Home Technical Talk

ZBrush SSS

vertex
Offline / Send Message
miriamylam vertex
I saw this promotional ZBrush render:

Do you think this was rendered in ZBrush? How can I get this SSS effect in ZBrush where the light shines through cloth but not an object behind it?

Replies

• musashidan
    Offline / Send Message
    musashidan high dynamic range
    This is a promotional video for 4R8.....which hasn't been released yet. There is a live demo on today (13th)that this image is the advertisement for. 
  • miriamylam
    Offline / Send Message
    miriamylam vertex
    This is a promotional video for 4R8.....which hasn't been released yet. There is a live demo on today (13th)that this image is the advertisement for. 
    I thought that might be the case, but I wasn't sure because as far as I know 4R7 has its own brand of SSS which I've never messed with. Thanks for letting me know!
  • musashidan
    Offline / Send Message
    Yes, R7 has a a psuedo-SSS rendering effect, and also a wax shader effect but not to be compared with physically based SSS shading that you would see in any of the offline renderers. 
  • Neox
    Online / Send Message
    Neox veteran polycounter
    when?
  • Scruples
    Offline / Send Message
    Scruples polycounter lvl 10
    @Neox High Noon Pdt, https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uvmnowXV2kY
    Also I don't think the question was directly answered, no you can't do any renders with translucency in Zbrush as it's not supported.
  • miriamylam
    Offline / Send Message
    miriamylam vertex
    Scruples said:
    @Neox High Noon Pdt, https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uvmnowXV2kY
    Also I don't think the question was directly answered, no you can't do any renders with translucency in Zbrush as it's not supported.
    I hope this render means that this feature is coming in 4R8.
  • thomasp
    Offline / Send Message
    thomasp hero character
    to me it hints at some sort of clothsim functionality and the aforementioned render effect to be featured in the next version of Z.
    at least it wouldn't make much sense for them to create promotional material using apps from the competition.
  • Neox
    Online / Send Message
    Neox veteran polycounter
    thomasp said:
    to me it hints at some sort of clothsim functionality and the aforementioned render effect to be featured in the next version of Z.
    at least it wouldn't make much sense for them to create promotional material using apps from the competition.
    tho with the keyshot bridge i wouldnt count that as competition.
    That said, its promotional art, don't put too much weight on it ^^
  • miriamylam
    Offline / Send Message
    miriamylam vertex
    thomasp said:
    Exactly my train of thought.
  • thomasp
    Offline / Send Message
    thomasp hero character
    Neox said:
    tho with the keyshot bridge i wouldnt count that as competition.
    That said, its promotional art, don't put too much weight on it ^^
    indeed, forgot about keyshot, well possible that it has been used in the process.
    that - and the marvelous designer bridge they are going to announce, obviously!
  • thomasp
    Offline / Send Message
    thomasp hero character
    doh!
    oh well - and here i was secretly hoping i could stop doing a tailor's job. thanks, obam... zbrush.

• miriamylam
    Offline / Send Message
    miriamylam vertex
    Ok so now that that's out of the way... How WOULD you get a render like this done in, say, Keyshot? I'm really needing to replicate this translucency effect through a solid object. Or should I make a new thread?
  • musashidan
    Offline / Send Message
    Eh......funnily enough you would use the translucent material in KS. A quick search of the KS docs would tell you that.

Translucency
    This controls how deep light penetrates into and through the surface. The higher your translucency value, the more of the subsurface color you will see coming through the surface. Higher translucency values will also create a softer looking material.
  • miriamylam
    Offline / Send Message
    miriamylam vertex
    Eh......funnily enough you would use the translucent material in KS. A quick search of the KS docs would tell you that.

Translucency
    This controls how deep light penetrates into and through the surface. The higher your translucency value, the more of the subsurface color you will see coming through the surface. Higher translucency values will also create a softer looking material.
    I found that immediately after posting, came back here to edit my post. I was searching for SSS instead of translucent. Sorry about that and thanks!