Home Technical Talk

Whats up with the excessive extra naming MAYA?

gene098
polycounter lvl 6
Offline / Send Message
gene098 polycounter lvl 6
Hey guys do you know why Maya keeps adding on the name of the .ma's saved name onto all the nodes of the outliner tree?

Every single time I make a new save it adds on a new name and the length is getting ridiculous...

Originally the first one was supposed to be just "Olly_4_7_17_17k_BindSkin"

Now it has 3 file names added before it
same with all the others.

Replies

• throttlekitty
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    How are you starting your sessions? My gut reaction is that you're drag'n'dropping your .ma files into the viewport from explorer; this acts like an import action rather than file>open. One of the default import options is to create and add said imports into a namespace to avoid name clashes. So if you're dragging in, then saving over the original .ma, you'd see something like this. Windows>General Editors>Namespace Editor to go about fixing this.

Lemme know if that's not what you're doing. Or perhaps there's something in referencing a rig or character that might do the same?
  • gene098
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    gene098 polycounter lvl 6
    How are you starting your sessions? My gut reaction is that you're drag'n'dropping your .ma files into the viewport from explorer; this acts like an import action rather than file>open. One of the default import options is to create and add said imports into a namespace to avoid name clashes. So if you're dragging in, then saving over the original .ma, you'd see something like this. Windows>General Editors>Namespace Editor to go about fixing this.

Lemme know if that's not what you're doing. Or perhaps there's something in referencing a rig or character that might do the same?
    Yeah youre right! I am dragging the files into my scene...

How exactly do I fix this?
    This is what my Namespace Editor looks like

Btw do you think  you could also check out my other discussion?

http://polycount.com/discussion/185891/how-to-key-multiple-joints-at-different-rotation-values/p1?new=1

• kwyjibo
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    kwyjibo polycounter lvl 7
    How exactly do I fix this?”

Looking at your outliner, those aren't namespaces. It's just appending the filename to each object. To fix it just rename each of the nodes, save, and open the file normally rather than drag drop importing.

• throttlekitty
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    For starters, I'd read the documentation on Namespaces to get the ins and outs of it, and also be using file>open, but you probably got that by now. The take-away is that it's designed to avoid naming clashes; say you wanted to animate two characters at once who have similar bones. Bringing in the second without namespace would rename all the bones, potentially ruining export or rig functionality, spine1 would be become spine12 for example.

Renaming all the nodes would work, it's simply the ":" delimiter that puts something into a NS, but that's tedious. You can mass move everything via the NS editor and put everything back into root. In your case of having one character and rig, you shouldn't have any issues so long as everything is named properly to begin with.

My rig/animation skillset isn't very strong, I don't have an answer for your other thread, sorry.
  • FildoSaggins
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    FildoSaggins triangle
    @throttlekitty is correct, importing by drag n' drop will add a namespace with the filename each time. You can merge them with the Namespace Editor, and then in the future use File > Import rather than drag n' drop. This will give you additional namespace options which include merging with the root on import.