Home Technical Talk

[Maya] Modular unwrap

LeeroyJenkns
polycounter lvl 2
Offline / Send Message
LeeroyJenkns polycounter lvl 2
Hi. I got some problems with unwraping models that are supposed to be modular buildings. As you can see on the screenshot - the front wall face on the right is smaller that on the left. Not only smaller, but also is rotated by 90deg. It's easily fixed though, unlike the size. It happens because auto-unwrap tool stretches unwraped content to "Organize" it, and because of it unwraped faces are different in size, and I have to manualy adjust it in size for texture to be more "Seamless". If I wouldn't resize them - texture will be applied as shown on the seconds screenshot.

It just can't be that messy. Is there a way of unwraping the mesh, but keeping the standart size, so I could just position it and apply texture in SP? Or the only way of achieving this is moving every UV vertex by hand? Thanks.

P.s: In the beginning this post was massive and had more details, but website broke. Understandable.

Replies

• Dumbanana
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Dumbanana polycounter lvl 11
    Heyo, quick response solution to help you get what you want and maybe someone else has a better way.  

I would suggest using the new Maya UV Editor (available in 2018 or 2017 version 3) and then using the Texel Density tool available to help you get similar/ exact size for both UV shells.  If you don't have access to the new UV editor, then I would look up a Texel Density script to achieve something similar for whatever version of Maya you're using.

Hope that helps!
  • throttlekitty
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Check that your transforms are frozen, uv unwraps ignore any scaling you may have on the model, so it "thinks" that wall is shorter.
  • LeeroyJenkns
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Dumbanana said:
    Heyo, quick response solution to help you get what you want and maybe someone else has a better way.  

I would suggest using the new Maya UV Editor (available in 2018 or 2017 version 3) and then using the Texel Density tool available to help you get similar/ exact size for both UV shells.  If you don't have access to the new UV editor, then I would look up a Texel Density script to achieve something similar for whatever version of Maya you're using.

Hope that helps!
    Are you talking about Texel Density ADVISOR script? Because I can't find any info on "Textel Density Tool". 
  • Axi5
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Axi5 interpolator
    You can just use the Maya UV layout tools and disable translation and rotation. Set shell pre-scale to maintain 3D ratio.
  • LeeroyJenkns
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    \/      this
  • LeeroyJenkns
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Ok forget what I just said. Maya can't import two objects, if they have the same name, got it. But as I remember Maya 2016 would change the name if objects have the same.
  • LeeroyJenkns
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Update

So I did like Axi5 said:
    You can just use the Maya UV layout tools and disable translation and rotation. Set shell pre-scale to maintain 3D ratio.
    And on first I even thought that it worked, but closer look revealed that there's still some difference in height. Any other ideas?

I might sound just annoying now, but this mess with mapping really drives me mad. Sorry.
  • Axi5
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Axi5 interpolator
    Have you made sure that your transforms are frozen when you use it? It'll play into it.

Also the whole 2 FBXs with the same names thing is down the namespaces, which don't get added when you use FBX for some reason but they don't import the FBX with a different name. I've reported this as a bug.

EDIT:
    Turns out it's an FBX Limitation, you need to switch the FBX import mode from Add and Animation to just Add.
  • LeeroyJenkns
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Dumbanana said:

Hope that helps!
    I can't find any "Texel Density tool" that you're talking about. There's just no info bout it. Are you talking about Texel Density Advisor?
  • LeeroyJenkns
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Dumbanana said:

Hope that helps!
    I can't find any "Texel Density tool" that you're talking about. There's just no info bout it. Are you talking about Texel Density Advisor?
  • Axi5
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Axi5 interpolator
    In one of the latest editions of Maya, in the UV Toolkit, under the transform menu, is a Get Texel Density and Set Texel Density. They do what they sound like, get the texel density of one and apply it to the other.