Home 3D Art Showcase & Critiques

[Unity] Roman Amphorae

ABinhoF
polycounter lvl 5
Offline / Send Message
ABinhoF polycounter lvl 5
Hey everyone, just looking for some critiques on my latest project. My goal is to eventually create 12 different amphorae types, using only three tiling materials (which will mainly be color variations). I'm shooting for 1,500 triangles each.

I'm modeling in Blender, creating materials in Substance Designer, and rendering in Unity. I find lighting and presentation to be my biggest weakness, so feedback on those aspects especially would be much appreciated :) Here is my first type, a Dressel 20, in all three color variations:

Here it is in Sketchfab too:

model

Thanks!

Replies

• Jean-Pascal
    Offline / Send Message
    Jean-Pascal polycounter lvl 5
    Hello mate!
    While looking at your sketchfab file, I noticed that you have a big seam on one side of your model. You also seem to have some stretching going on, so make sure your uv's are relaxed.

The second thing I'd suggest is to reduce the amount of polygons where they don't really affect the silhouette, and use them to make blocky parts (for example the handles) a bit smoother.

Keep it up!
  • ABinhoF
    Offline / Send Message
    Thanks for the C&C man! That's a good tip out the edge-loops, will play around with them a bit more. Might exaggerate that one around the rim so it contributes to the silhouette more.

I'm not going to lie, the UV's have been a pain on this. I tried both spherical and cylindrical unwraps on it, and even a combination of both, but then the stretching around the neck was too visible. I settled with a planar unwrap from the front and one from the back welded on one side (since I wanted the painted text only on the front). That's why there is stretching on the sides (where its less in-the-face) and that big ugly seam :( I'm going to try relaxing the sides more to lessen the stretching. Any tips on how to hide/ get rid of the seam? Here's what the UV's for the body look like atm:

Here's a break down of the textures (metallic is just black):

And all the other amphorae I'll be making (Most of these profiles are from the Southampton University Amphora Project):

• Jean-Pascal
    Offline / Send Message
    Jean-Pascal polycounter lvl 5
    My pleasure!  Regarding the seam, the easiest way to get rid of it would be to bring your asset in a 3d painting software (substance painter for instance) and use the clone tool to paint over it. 
  • ABinhoF
    Offline / Send Message
    Thanks! My plan is to go back after I finish all the meshes and paint over the seams then. Right now I'm trying to get them all done. Here is the Gauloise 4:

model

• ABinhoF
    Offline / Send Message
    So finished off all the models I wanted to do, and tweaked the material as well. Wasn't 100% happy with the one I had. I've removed the painted labels as well, might re-add them as decals later. Still need to tweak UV's (to fix seams) and make a few changes to the models (optimize edge loops), but close to calling this done! Trying to think of a nicer way to display them all as well. Any more comments/critiques would be appreciated :)