Home 2D Art Showcase & Critiques

Material Study

GuanAndOnly
polycounter lvl 6
Offline / Send Message
GuanAndOnly polycounter lvl 6
Hey folks! Not quite sure whether to toss this in the sketchbook section or not, but I'm doing some material studies to up my handpainted texturing skillz. 
First one that I finished recently is a rock study.
Any crits or feedback would be great! 
Hopefully it doesn't look too unrefined at such a large size haha, been painting this pretty zoomed out. 

Replies

• samsantala
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    samsantala polycounter lvl 9
    It looks nicely rendered, but it doesn't seem like an actual sphere. It feels like something that's been cropped to a circular shape.

My suggestions would be to add some grounding to the image, so a floor, shadows, bounce light etc. Add some shading to make it feel more spherical, and paint outside the circle mask you've been using :)

Hope it helps!
  • GuanAndOnly
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Tchuk said:
    It looks nicely rendered, but it doesn't seem like an actual sphere. It feels like something that's been cropped to a circular shape.

My suggestions would be to add some grounding to the image, so a floor, shadows, bounce light etc. Add some shading to make it feel more spherical, and paint outside the circle mask you've been using :)

Hope it helps!
    Oh man, thanks for the critique! I didn't get any feedback from 10k, level up, or brushforge so I was getting worried that I was really off-base haha. 

Your crit makes me feel hella guilty, lol. I originally intended to do a lot more, with some lighting, cleaning up the edges and adding more detail, and breaking the circle (as well as stuff like turning it in grayscale and making sure the texture reads, plus repainting it stylized for games) but I kind of skipped these steps because I got really impatient with the study and wanted some feedback on it before moving on to my next ones.   :s

Definitely going to go back and fix it with your suggestions before moving on to my next studies though, really wanna train myself so I can do some wicked ass handpainted textures in the future. Also huge thanks for mentioning the grounding bit, didn't even consider adding a floor and bounce light and that seems like an amazing idea! c:

Cheers!
  • samsantala
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    samsantala polycounter lvl 9
    Tchuk said:

Hope it helps!
    Oh man, thanks for the critique! I didn't get any feedback from 10k, level up, or brushforge so I was getting worried that I was really off-base haha. 

Your crit makes me feel hella guilty, lol. I originally intended to do a lot more, with some lighting, cleaning up the edges and adding more detail, and breaking the circle (as well as stuff like turning it in grayscale and making sure the texture reads, plus repainting it stylized for games) but I kind of skipped these steps because I got really impatient with the study and wanted some feedback on it before moving on to my next ones.   :s

Definitely going to go back and fix it with your suggestions before moving on to my next studies though, really wanna train myself so I can do some wicked ass handpainted textures in the future. Also huge thanks for mentioning the grounding bit, didn't even consider adding a floor and bounce light and that seems like an amazing idea! c:

Cheers!
    No problem dude, I feel the pain with being impatient and wanting to move on quickly, but I think you learn the most during those last few moments where you're tidying things up and making them really presentable. This has the ability to be something really pretty so keep it up! :)
  • GuanAndOnly
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Tried tweaking it with the crit! 
    Not too sure if I was successful with this, but I'll gladly take any crits to carry on to my next study. c:

• Greg Westphal
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Greg Westphal polycounter lvl 9
    For the next one man I'd take the photo/photos you're trying to reference and then assign yourself some goals.  Can I represent this in line? Can I do it in 2/3/4 tones? Can I represent the texture in less than 10 brush strokes or can I tell it with just the specularity?  There are a ton of different ways to play around with studying texture but its hard to see what you're studying when its just 1 piece and we don't see the reference.
  • GuanAndOnly
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    For the next one man I'd take the photo/photos you're trying to reference and then assign yourself some goals.  Can I represent this in line? Can I do it in 2/3/4 tones? Can I represent the texture in less than 10 brush strokes or can I tell it with just the specularity?  There are a ton of different ways to play around with studying texture but its hard to see what you're studying when its just 1 piece and we don't see the reference.
    Thanks for the suggestions! Glad you wrote this before I started my next one, I think I'm gonna start the next one grayscale to nail the specularity first.
    Here's the ref I used. I colorpicked from it to make it a bit easier for myself since I don't usually paint, but I think I'm going to try and figure out the colors in my next studies on my own. c: