Home Technical Talk

My normal map look triangulated !

Nizidranamitz
polycounter lvl 3
Offline / Send Message
Nizidranamitz polycounter lvl 3
Hello dear polycount community,

Recently I have been busy doing a character for the bi monthly challenge. However, a weird issue happened to me : My normal map look triangulated, as if the low poly was baked along with the hi poly on the map.

I tried reimporting Hipoly. Its a simple bake, with a hi poly, a low poly and a cage, I don't understand where I screwed up. Smoothing group are on one group in Max. The export setting for LP and cage was in FBX : with smoothing group, turbosmooth and preserve edge orientation options.

Here is the hipoly directly imported fromZbrush. No triangular pattern.

The lowpoly.

Waiting for your insight !

Replies

• throttlekitty
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I'm seeing shading problems in areas like the armpit and pectorals on your low poly that you should solve before baking again. I don't know of any max-specific gotchas here, but I'll guess that since you have one shading group, that those faces aren't welded.
  • musashidan
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    musashidan high dynamic range
    @throttlekitty this could be just Max's weird Nitrous viewport shading. :)

OP why are you enabling the turbosmooth option on your LP export? Disable it upon export and bake again. 
  • Noren
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Noren polycounter lvl 19
    Check if the UVs look still ok and haven't been split up per triangle.
  • Butthair
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Butthair polycounter lvl 11
    musashidan: OP why are you enabling the turbosmooth option on your LP export? Disable it upon export and bake again. 
    Not sure where this is being assumed, are you exporting as an OBJ or FBX to zbrush? I would recommend OBJ.
    Noren: Check if the UVs look still ok and haven't been split up per triangle.

Yes, if there are odd faceted edges it could be faces on top of each other, unwelded mesh verts or UV verts, or they have flipped face/vert normals which aren't being properly displayed in viewport.

Additionally you can try an STL Check modifier, it can solve these kind of issues.

If you messed with editing normals, you can add an Edit Poly modifier, it resets modified normals.

We also don't know what your UVs look like. Not so much the layout, but where edges are cut (seams).

And if nothing seems to fix it, export it as an OBJ with the preset to Maya (do not use zbursh preset). In a new empty scene, import the model, if the smoothing isn't fixed then it's not a mesh display issue, there is something actually wrong with the geometry. Exporting as OBJ should "clean" the mesh of these kinds of oddities.

• Nizidranamitz
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Hey !

Thanks everyone for your feedback! I Did my UV again, disabled turbosmooth options, and I used my quadrangulated low poly instead of triangulating it, and that solved it, simply... Still, I'm puzzled and curious on how this could happen.

@Throttlekitty I checked, everything is welded , it might be my savage triangulation that disrupted Max shading (or it might be Max shading just going wild).
    @Musashidan I never had any issue with turbosmooth uptil now, its only import it when there is a turbosmooth on modifier stack. I did disable it for a new bake though !
    @Noren Just checked, my old UV aren't triangulated. Guess that ll remain a mystery along with socks disappearance and bermuda triangle.

• Noren
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Noren polycounter lvl 19
    Are you sure your lowpoly mesh is fine? Hard to tell with the edge overlay, but there is definitely something going on and I see no reason to write it off as a Max viewport problem.
  • Nizidranamitz
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    @Butthair Thanks for your feedback. For the sake of understanding I did a few tests : keeping the mesh quad (with old UV) solves the issue. Adding a STL Check modifier solves the issues.  I guess there was some double faces or some weird connections done during retopology. I Imported the mesh (without a STL check modifier) on maya and here is the shading :

The UV layout

There are a couple of lost poly : these are cut from behind the eyes that I will prolly delete later, and the nostrils holes.
    Its the first time I do UV for a character with naked torso, so if there is a better way to cut seams I'm eager to know it !
  • Butthair
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Butthair polycounter lvl 11
    Glad it got solved. If you exported the model out as an OBj then imported to Maya (or back to Max) the problem should have resolved in either case. But if STL Check works, then it's the same as Maya Cleanup.

As for the Unwrap, it looks fine now, no seam edges in unexpected areas.

If the end goal is for film, then hide your seams and reduce them as much as possible. Hide seams in areas under the arm and legs, where shadows occur more often. Because he's naked there's only so much that can be done, otherwise the texture and normals need to do the rest of the work in hiding seams.

If the goal is games, then the goal is resolution and packing UVs to use as much UV space as possible - we don't want empty areas in the UVs, that's wasted memory space when the texture gets loaded. Get the texel density consistent, then pack UV's with density in mind. You can also save on space by only unwrapping half the model first, then duplicating the geo for the other half. The UVs will be in the same spot (they're also flipped because of the symmetry flipping) which means both arms reuse the same area of the texture. You can keep the head unwrapped without symmetry if you have asymmetrical features there.

Lastly, as a general UV habit to get into, keep your UVs easy to read. The head is upside down for instance. Any similar elements (the palms in this case) should layout the same. Even if you want everything laid out uniquely it's still beneficial to unwrap half, duplicate a new half, weld verts and work from there - remember to flip the UVs for the new half. Ignore small or unimportant UVs while packing, then place those unimportant elements in you UVs.
  • Nizidranamitz
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    @Noren I checked again, no overlapping face, or unwelded vertice, no flipped face either . Here are a couple of different angles from the lowpoly, Let me know if anything else bugs you. Here is a screen out of Topogun, you can see the wireframe edge flow on top of the Hipoly. Anyways, thanks for your feedback !

@Butthair Thank you for explaining it thoroughtly ! Its for a real time game asset, aiming for two texture (prolly 2 or 4 K rez) and roughtly 30-40k poly, to match up next gen standards . At first I wanted to make a unique texture on both arms, but well you're right, better to same some space for rez and more important spots . Nice trick to unwrap in symmetry then weld, thanks, I'll work more smartly from now on !