Home 3D Art Showcase & Critiques

Last of Us, Bedroom Fan Art (UE4)

polycounter lvl 8
Offline / Send Message
ajester polycounter lvl 8

Hello Jacob here, big fan of Last of Us and Naughty Dogs style. So i started making a Unreal Engine 4 scene based on the concept art made by John Sweeney. I'm two weeks in the project so starting this thread a bit late but some props are still left and then it´s vertex painting, lightning and all post process left, so tag along. 

Im working iteratively with the props, so many things has only the first texture-pass and when everything is in the scene i will add “history” to them.

Focus on this scene was,

• Get a better and faster workflow for props.

• Learn Marvel Designer for prop creation.

• Learn Unreal Engine 4 lightning, baked.

Concept By John Sweeney https://www.artstation.com/artwork/l2ba

Blockout;

Right now;

Some props;

Replies

• RustySpannerz
    Offline / Send Message
    RustySpannerz polycounter lvl 13
    I think you've captured ND's style quite nicely, it all looks quite painterly. The only thing that looks a little off is the bed cover, the material looks a little basic and the cover overall looks a little thin. 
  • ajester
    Offline / Send Message
    I think you've captured ND's style quite nicely, it all looks quite painterly. The only thing that looks a little off is the bed cover, the material looks a little basic and the cover overall looks a little thin. 
    Thanks! Yeah see what you mean, it´s also a bit perfect bedded and not like a kids-room should has it bed bedded. I will make one with more fluffy bed sheet and some messy spots. Thanks for the feedback! 
  • RustySpannerz
    Offline / Send Message
    RustySpannerz polycounter lvl 13
    Yeah, also in the concept the bedding has a sewn quilted look, I think that would work quite nicely. 
  • ajester
    Offline / Send Message
    Yeah, also in the concept the bedding has a sewn quilted look, I think that would work quite nicely. 
    Yes i will push the bed more, especially because it takes so much space in the scene. 

Some props update;

Next i will make some backpacks for the door. 
  • ajester
    Offline / Send Message
    Nice with some weekend and time to focus on the scene, soon all props are done and i will start pushing the scene more. 

The scene right now

Paintover i did on what i want to fix, the bed is wierd and gonna do what feedback did give me  RustySpannerz 

First texture-pass on handbag/backpack

• nastobi123
    Offline / Send Message
    nastobi123 polycounter lvl 8
    nice stuff man, subbed, really dig the bags. Im pretty new with this stuff, was wondering what was your process on creating those bags ? 
  • ajester
    Offline / Send Message
    nice stuff man, subbed, really dig the bags. Im pretty new with this stuff, was wondering what was your process on creating those bags ? 

Thank mate!

I wanted to test two workflow on these props, the handbag i tried the workflow that was inspired by Alec Moody. I did a base mesh on all pieces with even polygons with gave a nice Highpoly to sculpt on in Zbrush.

This made it fast and easy to make a lowpoly with the base mesh i did, and with some sculpting in zbrush (alway work on low subD when getting the forms and then slowy give it a higher SubD)

https://www.artstation.com/artwork/Vy5J5

The backpack i wanted to push my zbrush skills, so i worked from a simple base mesh and sculpted the form and detail. Got this from Marie-Michelle Pepin, she got a great video on this topic!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=x6z-iaAx1P4

Also good and many reference on the side!

Then it´s Quixel texturing but it's the first texture-pass, will add some dirt, wear and history when all the props are done in the scene. Thinking "broad brushstrokes" when making the environment and then in the end putting the details in.

• ajester
    Offline / Send Message
    Quick update on the scene, all props are done. Now i making all work together. 
  • ajester
    Offline / Send Message

Redid the lightning and read up on some stuff, still not where i want it to be but will make the props done first and then focus on lightning again. 
  • NovaaH
    Offline / Send Message
    NovaaH polycounter lvl 3
    Color scheme is spot on. Maybe just a little grain.

For the scene itself, I like where it going, but it's still not dirty enough to make me think of tlou, but I guess the texturing/props are not yet finished. ( Oh, also, the walls peeling is a little odd, if it's supposed to be definitive. )

Please finish it, would love to have that thing in my wallpaper folder.  :*
  • alexrc
    Offline / Send Message
    alexrc interpolator
    Hi. Your scene looks great. I'm a fan of the game. I have two quick questions. 

1. What is your workflow for this type of scene? I'm new to this and I assume it starts with a block model in either Maya or max, followed by a finer sculpt in zbrush?  Also, do you do your UVs in zbrush and texturing in substance?

2. Is this all rendered in EU4?
  • macoll
    Offline / Send Message
    macoll polycounter lvl 13
    Cool scene and props.
    I would move the sun to have more lighting on the bed
  • ajester
    Offline / Send Message
    NovaaH said:
    Color scheme is spot on. Maybe just a little grain.

For the scene itself, I like where it going, but it's still not dirty enough to make me think of tlou, but I guess the texturing/props are not yet finished. ( Oh, also, the walls peeling is a little odd, if it's supposed to be definitive. )

Please finish it, would love to have that thing in my wallpaper folder.  :*

Thanks a lot, i'm definitely with you on the dirt and wear, want to push it further. I´m looking in too decals in unreal but it doesn't really work at the moment but then i will give the wall some breakup. Also some of the props are still in the first texture-fase and i will try to push the Last of Us theme more.
    Yeah it was really to large gape so it look weird, fix´d it :D

Wow, nice with some pressure! Will try to make it wallpaper-worthy ;)

• ajester
    Offline / Send Message
    alexrc said:
    Hi. Your scene looks great. I'm a fan of the game. I have two quick questions. 

1. What is your workflow for this type of scene? I'm new to this and I assume it starts with a block model in either Maya or max, followed by a finer sculpt in zbrush?  Also, do you do your UVs in zbrush and texturing in substance?

2. Is this all rendered in EU4?

Thanks Alex, yes i´m also love with the game.

1. For this scene i did the blockout in Maya, always updating it unreal and trying out some lights early. This was my first real attempt on working with unreal and lightning so it was a lot of try and error. But i use Maya to build the level (like Naughty Dog and Ready at Dawn i think work). It´s nice to make the build in Maya where i feel that the control and grid is more in my liking.
      The props are mostly done with Maya blockout - Zbrush sculpt and then texture in Quxiel Suite which is similar to substance. Some asses are just maya modeling with some bavel for edge like the walls, doorframe and wall strips. UVs was made in Maya, i worked very focused on making good UVs for the lightmaps also, so i can get nice lightmaps-bakes in Unreal Engine.

2. Yes, the scene is rendered in UE4 and the single shot props is rendered in Marmoset.

Hope this answer all your questions! 

• ajester
    Offline / Send Message
    macoll said:
    Cool scene and props.
    I would move the sun to have more lighting on the bed
    Thanks! 

Yeah the bed need better highlight indeed, may cheat some to get it right. Also it a bit flat right now and would be nice to get some me folds 
  • Shyralon
    Offline / Send Message
    Shyralon polycounter lvl 11
    The scene looks great, I like the lighting and the props are pretty good as well.
    Only small thing that is bothering me a bit are these vertical lines at the wall where the paint is peeling of - they are really dark and fairly wide so they draw all the attention towards them. Maybe make them a bit more subtle?
  • ajester
    Offline / Send Message
    Shyralon said:
    The scene looks great, I like the lighting and the props are pretty good as well.
    Only small thing that is bothering me a bit are these vertical lines at the wall where the paint is peeling of - they are really dark and fairly wide so they draw all the attention towards them. Maybe make them a bit more subtle?

Thanks, yeah it was bugging me too after uploading so i fixed it, but will also break it up better because It´s a bit to even right now. Also i will fix the dark part behind. It´s just a flat color right now so will give it a texture, maybe wood or white plaster?

• ajester
    Offline / Send Message
    Update on the scene, will probably call it done.