Home Technical Talk

How do you articulate an .OBJ file? Wich program to use? (Newbie here)

gabrielhawk
polycounter lvl 2
Offline / Send Message
gabrielhawk polycounter lvl 2
Hi everyone. I am a newbie to 3d modeling. I am an amateur artist and want to use 3d models as references for drawings.

I downloaded various .OBJ files, including this dragon: https://free3d.com/3d-model/alduin-dragon-rigged--76875.html
and I can import it into DAZ Studio, but I can't move it's parts. Is there a way I can articulate it? Like, move it's neck, legs, etc, so I can get into the position I want to draw? 

You can also see this wolf https://free3d.com/3d-model/wolf-rigged-and-game-ready-42808.html to see it's fully articulated with bones, etc, but I can't move anything. Am I using the wrong program?

I'm sorry if I am posting in the wrong Forum, but I searched for a Newbies section and couldn't find one :(

Replies

• cryrid
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    cryrid interpolator
    OBJ files don't contain any kind of rigging, so you'll likely have to manually do this in a program of your choice (Maya, Max, Blender, etc). 

I've not used to DAZ Studio, but this might be a place to start: http://docs.daz3d.com/doku.php/public/software/dazstudio/4/userguide/creating_content/rigging/tutorials/adding_bones_for_rigging/start
  • gabrielhawk
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    cryrid said:
    OBJ files don't contain any kind of rigging, so you'll likely have to manually do this in a program of your choice (Maya, Max, Blender, etc). 

I've not used to DAZ Studio, but this might be a place to start: http://docs.daz3d.com/doku.php/public/software/dazstudio/4/userguide/creating_content/rigging/tutorials/adding_bones_for_rigging/start
    Hello, thank you for the quick reply! I didn't know about this Rigging thing. Now I think it'll help me a lot.
    What still bugs me is that the title of the file says it's already Rigged. Like the wolf: 

And also this dragon: 

Is there a way to import the model already Rigged into a program? It doesn't have to be Daz, can be any other, where I can manipulate it?
  • throttlekitty
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I can't recommend using daz studio for what you initially asked for. It's easy enough to use as an end user, but setting up a new skeleton and painting skin weights is much easier in any other program.

That first Alduin model is rigged, but it's a .c4d file for the Cinema4d software, and only includes an obj as an extra, which doesn't contain bones or animation info as mentioned. The second dragon and wolf were made fully rigged in Blender, I'd suggest using Blender if you only want to pose and render. The wolf seems to have some extra rig controls judging by the run loop gif, which would make posing a little easier.

It also includes an .fbx file, which is a pretty good format for passing rigged models between programs, so that's something to watch for when picking out models. You should be able to load that fbx in daz and start posing if you're already familiar with the program.
  • gabrielhawk
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I can't recommend using daz studio for what you initially asked for. It's easy enough to use as an end user, but setting up a new skeleton and painting skin weights is much easier in any other program.

That first Alduin model is rigged, but it's a .c4d file for the Cinema4d software, and only includes an obj as an extra, which doesn't contain bones or animation info as mentioned. The second dragon and wolf were made fully rigged in Blender, I'd suggest using Blender if you only want to pose and render. The wolf seems to have some extra rig controls judging by the run loop gif, which would make posing a little easier.

It also includes an .fbx file, which is a pretty good format for passing rigged models between programs, so that's something to watch for when picking out models. You should be able to load that fbx in daz and start posing if you're already familiar with the program.
    Hi, thank you for replying.

I don't really need to render, nor paint skin weights. All I need is to just manipulate the 3d object/creature in a pose I need to draw.

I use this program called Design Doll for humanoid references, It is very easy to use, it comes with a 3d doll and you can pose it in any position you want, and also move the camera around at any angle so you can get a good perspective to draw. There are no textures, nothing. You can articulate everything in your model, even the toes of the feet!  

What I needed was something that simple where I could manipulate other creatures and not only humanoids, for perspective studies, you know? Like, drawing a dragon looking directly at you (at the camera)  can be very challenging if you don't have a reference, and 3D models seem like the perfect tool for that. 

You can buy other creatures in Daz 3D to pose them around, but they are SO expensive :( and I did find those websites that offer you free 3d files. I just don't know exactly how to manipulate them. 

Blender seem so complicated :(