Home 3D Art Showcase & Critiques

WIP. Need some critique

polycounter lvl 2
Offline / Send Message
akilesKRSK polycounter lvl 2
Hi, Guys. It's my first ever sculpt and I'm wondering if you can give me some critique. 

Replies

• Brian "Panda" Choi
    Offline / Send Message
    Brian "Panda" Choi high dynamic range
    What's your reference or render target?
  • akilesKRSK
    Offline / Send Message
    I don't have a reference or target. The aim of this task to learn face anatomy as well as digital sculpting. It is a part of my diploma course.  Only one reference I use is a book for face anatomy, so  I just follow a general idea about face structure.  
  • Brian "Panda" Choi
    Offline / Send Message
    Brian "Panda" Choi high dynamic range
    Honestly, without some semblance of a reference of a real face, you're gonna be reaching out in the dark, espcially trying to go from muscle and bone TO skin and hair.  You need something you can pop back and forth to.

Find a face reference you want to recreate.  We can talk about the issues on your head, but without a real life example, you'll have barely an idea how the musccle and fat work together to make the skin look the way it does.

Even if it's homework, go above and beyond, since your peers are doing the same work.  
  • akilesKRSK
    Offline / Send Message
    Honestly, without some semblance of a reference of a real face, you're gonna be reaching out in the dark, espcially trying to go from muscle and bone TO skin and hair.  You need something you can pop back and forth to.

Find a face reference you want to recreate.  We can talk about the issues on your head, but without a real life example, you'll have barely an idea how the musccle and fat work together to make the skin look the way it does.

Even if it's homework, go above and beyond, since your peers are doing the same work.  
    Thx, Brian. I'll definitely do some research and redo this one!
  • oreoorbitz
    Offline / Send Message
    oreoorbitz polycounter lvl 9
    Ok. So disclaimer, I'm not a professional artist, so take my advice with a grain of salt.

So when I'm making a head from scratch, I try to to implement a few general guidelines as I make progress. Each step being intended to  advance the face towards "realism"

1. General proportion, Vertical and Horizontal

2. Secondary proportions, the relation of features to each other.

3. I check to see if the major bone proportions are accurate. 

4. Then I analyze the  muscle and the fat that lays ontop of the muscle.

5. Lastly I work on the skin level details, wrinkles, pore detail, ect.
  • akilesKRSK
    Offline / Send Message
    Ok. So disclaimer, I'm not a professional artist, so take my advice with a grain of salt.

Wow, Thx so much. I didn't check the proportions. It's realy looks much better now!

• akilesKRSK
    Offline / Send Message
    Did a bit of rework of that model. What do u think?