Home Technical Talk

I can't even unwrap a simple door.

Grinvon
null
Offline / Send Message
Grinvon null
Hi guys,

I'm trying to unwrap a door to create UV map but I'm doing something wrong and getting frustrated about that. I'm new on modeling and UV.

My scenario:

- Blender 2.78

My steps:

- On edit mode I do Mark Seam on each door's edge;
- Select whole object with 'A' and I commit the unwrap process with Unwrap or Smart Unwrap;

I'm still getting the same result on both choices and none of them aren't what I need for. The picture below shows it better:

You may notice that each face isn't in proportion to the mesh.

What can I do?

Thanks in advance.

Replies

• freediver
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    freediver polycounter lvl 4
    Hi,
    You should apply scale in object mode (CTRL + A), and then unwrap it.
  • Axi5
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Axi5 interpolator
    Haven't used blender but lookup a way to freeze the mesh before you unwrap.

This is happening because of two different types of "Spaces" that things are taking place in. The object space is still the same as the original cube which you were given, which is why it's unwrapping like that. You are applying a scale at an object transformation (the parent of the object) level, which squashes the final result of the object.

Essentially it's like you inserted an unwrap into the model, before it was stretched.
  • Grinvon
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Grinvon null
    Thanks, diver.

It worked for me.

I remember now I have used Apply Scale / Rotation when I used mirror, I completely forgot about this resource.

My new question is: why is this not automatic? Why I have do that to make UV fit on expected size? I've tried to manipulate the Suzanne and I only needed to Mark Seam on her middle head and the initial UV was fine, however for a door I have to make this.

i'm not complaining, I'm just curious :D
  • Grinvon
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Grinvon null
    Axi5 said:
    Haven't used blender but lookup a way to freeze the mesh before you unwrap.

This is happening because of two different types of "Spaces" that things are taking place in. The object space is still the same as the original cube which you were given, which is why it's unwrapping like that. You are applying a scale at an object transformation (the parent of the object) level, which squashes the final result of the object.

Essentially it's like you inserted an unwrap into the model, before it was stretched.

Axi, could you confirm to me if other softwares as Maya, MODO, etc works on same way? I mean the scale and proportion to make UV map adjust the right size.
  • Axi5
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Axi5 interpolator
    Here's me demonstrating the same thing happening in Maya

https://www.dropbox.com/s/niv2geptee4jfso/2017-08-24_21-35-28.mp4?dl=0

Forgive  me trying to dock the UV toolkit panel, seems to be a bug.

Transformations -> Components are a hierarchical thing that exist in most 3D software.
  • Grinvon
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Grinvon null
    Nice vid, Axi.

Yeah I think I got the point and I'll try to keep it in mind the proper scaling to fit the object to UV map.

I saved the UV mapping image and opened it on Blender, using Cycle Render I had adjusted the nodes to make it appearing on object on my viewport, it work well.

Next step is to make Blender listen an external app like Krita or GIMP to when I save the image automatically updates Blender and I don't need all the time reload the image again. Trying to figure it out now...