Home 3D Art Showcase & Critiques

Portfolio critique and help needed

Will morillas
polycounter lvl 8
Offline / Send Message
Will morillas polycounter lvl 8
Hi! I'm a self-taught student wanting to be a 3d character artist.

I've been searching the forums for a long time and it seems that character artist positions are usually really hard to get so i want some advices to land a job in the industry

Here is my portfolio:
http://willmorillas.carbonmade.com/

Replies

• Lucas Annunziata
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Lucas Annunziata polycounter lvl 13
    To become a character artist, you need to prove that you have a really solid understanding of human anatomy, polygon flow/distribution for character animation, and optimal UV packing skills.

Your portfolio does not currently exemplify any of these things. Your first three pieces are either non-human, or almost fully covered in bulky armor. Bulky armor isn't necessarily a bad thing but it looks like you're trying to hide the lack of anatomy understanding rather than being informed by it for the armor design.

Definitely show off some renders of your high-poly sculpts, some better wireframe shots, texture flats etc.

This new character is definitely a step in the right direction.
  • beefaroni
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    beefaroni sublime tool
    Hmm. I can't comment on characters but your website is off to a great start. My only suggestion.

When I click on the warrior. It should just show two images that scale with the page size. Having to click a second time once I'm on that page is a bit of a waste of time. It's super nitpicky but I think it will make your website a better experience.
  • Will morillas
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Will morillas polycounter lvl 8
    I'm reviving this thread becaise I've changed all the characters in my portfolio and still need some advices

Thank you
  • jth852
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    jth852 polycounter lvl 2
    hey i like the work in your portfolio, its impressive work to be sure.  I do environments and am also learning, but I've been told a couple helpful things about portfolio that might help.  Like for instance only put your best stuff in your portfolio.  It represents your skill set and a few good pieces are better than everything you've done.  The issue is that a recruiter or HR rep. will think you don't know the difference between the good and the bad. The sci-fi character has good looking anatomy but the stylized characters break some fundamental anatomy rules and with them both in your portfolio it suggests that you don't know the difference.  Also since characters are usually animated and the quality of the deformation is directly based on the topology you should show wireframes for every piece.  Hope this helps a little bit keep up the cool work!
  • JamesArk
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    JamesArk polycounter lvl 10
    Art feedback:

- First impression is that it's okay but not great and it will probably need to be great to land a character art position which tend to be very, very competitive. So, you're on the right track but not quite there yet.
    - Your texturing and presentation still need some work IMO. Everything feels just a bit off - the solider's metal doesn't look particularly metallic and the cards for his hair don't transition well into his scalp, the robot-demon guy has very noisy/indiscriminate damage.
    - Some of the renders have very aliased/jagged edges around the characters, the lighting can be unflattering and the backgrounds are often a solid flat colour. I'd look up some tutorials of how to render and present things as good as possible as this will help the overall quality level of your pieces a ton.

Website feedback:

- Having the images horizontal is, in my opinion, not very user friendly. It took me a second to realize that I had to scroll sideways which immediately made it harder to navigate and a little annoying. The animating arrows also look like you can click on them but I don't think you can, which also doesn't help. Compare vs Gavin Goulden's portfolio https://gavin.artstation.com/ everything fits super nicely, I can see a ton of art right off the bat and his name doesn't take up much space.
    - Your site still says 2013 which, if I'm an employer, makes me wonder if this work is from 2013.
    - In your 'About' section there's some typos and grammatical errors which also takes away some professionalism. Lowercase I in "i've", another lowercase "i" a but after that, "environments" is spelled wrong. It's also outdated and says you've been modelling for 3 years.

Hope this helps, keep at it!