Home 2D Art Showcase & Critiques

Magical mishappening

EVF
polycounter lvl 3
Offline / Send Message
EVF polycounter lvl 3
New environment, C&Cs always welcomed :)

Replies

• Two Listen
    Offline / Send Message
    Two Listen polycount sponsor
    How far along is this?

At the moment my main critique is that the animal and the tower are fighting for attention.  Also, is that black texture scattered here and there remnants from a scanned paper?  There's nothing wrong with that, just curious, as I think it makes this look more like an underpaint step.
  • EVF
    Offline / Send Message
    EVF polycounter lvl 3
    @Two Listen  This would be a rough finished concept, trying to spend less time on pieces because I tend to overwork and add too many shapes. Although I will most likely go back in and add a more finished layer over the multiplied sketch knowing myself...
    The black texture is indeed remnant from scanned paper.
    The animal and the tower are my two main focus, should I dial down on the marten? He's suppose to be surprised by what is happening in the tower, thus part of the "story"
    Thanks for the feedback!
  • AlexKola
    Offline / Send Message
    AlexKola polycounter lvl 9
    That guy is so cute! He looks a bit like he is looking back at someone. The owl has an adorable shape too.

Do you have any more backstory for this image?

I really like how you were able to keep the feeling of a wash in your painting. almost like watercolor. Did you start with a traditional paper sketch?
  • EVF
    Offline / Send Message
    EVF polycounter lvl 3
    @AlexKola thanks! Yes I started with a paper/pencil sketch, that I put on top layer in multiply mode, I since then cleaned out the sky tho.
    A bit more backstory? A wizard in his tower above the forest is having trouble with his experiment, the marten is looking back at us like, oh lord... he's at it again...

Cleaned update: