Home 3D Art Showcase & Critiques

CrazyMoon's Monsters, Mechs and others

polycounter lvl 3
Offline / Send Message
CrazyMoon polycounter lvl 3
Just wanted to open a thread where I could post personal projects and WiPs images from time to time. Had a lot of fun doing it in the ArtWar competition so I thought why not do it for personal projects in general. 

Replies

• CrazyMoon
    Offline / Send Message
    Starting it off with a wip Skull Crawler fanart from the latest King Kong movie. I thought they looked pretty cool. I want to push my organic sculpting and creature work with him. I'm planning to combine it with another character I would like to do in the future, but I'll see about that once I get there.

I just started putting in some noise around his head area to see how it looks for now. I have to stop neglecting the tail as much and pull it down so it's on the ground like the hands which I probably should've done before this post but w.e. If you have any feedback regarding anatomy or proportions on the torso part I'd love to hear it.  
  • CrazyMoon
    Offline / Send Message
    Did a pass on the skin near his neck, upper chest and back. Adjusted some angles and shapes here and there. Pulled down the tail and other minor tweaks. Gonna go for the arms next possibly.
  • CrazyMoon
    Offline / Send Message
    Alright didn't have too much time on him since last update, but I changed up his hands, tail length, put in spikes, refined the sculpt on certain parts like the tail and chest. I should be done with the high poly soonish. I'm at the patience game stage I think :> Still have to refine a lot of parts. The Arms also need one larger pass once from triceps to handpalm, as changing the whole shape set me behind a bit over there :< . Hands need to be bigger, left em a bit too small.
  • ShaneRoberson
    Awesome! Great work. One area I think you could improve though is the scapula. It seems a bit tacked on. Think of the muscles that anchor to it and where they insert and overlap with other muscles of the shoulder. Also the hand looks weird with the longest finger nearer to the outside but maybe that's what you're going for. Just a couple areas I thought I could point out but it's solid work so far! Keep it up!
  • CrazyMoon
    Offline / Send Message
    @ShaneRoberson
    Hey man I agree on the hands for sure. I took some time to adjust a couple of things on there. I wasn't too sure on the scapula part, I guess you mean like pushing the teres major and trapezius a bit more? I pushed it a bit more, I guess they were a bit too sharp. I'm curious if you notice the change I did or not or if that was what you meant. If it wasn't, then I didn't really understand :< 

Only had a couple of hours on him again. Still have to do the big pass on the arms and top of the skull. He is pretty close though imo. I'd guesstimate another 3-4 sessions and I can start the low poly. Which is another reason to start on the 2nd part of the project now. I want to try and time it so I have a fun high poly to work on while I do retopo uvs and bakes on the other :> 

So for the 2nd part this is what I have so far, it's super rough but I think it at least shows somewhat what I have planned. The design on this guy could still change a lot, but I do think I want a gundam to face off with the skullcrawler.

• ShaneRoberson
    @CrazyMoon
    Yeah I can see the improvement in the shoulder area. After looking up some more comparative anatomy reference I think I was talking about how the teres minor and infraspinatus attach to the spine of the scapula and insert under the deltoid and over the tricep and then the teres major under the tricep. I still think the infraspinatus and teres minor could be more visible, but it's looking good just keep it up!
  • CrazyMoon
    Offline / Send Message
    @ShaneRoberson
    Ah I see what you mean now. Thanks for explaining that! I agree, even though they tend to be a flat shape for the most part I did maybe push a bit too far :3 Also thanks! 

I'm pretty sure I will be going with something like this for the gundam. At least in terms of shapes and general design. I will now start cleaning it all up and then add some nice deets with imms and alphas. I want the final model to have a lot of independent plates and pieces so I can have some fun if I or someone decides to animate it. I also wanna make the hard surface more of a challenge to think more functionally. 

• CrazyMoon
    Offline / Send Message
    Ok! So I made an IMM and I've cleaned up most of the chest. Still some things I might change later on (trying to stay flexible). Changed the proportions and design on the chest especially. Now with the IMM brush I can model the parts pretty fast. The edges are still very hard but it's just a matter of pressing crtl d 3 times and those creases turn into bakeable smooth edges. The chest is not done, I still want to do some more modeling on it (cables, smaller parts and details), but before I fully commit I wanna build all the other parts up to this point at least. Just so I know that it all works and fits nicely. Also added a shot of what I have in my IMM so far, still gonna create some more pieces for it later on probably.

• CrazyMoon
    Offline / Send Message
    Alright had some time to pump into the skullcrawler. Did the skull/head and some work on the arms. Still a little more before retopo. One more pass on the arms/hands and a pass on the gums/inside of the mouth and I can start retopo for him. I'm thinking of doing some of the finer details in Substance Painter. I'll decide after retopo. 
  • CrazyMoon
    Offline / Send Message
    Alright it's been some time. So I retopo'd him and did the final zbrush pass on the body. Still have to get on the mouth parts and claws and so.

On this guy I've cleaned up some more, but he definitely still needs a lot of work. 

For now I'm gonna focus on the Skullcrawler to try and get him done before the 29th. Then I can start the 3rd and continue some more on the mech. Theoretically of course, if all goes according to plan which it never does :^) 
  • CrazyMoon
    Offline / Send Message
    Ok! So next up baking and texturing. Got the UVs done (just missing eyes and teeth which I can fit in later) and the retopo is all done. Here are the final shots of the High Poly. Also added a shot of the low res at 46k tris (not counting teeth and eyes yet, he has quite a few teeth as well hehe so I expect him to be around 70k in the end). 

• Aserlol
    Offline / Send Message
    Aserlol polycounter lvl 8
    How did u make the retopo? Zremesher and 3dmax? Love the amount of detail u put on it.
  • CrazyMoon
    Offline / Send Message
    @Aserlol
    Nope, in 3D-Coat. You should try it if you haven't! It's very fast. And thank you! 

Managed to do a pass on the body textures today, still needs a lot of work, but at least he's got some color. I'm texturing in Substance Painter.
  • CrazyMoon
    Offline / Send Message
    Just keep painting, just keep painting! Still needs a lot, but I have two more days to get all of it done. Gonna be super tight >.< 
  • CrazyMoon
    Offline / Send Message
    Feels like mostly details is what I did today. Tomorrow she gets teeth, eyes and some more adjustments >.< !! Especially the skull still needs quite a few touchups. 
  • CrazyMoon
    Offline / Send Message
    Alright, teeth and eyes, she's also in Marmoset now! Made somewhat of a base which I think should be ok? I know that rendering is uhh not one of my strong points to say the least so any feedback is greatly appreciated!! Also pretty much any feedback would be great as tomorrow is the last day I have to work on her. What I have planned for tomorrow is saliva, eye wetness layer, pose, some dust/fog and some damage on the skull. 
  • cyborgguineapig
    Offline / Send Message
    cyborgguineapig polycounter lvl 14
    Creepalicious 
  • CrazyMoon
    Offline / Send Message
    @cyborgguineapig
    :3

Alright so I'm pretty much done with her for now. Gonna work on the other things next and any fixes on this girl will be left for when I unite all the characters into one scene. I have some hq shots, wires and some more over here: https://www.artstation.com/artwork/g4PnE

• UnrealAnimationSTD
    Cool art! loved the movie!!! By the way checkout are kickstarter! for our old school game!
  • Kend
    Offline / Send Message
    Kend greentooth
    Great work Crazymoon! Looks fantastic and you nailed the likeness from the movie :D 
  • karytsukino
    Offline / Send Message
    karytsukino greentooth
    Cool monster Crazymoon!  :)
  • CrazyMoon
    Offline / Send Message
    @Kend Thanks man! Glad you like it!! 
    @karytsukino Thank you :3

Took a while to get somewhere on the mech, but I think now I have the direction I want! I know it's very blobby and it's still very much wip, but it's still an update I guess. The legs still need a lot more work, I want the kneecap to be a separate part from the lower leg and some other things. Then it's gonna be some more polish (a lot actually) and then some detailing (yay!). The frame is built though, so I think one of the harder things is done at least >.< 
  • Mitchellangelo
    Offline / Send Message
    Mitchellangelo polycounter lvl 7
    OH KONG: SKULL ISLAND!!  That looks amazing!  I think the silhouette looks great and the skin detailing and the anatomy on the creature!
  • MAJmuffin
    Offline / Send Message
    MAJmuffin polycounter lvl 5
    O boi. you're going to love the new Bouleans on 4R8 for your Gundam dude
  • CrazyMoon
    Offline / Send Message
    @Mitchellangelo
    Thanks for the kind words! :blush:
    @MAJmuffin
    Hell yeah! 

Ok so I got the mech up to a certain point, but I'm still very back and forth on it. At the moment I'm considering either starting completely from scratch and changing the whole design or pushing and pulling more on it until I like it. I do feel like I have to do something extreme to like it again at least.

On a more positive note I did start on the pilot that I want for the mech (w.e I end up doing for it). For now I just know I want her to be an elf. Still have to figure out a lot about her, but this is her face so far. I've just been trying to get her to look pretty so far (trying being the keyword), I might add some toughness later. I'm not too comfortable with my facial anatomy yet and just started looking into the deeper stuff on it, so any pointers would be great :)
  • Mitchellangelo
  • CrazyMoon
    Offline / Send Message
    Still alive!! So she's changed quite a bit, I still have some things here and there to do, like merging the body and the head, then doing one more body pass. Also long live hair procrastination.

• Maxilator
    Offline / Send Message
    Maxilator polycounter lvl 8
    It's really strange seeing that monster you made, back in school I made a monster that is eerily similar in design and this sort of looks like a fully realized version of it, great work!
  • CrazyMoon
    Offline / Send Message
    Haven't posted in a while, working on this dragon from Spellforce 3 and Maxim Verehin. Had the itch to try it since I saw it the first time >.< Still lots to do, but slowly getting there!
  • CrazyMoon
    Offline / Send Message
    Hey guys, long time since I last posted here >< . Recently finished Mole Wang's creature, originally meant for Beneath the Waves, but I couldn't finish at that time. Felt good to just push it through. I think I learned quite a few things on this on which I can improve upon. Onto the next! 

There's some more shots and a marmoset viewer on my artstation: https://www.artstation.com/artwork/WeP2N
    Different lighting, but just in case you wanna see the topology or stuff like that. 

Gonna tackle dragon from above soon ^.^
  • CrazyMoon
    Offline / Send Message
    Here's a WiP render of my Dragon :> original concept by Maxim Verehin. 
    Higher res here: https://www.artstation.com/artwork/VPE1Z

• CrazyMoon
    Offline / Send Message
    Been while since I posted here :O 
    Anyways recently had a chance to work on a cool freelance project, this is a knight I made for it. It functions as an armor set and can split into 6 different pieces.
    25k Tris, presentation in Unreal Engine. 
    There's more images and a few GIFs on my page if interested: https://www.artstation.com/artwork/Vdq6O5

• CrazyMoon
    Offline / Send Message
    Another angle, I feel like I'm messing up this formatting...