Home 2D Art Showcase & Critiques

Jax Designs Creatures and Characters

polycounter lvl 10
Offline / Send Message
jaxeller polycounter lvl 10
So I wanted to get better at drawing creatures and characters and I found a book titled Designing Creatures and Characters by Marc Taro Holmes. I am currently working on the second project in the book and figured I would post my progress and see what constructive feedback I can get.
This assignment is titled Big Game Trophy Heads. It asks the artist to create multiple sketches of creatures' heads based on a theme of the artist's choosing. It also asks the artist to create weapons designs and a hunter character design, but I am not there yet. So far I have done 36 creature head sketches based on a sci-fi, alien-insect exterminator theme.

Replies

• EVF
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    EVF polycounter lvl 3
    some nice creature designs you have there. I definitely get insects from it.
  • TJ-Works
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    TJ-Works polycounter lvl 5
    Love the experimental variety in the many insect head designs. For the painted renders, try to mix up the hues in your tonal values as they're looking very monotone. Exoskeletons in different insects tend to show crazy colour palettes so you can use that to your advantage. Besides that, add some specular highlights to make insect exoskeletons look shinier, and sharpen your edges. I'd love to see full bodied versions of some of these insects. ^^
  • jaxeller
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    @EVF and @TJ-Works thanks for the feedback. I definitely plan to take those heads and polish them up a bit and bring them to final. 
  • jaxeller
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Started working on project 3 from the book titled Fantasy Fishing League. Eventually, I would like to bring six of these creatures to completion. 

• jaxeller
    Options
    Offline / Send Message

Polished up some of the big game alien heads! C&C welcome. 
  • jaxeller
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
  • Doodlok
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Doodlok interpolator
    Absolutely love your design sense. They look realistic enough to believe they might exist yet bizarre enough to feel uncomfortable.

Just some C&C regarding your rendering, I think the contrast is too high and color range is little bit limited? It feels like a rather plane 2-toned render than a multifaceted 3D shape. I think breaking your shapes into big 3d chunks (cubes, cylinders and etc) before you start painting in detail might help with the process... Great designs tho.
  • jaxeller
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    @Doodlok Thanks for the feedback! I really appreciate it. I am glad you like the designs too.
  • Drawmaevedraw
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Drawmaevedraw polygon
    I really like these designs! Those undersea creatures look very believable! 

On top of what doodlok said, I would also look at when shading to vary your warm to cool range a bit more.  It feels like when you go dark, you tend to add a lot of black in, which can contribute to the planar look.  I think thats why number 15, with the addition of the blue light on the receding side, looks the most believable to me as a 3D shape.
  • jaxeller
    Options
    Offline / Send Message

So I am working on this piece and I decided I would go ahead and share it; I wanna see what kind of feedback I get before I continue painting. I really appreciate any constructive critiques you might have. So far this is just the initial sketch with some flat values. I plan to do an overpainting, eliminating the line art and adding some finishing touches.
  • lotet
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    lotet hero character
    rabbits pose look a bit stiff, the otter is looking a bit uncanny to me, but that might just be my personal opinion :P

other then that its a pretty cool piece, the overall composition looks great!
    Id say something to consider when you go into colors and rendering is readability and make sure all the characters get the love they deserve!
  • jaxeller
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    @lotet thanks for the feedback. I agree his pose is a bit stiff, I will see what I can do about that and hopefully have an updated version in a few days.
  • jaxeller
    Options
    Offline / Send Message

I want to thank everyone who took the time to provide feedback on my Inglourious Vermin WIP. I have taken the suggestions and applied them to the artwork. I think the suggestions have made this a much stronger piece.

Here is what I changed:

- Elongated the otter’s neck and changed the shell logo to something better.

- Reshaped the squirrel’s hands, repositioned the tail and made the tail slightly smaller

- Slightly changed rabbit pose to feel less stiff

- Reshaped and better defined the wolf hand

There was also the suggestion of using a gradient to enhance layer separation. I haven’t included it yet but when I define the lighting I am going to add that to the piece.

• jaxeller
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Update time! Added some basic lighting. Next stage is the paint over.

• jaxeller
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    So this is what I've been working on for the past week. As always constructive critiques are welcome. I still have to add some texture work, but I wanted to see what y'all think of it so far.
  • jaxeller
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I have made the following changes to the character:

-changed knife position so that it was less perpendicular
    -redesigned the gauntlets so the hands were more visible 
    -adjusted the left calf and ankle to feel less bulky and redesigned shin guards.
    -adjusted the fabric in the arms and scarf for better and more consistent fabric definition 

In addition to the changes above, I have also added some textures and patterns and other small details to the piece. Some of these might not be visible in the web version but in the full resolution 18x24, they are. For the moment I am considering the value stage of this character complete, next will be the color stage. However, I want to get the rest of the characters caught up to this one first. So check back soon to see which character gets the value treatment next. 

• MorbidPandaUK
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    MorbidPandaUK polycounter lvl 2
    Nice! You've got some very visually interesting and striking character/creature designs here! 

For your most recent piece, any criticisms I have are only nit-picking and personal preferences really. I think I would have given the squirrel a bit of a stronger jaw and kept the left eye a bit brighter, as it seems a little flat, for lack of a better term.

Honestly, it looks great though, very nice work with the textures and character design in general. 
  • jaxeller
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    @MorbidPandaUK I am glad you like my work; thank you for taking the time to check it out and commenting on it. 

Got this guy far enough along that I thought I would go ahead and share my progress and see what you guys think. I still need to add a final pass adding textures and other small details.

• jaxeller
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    While waiting for feedback on the bunny I decided to go ahead and flesh out the value painting for the mouse character. I still need to do a detail pass, but enough is there to show it off for critique. 

• jaxeller
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    More progress on the Inglourious Vermin project. I have the value painting for the pirate otter captain here and as always comments and critiques are welcome.
  • jaxeller
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Vixen Assasin value WIP for the Inglourious Vermin project. C&C welcome!

• jaxeller
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Well, I got the wolf done, but instead of releasing his value stage I decided to just go ahead and put everyone back together again in the one poster. C&C welcome.

• jaxeller
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Well, Chester has certainly come a long way since the first sketch.

• jaxeller
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Looks like Vyncint is ready to cause some violence

• jaxeller
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Sgt. Mousekewitz is ready for action!

• jaxeller
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Capt. Elenore Seabreeze is just about ready to take over the seven seas and if you absolutely need a creature dead you might wanna call Scarlett Primrose

• jaxeller
    Options
    Offline / Send Message

You know somethin’, Utivich? I think this just might be my masterpiece.  ;)  

• jaxeller
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Love's Resilience- A gay cupid is rising up from the ashes, locked in a battle with the embodiment of hate. The world watches as these two trade blows.

I finally got enough of the value WIP done to share. Comments and Critiques are welcome.

• jaxeller
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I received a critique on conceptart.org suggesting I punch up the values. 

• jaxeller
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
  • jaxeller
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    New project! Working on Marmalade Jane's Pool Hall. Creating this for a friend of mine. She wanted a scene with some cats playing pool. The dog in the background is an old pet she used to have and thought it would be a nice touch to add her to the piece. As always comments and critiques are welcome 

• jaxeller
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Got the value underpainting started. Looking at it now I may need to go back and make a few slight adjustments, but my next step will be the value overpainting.

• jaxeller
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Well, it took me a minute to get it done but here is the value painting for Marmalade Jane's Pool Hall. Depending on what happens with the Campfire here in Chico I may or may not be able to get the color version done soon.

• jaxeller
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Really happy with the way this one turned out definitely came a long way since the sketch

• jaxeller
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Just finished this guy for the Jack Frost Anthro Challenge #161