Home Technical Talk

3D Generalist Art Test: I'm confused on shading and rendering requirement (Maya)

ZerkerJ
polycounter lvl 6
Offline / Send Message
ZerkerJ polycounter lvl 6
It's a 3D game character model with texture/spec/normal.  But they are asking the Shader setup needs to be done in Maya with Maya stock shaders or mental ray.  And for the turn in, they are saying renderer and lighting of my choice.  By renderer by my choice are they saying default/mental ray or are they saying I can use tools like marmoset/key shot?  I'm really lost on this part as I've never used Maya for game rendering.  Do they just want me to screen grab it?

Replies

• throttlekitty
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Unless their wording is different than what you've posted, the instructions are to use maya or mental ray for shader setup and render.

You can use standard Maya materials in MR, the easiest route would be to use a blinn or phong with your maps plugged in but you may want to look into using a mila shader. It depends on what kind of look you'll want to go for with this model. Do some three-point lighting on a nice backdrop, turn up the render quality a bit and see how it looks from there.
  • ZacD
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    ZacD ngon master
    Is this art test for a game studio/contract company that has released games with 3d characters? What do their games look like? What engine do they normally use? 
  • ZerkerJ
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Thanks guys!  I'll definitely look into Mila shaders as well with a three-point lighting system.  And the art test is for a game studio that make 3D app games and live-action/photorealistic commercials.  The test is on a 1k poly model and a 4K poly model.  And the engine could be Unity or in-house.  I only interviewed with HR so far, and they didn't know the exact engine.
  • ZacD
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    ZacD ngon master
    Try to stick to an engine with limitations similar to what they have in their games. Using Marmoset with HDR cube maps for lighting doesn't make sense if their titles are using much simpler tech. 
  • ZerkerJ
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Ah okay, that last comment actually clears things up quite a bit.  Thanks ZacD!
  • xChris
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    xChris polycounter lvl 10
    Along with what everyone else said, by renderer, don't forget you can integrate renderman, vray, redshift, or even arnold (comes with 2017) into Maya to do your rendering. I'm not sure how each one responds to Maya's shaders, but looking into which renderer would benefit you time/quality wise will give you a good start! Redshift is gpu based for example, so it'll be faster than the rest of the CPU based renderers if you have a nice graphics card!