Home 3D Art Showcase & Critiques

Tomb of Gilgamesh - UE4 WIP environment design

null
Offline / Send Message
Pinned
Yugeen null
Hi guys,

I am working on my personal project, an environment scene in Unreal to up my modelling and designing skills :) the main inspiration for this project is the architecture and art of ancient Mesopotamia and Babylon. At first it was supposed to be a small hall with high poly props but instead I decided for a level-like environment. Design-wise it is inspired by the Uncharted series levels and the recent Tomb Raider titles

Please let me know what you think! I am an architecture student finishing my college at the moment, but afterwards I want to get into the game industry and any comment would be really helpful :)
I'd love to get some critiques and advice!

Replies

• Yugeen
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Yugeen null
    Here are a few references I used as inspiration for my project. On one side there are references of ancient mesopotamian architecture, be it sumerian, babylonian or persian - I decided to use a mix of all the styles to get a feeling of grandieur and richness of space; and some concept art I found on the internet that really inspired me :) I must apologize in advance for not posting the names of the artist but I found he concept art all around the net.

• Yugeen
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Yugeen null
    This is a quick layout of the scene I made in photoshop. The main idea is that the scene depicts the burial chambers of a mythological mesopotamian character: Gilgamesh. The tomb was designed as a maze of halls cut into the cliff face just as it is in the real Tomb of Artaxerxes in Iran. Inside the cliff are the chambers and hallways of the tomb, but over time the cave system has collapsed and demolished the original form of the tomb. The walls and vaults of tomb are adorned with mosaics and reliefs that depict and celebrate the glorious life of Gilgamesh. The tomb itself resides inside a natural cavernous chamber, around which the platforms and architecture has been built. 

this is all still in concept phase, so let me know what you think and maybe I can make it better :)

• Yugeen
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Yugeen null
    and this are a few of the screenshots from my blockout I made in Unreal

I'll start making the high poly assets as soon as I decide on the final layout of the tomb :)