Home Animation Showcase & Critiques

Death by eyeball explosion

polycounter lvl 18
Offline / Send Message
Pinned
Archanex polycounter lvl 18
This is where I'm at for the animbreak challenge. I think I got a little over ambitious trying to compete with some of the other entries here. There's probably a million things wrong, so I doubt I'll get to everything but I just wanted to get peoples thoughts as I wrap this up. Thanks everyone!

https://syncsketch.com/sketch/156994#191222

Replies

• Einar
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Einar polycounter lvl 5
    There is a lot i really like about this one, really good job, Loads of weight shift and fun ideas and fun poses. The unfortunate thing that holds it back, and should be your focus is that i didn't know his eyes were exploding before you told me. You really need to make that clear to sell the shot.

Heres why it's hard to get. After they have "popped" his eyes look the same as before they exploded, making it just feel like he closes his eyes again. So first tip, is keeping the open all the time before they pop. Here's several of possibility that might fix it: Can you add a effect with a few frames where we see the mesh of the eyes tear apart? Maybe atleast push the eyegrowth further. Can you push some bloody reaction out of the eyes?. A easy solution MIGHT be to go and copy the models texture file, go into photoshop and just make a bloody eye version of him (just draw some red marks as if the eyes exploded). You can hide the red part with his regular ball eyes that should cover it pre explosion.

No matter if you manage to get it working it's still a fun shot, and i totally get it once i know the title, but i think it will help you a lot if people can understand it without seeing context. I currently struggle with something very similar in my shot, so i know what you're going through. Good luck!
  • Hito
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Hito interpolator
    Really like how you use the space by moving around. it adds so much life and so enhances the suffering. some insane geysers of blood coming out of eye sockets would be awesome. :D

like in the greatest duel in cinematic history.
    https://youtu.be/-NNaj5YUxco?t=33s

• Archanex
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Awesome! This is exactly the type of feedback I was hoping for. Thanks guys!
  • Archanex
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    This is what I ended up submitting, though there's still plenty more I'd like to do to it. I feel like the suggestion to add blood spraying was a good one. My goal was to make the shot comical without being overly gory. Still I think my execution of said idea leaves me wanting more.

• Hito
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Hito interpolator
    hahaha. nice! how did you do the blood spurts?
  • Archanex
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I went to http://www.fxelements.com and downloaded one of their blood hits, and then put it on a layer in After Effects and set the blending mode to screen. There's probably a better way, but this was relatively quick and easy given the deadline.
  • brucemoose
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    brucemoose polycounter lvl 3
    Archanex said:
    This is what I ended up submitting, though there's still plenty more I'd like to do to it. I feel like the suggestion to add blood spraying was a good one. My goal was to make the shot comical without being overly gory. Still I think my execution of said idea leaves me wanting more.

It feels like you've lost a lot of your timing from blocking to spline here, the feet feel really snappy and sticky. You definitely need more keys on the feet in spline.

I would do a pass on the feet if you have the time, that aside I think it's pretty cool.
  • Arturow
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Arturow polycounter
    LOL that is so awesome Archanex! loved the eye animation :)
  • Archanex
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    @brucemoose the timing is the same, I just ran out of time to do a proper spline pass before the deadline. I'll come back and revisit it and clean it up though for sure. I agree, it doesn't have the same pop that the blocking has.