Home 3D Art Showcase & Critiques

[Finished] UE4 Environment (Motel) "Encounter"

triangle
Offline / Send Message
Prylos triangle
Greetings! 

There's something magical about the dreary and haunting animated images that artist Leland Foster creates. I want to capture some of that essence and use it as a backdrop for a narrative. The idea of this environment is a crime in progress at a motel at night time and after it has rained to give the scene some interesting reflective surfaces. Here are some images I'm using for reference and inspiration. 

Here's an early work in progress shot of the police car.

I want to avoid setting the scope too high but I'd like to add the aftermath of a shootout, broken glass, busted in motel door, police car door slightly ajar, bullet holes, etc and rename the piece to "Motel Shootout", perhaps "Aftermath" ? Let's see!

After completion of the car I will be doing a blockout of the environment so stay tuned for further updates. I'd love to hear from you guys, feedback and critiques are greatly appreciated!

Replies

• Prylos
    Offline / Send Message
    Prylos triangle
  • Prylos
    Offline / Send Message
    Prylos triangle

Car Update 2: Textures arriving.

There's still some being added, I'll edit this post as they come.

• Prylos
    Offline / Send Message
    Prylos triangle
    Been a little bit busy lately with other things but I'm making progress. I've created a modular set for the motel and I've started to play around with the blockout and composition. I ended up using the Regal Motel from No Country For Old Men for reference.

This is my first time using Substance Designer to create materials. Here is a sort of "smooth brick". I'm still working on it, the grout's normal needs to be rounder. The wet asphalt is my first substance. I'm going to rework the asphalt last after I've gotten some more experience in Substance Designer because it covers so much of the scene. 

• Macebo
    Offline / Send Message
    Macebo hero character
    Hey man. I really liked your premise. I also liked this setup of a motel + crime scene. You can really tell a story with that.

The model of the car is really good. The only thing that bugs me is that the raindrops currently looks like dirt. Maybe, if you try to use a separate mesh for the drops and separate material, with transparency and low roughness, can help.

Good luck with Substance Designer, i'm in the same process of learning it :)
  • Prylos
    Offline / Send Message
    Prylos triangle
    Thanks! The rain does look a bit rough, looks like something I'll have to fix. Good luck to you too!
  • Prylos
  • RustySpannerz
    Offline / Send Message
    RustySpannerz polycounter lvl 13
    This is looking really good so far! 
  • Macebo
    Offline / Send Message
    Macebo hero character
    It is turning out great, @Prylos!

Can i sugest something? Forgive me if you already have something like this in mind :p
    What about a couple of light poles at the second plane, since i supose that there is a highway leading to the motel, alongside some poles with wires conecting the building to the electricity? You could even add some towers like this pic

as a silhouette, to complement the forest in the background.

Keep up the good work, this looks promising. Don't forget the body bag and lots of blood, empty handgun shells and, of course, some donuts :D
  • Prylos
    Offline / Send Message
    Prylos triangle
         Thanks for the great suggestion. I've had plans to update the background. I am throwing around a few ideas in my head but nothing set in stone. I want the background to be relatively simple compositionally but I really like the idea of the high voltage power lines because they'll add life to the setting. 

On my to do list will be adding evidence of an incident, adjusting the position of the car, and snapping models together precisely to eliminate lighting seams between models.

• Prylos
    Offline / Send Message
    Prylos triangle
    Hey guys, thanks for all the input! It's about time I wrapped this one up. The final is named "Encounter". 

More screenshots available on my ArtStation.
    https://www.artstation.com/artwork/Kk0zo