rJBoehRvR7i2Qdm_nY4jv
.max file: https://1drv.ms/u/s!ArpFFw9rJBoehRoKWlooLiPTZFun

Replies

• PolyHertz
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    PolyHertz polycount lvl 666
    Apply a new material, the old one is corrupt.
  • Obscura
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Obscura grand marshal polycounter
    From my experience, this happens in 3 cases. 

1. The mesh is insanely huge - z buffer precision issue
    2. The mesh is insanely tiny - z buffer precision issue
    3. Turbosmooth gives me this sometimes when I have many separated meshes and very high overall polycount. - Not sure about the reason
  • Lucide
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Lucide polycounter lvl 2
    PolyHertz said:
    Apply a new material, the old one is corrupt.

Thank you, I tried that too, using a Standard material, from the "Scanline" section
  • PolyHertz
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Also, grouping meshs like that can cause strange issues sometimes (ungrouping also fixed your issue for me).
    Instead of using group; sort meshs in layers.
  • Lucide
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Lucide polycounter lvl 2
    Obscura said:
    From my experience, this happens in 3 cases. 

1. The mesh is insanely huge - z buffer precision issue
    2. The mesh is insanely tiny - z buffer precision issue
    3. Turbosmooth gives me this sometimes when I have many separated meshes and very high overall polycount. - Not sure about the reason
    I started modeling trying to use the "perspective view" grid proportions. I have 20.000 polys.
  • Lucide
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Lucide polycounter lvl 2
    PolyHertz said:
    Also, grouping meshs like that can cause strange issues sometimes (ungrouping also fixed your issue for me).
    Instead of using group; sort meshs in layers.
    Ungrouped all. Still glitchy.
    My worK!
    UFFF!!
    ): [
  • Obscura
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Obscura grand marshal polycounter
    On the top left corner of the viewport, there is the button to select the view mode, like perspective or ortho. When you right click it, there will be "viewport clipping". After enabling it, you will see a slider bar appeared on the right of the viewport, with 2 sliders. This is used to scale the clipping distances, so this should  affect the precision of the z buffer as well. Try pulling the top slider lower, so you will have shorter rendering distance. Lets see if it fixes, or at least makes it better. 
  • Lucide
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Lucide polycounter lvl 2
    Uhm..
    Grabbing the slider up or down makes no difference (of course if it's too low the model disappears)
    The black shapes move around the geometry, but I think that's because the viewport is refreshing.
    Also, I noticed that the model tends to look better if I zoom a lot in, or a lot out, but by looking from a reasonable distance,
    the geometry is unrecognizable.
    The render looks fine too.
    Does that happen to you too?
  • PolyHertz
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Change your FOV perhaps? Your current one is really low, normally people have it set to anywhere between 35 and 45 (views > viewport per-view settings > Per-view preferences > Perspective Field of View).

Worst case scenario, export your meshs (without turbosmooth) as an OBJ and re-import them.
  • Eric Chadwick
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Have you tried an Orthographic view? In the Perspective viewport, press the U key. Zoom in and out, let us know if it still occurs.

I bet your object scale is very large or very tiny, as mentioned above. Select the model > Utilities panel > Utilities rollout > Measure button. Take a screenshot, drag it into your reply here.

If the scale is at an extreme, you can try the Reset World Scale utility. Make sure to save your work first.
    https://knowledge.autodesk.com/support/3ds-max/learn-explore/caas/CloudHelp/cloudhelp/2018/ENU/3DSMax-Basics/files/GUID-D694AA44-B687-4954-89AF-E9B396099344-htm.html
  • Lucide
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Lucide polycounter lvl 2
    You're right!, Orthographic view, like front,left,back, ecc. shows the model correctly... \._./
    The measures seems pretty normal to me, but I don't know how much they should be.
    I tried also to disable TurboSmooth on all my geometry, nothing changed. (Never gone past 1 iteration anyway)
    Sketchup never did that to me :'(:D
  • Eric Chadwick
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    If your units are in cm, then that wheel is 20000 cm across, 20 km!

Use the Rescale World Units utility and set it to .001 see if that fixes the problem.
  • Lucide
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Lucide polycounter lvl 2
    Ah, I think the comma is my decimal mark, not a digit group separator, there I read 26,441 where 441 is the fractional part.
    I tried to rescale the world units as you suggested, and I got 0,026 , with clearly noticeable cut-outs and render issues due to the minuscule size.
  • Eric Chadwick
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Ah. Revert then. 

It sounds like the problem is your hardware. What GPU are you running on? Is this a laptop? Integrated gpu can cause this kind of problem.
  • PolyHertz
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Did you try changing your Field of View (FOV) for your perspective viewport like I mentioned previously? If Orthographic fixes it, then I would have thought doing that should too.
  • Eric Chadwick
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    That won't fix it tho if you select the model and hit Z to reset zoom.
  • PolyHertz
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I tried it on his file that was linked in the first post, seemed to do the job just fine.
  • Lucide
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Lucide polycounter lvl 2
    @PolyHertz I'm so sorry! I read your message but I forgot to check that because I did never change the fov setting.
    You were right, that was causing the issue.
    Weird because I never even opened that panel. Maybe it got influenced by the multiple
    driver changes (I had issues with Nitrous d11).

Thank you!

(what shoud I do now, mark something as "Solved" or anything)