Home 3D Art Showcase & Critiques

Jorrvaskr "The Companions Headquarters"

polycounter lvl 6
Offline / Send Message
CodeNirvash polycounter lvl 6
Hi All,
I'm A new member among everyone on Polycount and would like to gain any advice or Shortcuts on helping me Recreate an Environment I have wanted to recreate in my own way and that is Jorrvaskr an headquarter for the companions in the elder scrolls game: Skyrim.

it's somewhat of beginner steps so far however i would like any critique i can get currently and through out the project piece.

Here is an blockout of the piece with some lighting the help me recreate the scene more for towards this image

The idea i'm currently going for is to Create a scene for this environment in which the companions have just finished celebrating and there visible signs of mugs on the floor and drapery been pulled down whilst it's not visible now it's something i would like to do.

Replies

• Joopson
    Offline / Send Message
    Joopson quad damage
    I don't really have any critiques, but I'm definitely excited to see this progress! I always loved the concept.
  • CodeNirvash
    Offline / Send Message
    Also wanted to share some textures i roughly made to help me understand more about this scene and whilst there probably not that great i would like any advice on how i can fit these towards the skyrim ideal along with any useful tips in substance designer to achieve some unique design's in these textures

Screenshots from substance designer:

• CodeNirvash
    Offline / Send Message
    Here are some ideas of my texture flats to help better understand what i was trying to accomplish with these three.

Stone_Floor:
    Normal map
    Diffuse Map
    Roughness map
    Height map

Rug:
    Normal map
    Diffuse map
    Roughness map
    Metallic map

The metallic section was something that i wanted the gold embroidery style to pop with however i didn't know how to go about something like this so just thought "hey why don't i just stitch gold in" yeah it didn't work like how i wanted and instead looked like basket weaves in a rug.

Which is interesting in it's own way.

Wood:
    Normal map
    Diffuse map
    Roughness map
    ?

For the wood i have some idea that metal is not needed however designer had completely ruined my chance of getting the height map out.
  • CodeNirvash
    Offline / Send Message
    Hi There polycount i haven't gotten use to the idea of regular posting on this however this probably turned into more of showing the whole piece of now, if anyone wants to critique my piece it would help.

The first piece was recreating the bench engraving for my bench's and made this separate from the sitting arrangement.

Here is my hand drawn marker on my bench piece.

Along with this the main focus was the Buck bust for the environment which was the hero piece i wanted to create here is the base mesh i created for the buck.
    the main problems arised here with the deer looking more like a cow then deer at first which did improve gradually with the proper reference.

• CodeNirvash
    Offline / Send Message
    Here is a blockout stage when i was adding more mesh's into the scene, Progress shot for blockout.

• CodeNirvash
    Offline / Send Message
    Further worked on some high poly's needed for my scene which creating wood carving for the beams in the middle of the piece.

And improved on the deer head as well to get it more visually resembling the deer's feature's.

Some high poly's that would be scattered across the scene.

• CodeNirvash
    Offline / Send Message
    Made more improvements to the blockout by adding lighting in areas.

Made improvements to the deer by further progressing it and adding the antlers to it giving it the feeling i wanted to portray before.

• CodeNirvash
    Offline / Send Message
    Added the Deer's LP to the scene and it look's good in engine.

• CodeNirvash
    Offline / Send Message
    Created renders of the high poly piece on the low poly in substance painter, with overall good results so far.

Texture render:

No Texture Render:

Texture Render:

No Texture Render:

Texture Renders:

No Texture render:

Texture Render:

Texture Render:

No texture render:

Texture render:

No texture render:

Texture render:

No texture render:

Texture Render:

No Texture render:

• CodeNirvash
    Offline / Send Message
    Worked on my unreal engine 4 scene more and i am more getting use to creating better lighting visuals for the scene and adding in my LP meshes as i continue with the scene.

Some detail lighting renders in unreal.

• CodeNirvash
    Offline / Send Message
    Begun to finalize the scene in unreal by adding my texture's previously made into the scene to see how it effects it whilst adding my own dust and fire particles into the scene to further help the scene.

• CodeNirvash
    Offline / Send Message
    Changed the dust particle as it was somewhat looking more snow or dandruff the dust the be smaller then it currently was and made new textures to replace some in the engine a the carpet felt distracting with the gold trim.

Also added an trim sheet for the drapery and banners across the scene.

• CodeNirvash
    Offline / Send Message
    Focused more an getting the lighting to act correct as the brick flooring below seems to vanish in certain scene's.

I've also created some texture renders and an video to help further the scene's visual appearance. 
    Texture Flat:

Texture Render:

Wood Panel Texture Flat:

Texture Render:

The texture screenshot where inspired by Ben Wilson who really captures the overall look of his materials making them look great without needing to put the in engine.

(Sound Warning!)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6gHWyAEgWYo
  • Larry
    Offline / Send Message
    Larry interpolator
    It seems you are rushing a little bit :) 
    You have alot of contrast and saturated colors, try and desaturate them a bit. And it looks a little bit weird because many things do not have shadows or ambient occlusion.And shadowing seems really sharp for a room with such ambient lighting coming from candles and fire.You usually get that from spotlights.
    Do you use static lighting and shadowmaps?