Home Technical Talk

How can I avoid wire bleeding effect after baking normal?

null
Offline / Send Message
Pinned
zeppelin null
Hi,

I have a problem with baking normal. It's about wire bleeding(Can I say it wire bleeding?).

As you see the photos below, some lines which came from low poly have been drawn on normal map.
I'v baked it out in Substance Painter.

I guess setting multiple smoothing group would help for this issue but I really don't want to go that way because multiple smoothing group creates hard edges.

I need advice on this and thank you in advance.

Replies

• Farfarer
    Avoiding long, thin triangles - especially on areas of the normal map with big colour changes - will help alleviate this.

That said, hard edges shouldn't be an issue if you're baking your normal maps correctly anyway (and they're probably the best way to fix this).
  • Revel
    Offline / Send Message
    Revel interpolator
    Or edit normal your mesh (if you are using 3ds max, not sure about other package), so that long this triangle will be facing the same face normal direction and it will minimize the gradient on your normal map.
  • zeppelin
    Offline / Send Message
    zeppelin null
    Farfarer said:
    Avoiding long, thin triangles - especially on areas of the normal map with big colour changes - will help alleviate this.

That said, hard edges shouldn't be an issue if you're baking your normal maps correctly anyway (and they're probably the best way to fix this).
    Hi.

Yes. I found that too long triangles are creating artifact so I'll not make them as long as I can.

As for smoothing group, in my opinion, choosing SG for single or multiple doesn't seem to matter when it rendered by realtime like Toolbag does. But when it comes to non realtime method like static light in UE4, I see obvious hard edges between SG. Especially the mesh's area where light hits less than the other parts, I found this happens a lot.

So this is why I'm reluctant to have multiple SG if I'm working with non realtime way. I suppose that my knowledge might be wrong for no one told of this before so if I'm wrong, please teach me how I should do for that.

Best Regards

• zeppelin
    Offline / Send Message
    zeppelin null
    Revel said:
    Or edit normal your mesh (if you are using 3ds max, not sure about other package), so that long this triangle will be facing the same face normal direction and it will minimize the gradient on your normal map.
    Thank you for teaching me the method. I'm gonna try it and see how it works.

By the way, I realized that I've been following you for long time on Artstation:)
    All of your works are so amazing and inspiring to me.

Best Regards