Some tweaks to gloss + updated the metal material

• igi
    Offline / Send Message
    igi polycounter lvl 12
    model is just great but material needs some oompf
  • Bek
    Offline / Send Message
    Bek interpolator
    In what sense? I'm not looking to make anything too 'game-y'; I'm wanting to replicate the real thing. I've probably put in too much gloss variation as it is. Overall gloss could use a slight decrease actually. There is some more subtle wear I need to get in there though.

If it helps here is some of the reference I've been using:

• Cglewis
    Offline / Send Message
    Cglewis polycounter lvl 12
    I think it is hard to really get a sense of the material on the model due to the lighting.
    If you are going realistic i would really focus on the little details and the subtle color variation in the piece, small chips of paint on the screws
    There appears to be a steel washer under the dial that is on top of the body of the sight that is in the reference that is not on your model.
    But other than that i feel like this is a strong start :)
  • igi
    Offline / Send Message
    igi polycounter lvl 12
    @Bek  I agree with targeting for photorealism. But your gloss map looks passive. Your previous works especially metalic parts also suffer from this although I dig your wood materials. Maybe aim for smaller and sharper surface variation and way less white splodges all over the place. And almost gloss only dust crevices though it wouldn't hurt to exaggrate it in 3d a bit :)
  • Bek
    Offline / Send Message
    Bek interpolator
    Cglewis said:
    There appears to be a steel washer under the dial that is on top of the body of the sight that is in the reference that is not on your model.
    That's only on the gen1, I'm doing the gen2 (You can see the whole cap is different). But that does remind me, I should scale the top dial slightly. The two dials share UV's since they're so similar.

Minor changes to textures; mostly removing a lot of the white splotches and adding on some of the dirt you can see in the refs I linked above. I'll do the weaver rail mount next and get both versions set up in Arma.
  • Bek