Home 3D Art Showcase & Critiques

UE4 Spirited Away Gate

polycounter lvl 12
Offline / Send Message
Cruckz polycounter lvl 12
After mainly working on interiors I wanted to try my hand at an outdoor environment. So I decided to try recreating a scene from Studio Ghibli in UE4.

If you haven't seen the film here is the reference:

And My version in UE4 

Replies

• Cruckz
  • Bar0n
    Offline / Send Message
    Bar0n polycounter lvl 9
    very lovely! I like it!  

Maybe you should try making the light a bit more brighter and warmer to match the one from the movie!
  • Bedrock
    Offline / Send Message
    Bedrock polycounter lvl 10
    That's a great scene to choose! I've got a couple suggestions:

The trees probably look great from further above but the current camera locations make the 'planes' look very obvious. I would take the canopy and angle the planes until they almost face the low camera. The one closest to the building is almost there.

Lighting is a bit too dark. I would suggest going a bit crazy with simple point lights to fake a lot of the sun light/light bounce in the scene. I'm talking like 15+ point lights probably. 

The shadows in Miyazaki's work are always super defined and yours is very blurry! I don't know what your settings are so can't really say what values need to be changed in fact I'm not even sure if I'm looking at baked light.

The paint on the wall has a stronger gradient in the reference of almost white -> redpink -> dark red. 

The stone road has a much lighter color. Could probably just multiply the diffuse in the u4 mat editor. And throw point lights at it to get that nice gradient.

All the detail is already there and I dig the texture work on the wall a lot. Makes me want to do a Miyazaki scene myself for sure!

• Tits
    Offline / Send Message
    Tits mod
    Lovely!
    I do really like what bedrock did/suggested
  • turbinea
    Offline / Send Message
    turbinea polycounter lvl 7
    This looks absolutely fantastic! Very good job!
  • DonSmith
    Offline / Send Message
    DonSmith polycounter lvl 6
    Looks good.  What really works in the Miyazaki version is the proportions and shape language.  

The door being taller, the trees having more organic shapes, that kind of thing.  The statue in the center looks more like  a chocolate Kiss candy than the shape of the statue in the reference. 
    Notice the shape of the stone ground work how it looks to roll with the landscape.  This is something I actually saw quite a bit of in Japan.  In your version, you've flattened it out entirely.  

I'd spend more time trying to get the right shapes/proportions now that you have a solid round of feedback on lighting/color/materials.

Good work, overall. 
  • alecchalmers
    Offline / Send Message
    alecchalmers polycounter lvl 10
    Hey, I love the reference material and always told myself I would have a go at doing this building myself one day. You've done a great job of it.

The painted walls, however, don't quite capture the reference and I remembered something that might help!
    I watched a talk recently on how they managed to get really nice layered paint on the wall materials in Sunset Overdrive.
    It involved layering a bunch of greyscale masks in the material and coloring it all with vertex colors. You can probably make sense of technique in the PDF version (pages 49-62).
    http://www.gdcvault.com/play/1022324/The-Ultimate-Trim-Texturing-Techniques

I really think the layered paint effect on some of those Overdrive buildings more closely matches that Ghibli look that painters like Kazuo Oga manage to produce.

Good Luck!
  • Martoon
    Offline / Send Message
    Martoon polycounter lvl 2
    This is beautiful. It gives me a nostalgic reminder of this scene , almost how it felt to watch it as a young one.
  • serriffe
    Offline / Send Message
    serriffe polycounter lvl 9
    wow, this is awesome 
  • bob3636
    Offline / Send Message
    bob3636 polycounter lvl 11
  • SamStark
    Offline / Send Message
    SamStark triangle
    This is so great! Reminds me of the younger times! I also agreed with @Bedrock, especially on the 'planes'. I watched the video as well, and it looks great, but you could get a few bugs or leaves blew by wind to give it more life! It's great overall, and I think I'm gonna go watch the movie again haha!
  • marks
    Offline / Send Message
    marks greentooth
    This is an awesome start! Work on your lighting and grading and I think this piece has a lot of potential
  • aclund3
    Offline / Send Message
    aclund3 polycounter lvl 6
    Great work!  Super awesome :)  Proportionally the doorway feels like it should be a bit taller.  You kind of have to pick between the reference images as it seems like they show different height relationships between the statue to the height of the door, but I'd go with the side image and lengthen it. Otherwise, @bedrock is all over it.

@alecchalmers Thanks for the great link!  Love the optimization of the ULTIMATE TRIM, going to have to give that a try on a small environment.
  • Chidambhar_Swaroop
    Offline / Send Message
    Chidambhar_Swaroop polycounter lvl 2
    Omg. It looks awesome ...
  • Cruckz
    Offline / Send Message
    Thanks for all the kind words and feedback guys! I regret not posting earlier versions. I'm going to call it here for now as I'm split between projects but hopefully comeback and possibly add the car in at a later date and rework a few other things.

@Bedrock Thanks for taking the time for the paintover and detailed crit. I was trying to go for an overcast moody look with more diffuse shadows but after seeing your paintover I decided that it did need brightening up. Unfortunately I've run out of time for this project but think I'm definitely going to comeback at some point and rework some of the trees as I've had a little bit of trouble with them and really want to set aside some time and nail it down. 

@SamStark Thanks! Added in a couple of subtle particle FX.

@aclund3 Thanks for the crit, I went for the front reference for the door, I tried it being a bit taller and just personally preferred it being a bit shorter.  

• Cruckz
    Offline / Send Message
    I made some more tweaks to the scene after this video but unfortunately my premiere pro license expired so the world wont be seeing the changes for a while. 
    https://youtu.be/EsyzpfOX_xI
  • Chidambhar_Swaroop
    Offline / Send Message
    Chidambhar_Swaroop polycounter lvl 2
  • Bedrock
    Offline / Send Message
    Bedrock polycounter lvl 10
    Great progress! 
  • FreneticPonies
    Offline / Send Message
    FreneticPonies polycounter lvl 3
    It's sooooo good.
    The only thing I'm bothered by is the obvious leaf planes on the tree leaves, the polygonal shapes stand out vs the rest of the scene. I know it'd up the polycount a lot to fix that but... argh! It's the only thing that really stood out as "wrong" in the whole scene, which otherwise has great lighting and texturing and... everything!  :*
  • SamStark
    Offline / Send Message
    SamStark triangle
    The leaves look so good in the video and with the soundtrack!  <3
  • Beestonian
    Offline / Send Message
    Beestonian polycounter lvl 9
    That foliage looks amazing. How did you accomplish a scene like that without running into massive overdraw?
  • Jakro
    Offline / Send Message
    Jakro greentooth
    Great work  :) Loving the texture work especially!
  • Cruckz
    Offline / Send Message
    Thanks everyone :) 

@FreneticPonies Cheers :) I totally agree, but I was going for a game ready environment which is already a push. Definitely going to comeback and and make a few more good looking optimised trees when i have time. 

@Beestonian  Thanks! Realistically I would have to have to lower the density of the standard grass model and take a few of the leaf clusters out of the middle of main trees if this was going into a production product. 

• Swaggletooth
    Offline / Send Message
    Swaggletooth polycounter lvl 5
    I really really like this, but one thing that needs attention is the little statue: right now it looks too much like a rough Zbrush sculpt, it could really benefit from some tightening up where the mouth and eyes are inset; also the texture looks too green - the main reference shows it as mostly grey stone with moss / mould around inset points.

Take a look at this picture here for an idea of how to greeble it a bit more etc:

• Tetranome
    Offline / Send Message
    Tetranome polycounter lvl 6
    Cool this is looking great after the lighting tweaks! Nice work :)
  • Cruckz
    Offline / Send Message
    @Swaggletooth  Thanks for the feedback, definitely taken on board. There was a lot of differing reference for this piece, so I made him a shape that I enjoyed and intentionally didn't make the model too tight as In my mind this is so old and would have been weathered. This was one of the ref pieces I was using for inspiration. Looking at the Buddha and how there is no tight edges I was going for this look however I may need to practice a little more ;) .   

The statue in the film and the majority of the concepts was almost totally covered in moss. Looking at this now my issue is with not having the moss thicker to separate it from the stone as it is in the reference above. I initially made the moss shader that is used for the rocks in the background and should probably have tweaked it a little more for this piece. 

• aclund3
    Offline / Send Message
    aclund3 polycounter lvl 6
    Great work finding those references!  Just to add to what Swaggletooth had to say, the mouth shape on your little guy is a little round compared to the reference.  But yeah, thicker/bumpier moss would help too :)  Awesome work!
  • littleclaude
    Online / Send Message
    littleclaude quad damage
    Beautiful work, you nailed the colours and foliage. 
  • Eohek
    Offline / Send Message
    Eohek polycounter lvl 5
    This is a beautiful piece of work. I love the textures they are gorgeous.