Home Technical Talk

i need help learning the workflow for texturing assets

Offline / Send Message
Pinned
i'm not sure if this is the right place to post this but anyways.
i'm a newbie in 3d game assets creation, probably 5 or 6 months into it. i use blender coz that's like the cheapest option i can think of that has good features....i'm pretty comfortable with modelling a few objects but i'm not quite sure how to go about the texturing (if there is a particular way to go about it) i don't have a tablet so i can't paint, i have substance painter student licence but it seems my system's graphic card is not supported.
i don't know it there is a way to texture objects easily like stylized stuff without hand-painting or just any kind of texturing technique that would make game assets look good....i feel stuck and on the brink of giving up.
any help would be appreciated.

Replies

• Asura
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Asura greentooth
    Intuos tablets are pretty do-able. They run around $100 but are often on sale for 25%-50%. Since substance is pretty heavy on your computer id recommend getting photoshop for hand painting. 

There is also an amazingly well made tutorial by Marc Brunet on Cubebrush that goes over making a stylized character using baked textures as the base and modifying it further in photoshop. https://cubebrush.co/mb?product_id=qt8ow . The Tut is $60 but it goes through everything.

Hope this helps :smile:
  • kingfeargod
  • Marshkin
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Marshkin polycounter lvl 9
    This may also be of interest to you https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=L7ALfRw6I5I

It's a tutorial on doing hand painted textures in Blender directly. 

Tablets are amazing,but it is possible (thought slower) to do amazing hand painted work without it. You'll just need to probably create some macros to quickly adjust scale and opacity of your brush as you work.
    And get real comfortable with your mouse! 

As Asura said, if you do have a bit of budget, investing even in a small tablet will make things a lot easier for you.

• Chimp
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Chimp interpolator
    without hand painting? look at procedural techniques. substance.
  • kingfeargod
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    thanks alot you guys....i'm looking towards pbr....about to try out quixel suite since i can't use substance
  • Brian "Panda" Choi
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Brian "Panda" Choi high dynamic range
    You're gonna wanna do Substance Painter.  Quixel is just way too slow in comparison, it's not funny.
  • pmiller001
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    pmiller001 greentooth
    Quixel is far too slow, I'm gonna parrot everyone else, use substance. 
  • kingfeargod
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    substance wont work with my graphics card....i use an integrated graphics card as i currently work on a laptop.
  • kingfeargod
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    i was even thinking of trying out the legacy version of quixel before jumping in.
    maybe i'll just try substance again
  • Kevin Albers
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Kevin Albers polycounter lvl 18
    Have you considered partnering with an artist, with them doing the textures? It sounds like you don't really want to learn how to make textures (although maybe I'm misunderstanding you).  

If that isn't an option, I don't think there is a 'standard' way to do what you want. I would suggest experimenting with various things and see if you like the results.  For example, just assigning flat colors to low poly objects, and see if you like any of the results, or experimenting with shader tricks (toon shaders and such), to see if you can get any effects you like.

If you post some examples from games that you kind of want to emulate, that would help a lot. 'Stylized' is a very general term. It doesn't mean much, apart from being non-photorealistic.

Virtually everyone who makes textures uses a tablet as part of the process, so that is definitely a limitation if you want somewhat 'typical' looking textures.

I haven't seen the tutorial Asura mentions, but the suggestion to use baked textures as starting point, and add to them using photoshop, is a great option.  
  • kingfeargod
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    i get your point, thanks...i really want to learn how to texture models but due to my location, i'm limited on resources (hardware). lemme just simply say i'm looking for an easy way to go about making good looking assets without needing too much hardware such as the tablet which is currently out of reach for me (sadly), but i would really love to make beautiful things in 3D no matter the style.