Home Adobe Substance

SBSAR hires input bitmap filtering problem.

vertex
Offline / Send Message
Pinned
Prospector_AU vertex
Hi, folks! I want to use SBSAR in Marmoset 3 to produce some effects with exposed parameters. But I find some strange artifacts when start using archive instead of usual Substance outputs. For some reason, hires image mask, which worked good and provide sharp letter's edges, appears very edgy with SBSAR. I even try 3ds max to be sure it is not Marmoset's problem. Also SD 5.5 and 6 was tested, parent and absolute inheritance methods, PNG, TGA and TIFF formats, but the same aliased result occurs. I have no idea where the problem is and what to try next. Maybe someone have a glue in the situation?

My simplified setup with one map for demonstration:

Closeup in Marmoset with 4K SBSAR even more jagged than 2K:

3ds max with blur and filtering all OFF:

This one is from full graph. I find Anisotropic_noise node is the only one that changes it's distribution pattern in SBSAR, so it is causing even more confusion for the comparison.

Replies

• Froyok
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Froyok greentooth
    What is your compression setting for the bitmap (when you click on it in the explorer in Substance Designer) ?
  • Prospector_AU
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Prospector_AU vertex
    Froyok said:
    What is your compression setting for the bitmap (when you click on it in the explorer in Substance Designer) ?
    Thank you, Froyok. I had tried RAW and JPEG with 0 and 1 quality settings. The next thing I had noticed, is that artifacts become visible in 4k resolutions. 1024 and 2048 shows identical pixels with SBSAR and simple bitmap output.

• Froyok
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Froyok greentooth
    Make sure that you bitmap node is in absolute in the graph where you use it, then add a transform 2D just after with a "relative to parent" size. This will ensure that your bitmap is saved at it's original resolution and will downscale/upscale after depending on the graph size. (Otherwise the bitmap will be saved at the current graph size at the time of the cooking.)
  • Prospector_AU
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Prospector_AU vertex
    Froyok said:
    Make sure that you bitmap node is in absolute in the graph where you use it, then add a transform 2D just after with a "relative to parent" size. This will ensure that your bitmap is saved at it's original resolution and will downscale/upscale after depending on the graph size. (Otherwise the bitmap will be saved at the current graph size at the time of the cooking.)
    Made all like you sad, but with no luck. I think hardware problem here, as I got Radeon HD5870.

• Froyok
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Froyok greentooth
    Do you have the same issue with the Substance Player ?
  • Prospector_AU
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Prospector_AU vertex
    Surprisingly, in Substance Player SBSAR looks good, without jugged edges!
  • Froyok
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Froyok greentooth
    This means the issue is on the integration side of Marmoset then, so we can't do much more. You will have to report the issue to them, since they manage the support of SBSARs by themselves.