Home 3D Art Showcase & Critiques

The Bi-Monthly CHARACTER ART Challenge | February - March

Replies

• Sunray
    Offline / Send Message
    Sunray polycounter lvl 7
    finally took the time to start on the gloves I'm working on getting those folds to look nice. I did some small changes and fixes here and there worked a bit more on the face. I also retoped the face and had maya crash on me with auto safe turned off and no save in the progress so that was a lot of fun. For the topology I tried to get the same edge flow as uncharted 4 drake because that topology just looked really sexy lets be honest? haha I'm really trying to push this character so it will probably take another month to finish (hopefully) I was thinking of buying some of texturing xyz cloth displacements has anyone bought them already are they just as good as the skin ones?
    Does anyone know why the upper part of drakes nose has so many polys?

@CLo Hey man, your face is looking pretty good. Although I feel like your brow might be a bit to strong and you don't have enough place above your upper lids for some skin resting between the brow and the upper eye lids. And your nose doesn't really look like it belongs to a white guy more to a black guy. Due the width of it and don't forget to give the ears some love too. 

@VeryCrunchyTaco  Like @Alemja said she looks too skinny in the face and I feel like the neck is a bit too narrow. And your hat is too small that will never stay on her head try to get a better fit. I would also make her arms a bit more skinny she looks too muscular to me. Same goes for the legs but I wouldn't go back to change that since there is going to be a huge dress over them anyway. And the hands seems a bit on the bigger side but I'm not really sure about that one/

• VeryCrunchyTaco
    Offline / Send Message
    VeryCrunchyTaco polycounter lvl 7
    @Alemja and @Sunray Thanks for the crits!  I need to do more lip studies.  Also thinking of slimming her down a bit, so we'll see how it goes after a bit more sculpting!  :) 

• Piemaster
    Offline / Send Message
    Piemaster greentooth
    Coming along really nicely there @Sunray
  • razorbjc
    Offline / Send Message
    razorbjc polycounter lvl 13
    Hello all, i was following this thread for the past 2 weeks but was kind of afraid to actually post my work. This is my first challenge on polycount and I don't know if i will finish with only 10 days left, but i wanted to share and maybe this will put pressure on me to try to make the deadline. I liked the steampunk assassin because it gave me a chance to learn and use Marvelous Designer.

.  This is the absolute first time i've ever used Marvelous Designer so i had to watch a bunch of tutorials to get basic pattern shapes and just focused on getting wrinkles/bunching around the elbows and knees by using tight straps where the belts/gloves/boots would be. Everything is probably too tight, but i was happy enough with the results and sent it into zbrush for further edits.

- Meanwhile in zbrush, i modeled a rough head from a dynameshed sphere. The steampunk assassin reminded me of actor Billy Crudup so i looked at some photos of him and sculpted this

- And this is the work i did this weekend. i retopologized the head with an existing basemesh so i could start sculpting with levels. I also added more details to the clothing. I'll see how far i can get in the next 2 weeks. Any critiques or comments are welcome.

@Sunray I think you've been doing a great job all thread long. I've also used that photo of nathan drake as reference for building a solid basemesh. I bet that mesh in the photo has been divided once in zbrush to be a higher (cinematic) LOD so the real basemesh would be less heavy than that. 
  • Sunray
    Offline / Send Message
    Sunray polycounter lvl 7
    @razorbjc Yeah I think this is the the base divided by one I'm probabbly going to leave mine like this but I will keep it in mind for my next character.
  • GinoSebastianArdelea
    Hi. I m new and late for this contest D:.

But i m gonna give it a try. Im having a bit of trouble because i picked the one that i know its gonna be harder for me. I ve been working in this a few days trying to rush it down and block out everything. But i m really struggling with a few things that maybe someone could give me a piece of advice. 

So before i start doing cleaning work and refining stuff. I need help on what do i do with the scarf or with the cloth thats in her waist . The last one its just that i think i m not getting too well what the shape is. 

Also the face its really giving me a hard time. Would apreciate some c&c there too 

Feel free to comment on major things that i should improve before i start refining .

(Btw i get way better the C&C with paintovers and stuff like that even a red arrow pointing at where something is wrong with a little explanation  more than just the hat is way to tall ( just realized and for something like that yeah i guess doesnt really matter that much)).

(Btw2 i m improving my english too soo feel free to C&C that too).

• Alemja
    Offline / Send Message
    Alemja quad damage
    @GinoSebastianArdelea Don't worry about showing up late, this is not a contest but instead a challenge designed to help people improve their skills. You are also welcome to continue with the model after the deadline, there will just be new concepts by then.
  • Piemaster
    Offline / Send Message
    Piemaster greentooth
    Hey everyone!

So I'm done with the steampunk assassin, as everyone likes to say "it's not how I wanted it" but I am still pleased with the result, well most of it anyway. I had a lot of fun working on this and it taught me a lot, specifically that I need a lot more practice with skin and hair. 

Anyways, hope you like it :)

• aquila
    Offline / Send Message
    aquila polycounter lvl 6
    @Sunray: That looks really nice. The clothing is really well done are they retopologized already?

@Piemaster: Grats on finishing :).

As for me I'm done with retopologizing his body, now Im just finishing up the high-res version of his head. Depending on how much time I got I might have to leave out one of his props. But hopefully not since I really would like to finish everything on this character :).

• Sunray
    Offline / Send Message
    Sunray polycounter lvl 7
    @Piemaster Hey looks nice man altough I think your skin and hair could use some more work it kinda looks like plastic at the moment.
    @aquila No unfortunately not yet haha also if i wereyou i'd close the eyes a bit I think it's going to look really creepy in the render otherwise haha.

As far asmy character is going I'm kinda stuck witht the whole eye patch thing I feel like it still looks kinda odd. Still need to spend more time on it since it's really going to break the character if the face doesn't look right. I aslo redid the hair block in I feel like it's a lot better than before. And Imade the basemesh of the watch. 

Also does anyone feel like the lower part the legs and boots feel to empty? And if yes any idea for what I could add to it. And I finnaly got around giving quick pipe a try It's awesome you can get it over here if your on maya https://gumroad.com/l/QPipe1a

And the best thing that happened to me while working on the character is that my laptop fan is breaking. It keeps making a rattling sound I hope I can finish the one before my laptop explodes.

@GinoSebastianArdelea Hey man I tried to do a quick paintover in photoshop my paintover skills are terrible but I think it will still help you 
    Keep an eye on the eyes (I'm so sorry I coudn't help my self. They are a bit to small and the upper eye lid is really far down there. Also take notice of how the upper eye lid is further out than the one below it. Same goes for the lips. Don't be afraid to give her a bigger nose it's really thin now. The cheecks are a bit too pronounced I wouldmove the jaw a bit down. And I see what you did there you skipped on the ears. Make sure to give them some love too put some reference besideit and really look how an ear is constructed. Hope this helps a bit.
  • Alemja
    Offline / Send Message
    Alemja quad damage
    @Piemaster I think you can take your textures a little bit further, especially your skin. There is not a whole lot of wear or history on your textures, making them feel rather flat. For skin I highly recommend Magdalena Dadela's talk from GDC:
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9ywhVkZBtq8

You can also check out her substance and marmoset files on Gumroad for free https://gumroad.com/intervain#
  • Piemaster
    Offline / Send Message
    Piemaster greentooth
    Thanks @Alemja :) I will look into her stuff :)
  • aquila
    Offline / Send Message
    aquila polycounter lvl 6
    @Alemja: Thanks. My new go to video when I want to texture skin :).

Anyways, I'm done unwrapping and also more or less done with the head. It will be used as a base texture which I will refine with Substance Painter. I'm gonna put the stuff in the video into practice :). Question about his coat is it ok to leave it as a "plane" or do you usually extrude the faces to give it some thickness?

• Bostvic
    Offline / Send Message
    Bostvic polycounter lvl 5
    @Piemaster Great to see a finished project! Love that clothing, really good. Like others have said, maybe work on that hair/skin texture? Less gloss would sort out 90% of the problems with it.
    @aquila I would give them thickness, if simply so you can have a different texture on the reverse side (even if that texture is just black) Might also make baking a bit easier.

So it is all done, from start to finish it took me three or so weeks. This was the first time I had ever retopologised or baked anything with xnormal, so I'm pretty happy with the result, although I think I could do WAY better next time (particularly on those calves). Shame I could get my little animation to export but I'm just happy to get the damn thing finished now.  :)  Will post up unity screenshots tomorrow if possible.

model
  • Alemja
    Offline / Send Message
    Alemja quad damage
    @Bostvic For the first time you've ever baked something, it doesn't look that bad! Next time it would be awesome for you to share progress so other people could give you feedback, it is an important component of the Bi-Monthly Challenge, we want to help people grow :)
    There are definitely areas you could focus on if you decide to do the next challenge, like material definition and textures in general.
  • razorbjc
    Offline / Send Message
    hey so here is the latest progress on my hi res sculpt. i'm already in the middle of building a low res mesh but i honestly don't see myself finishing in time. I'm happy i at least tried though and i learned a TON about zbrush and marvelous designer so i'm more than satisfied with this challenge. I'll probably continue to finish this and post the final renders whenever i'm done. i feel very prepared for next month's challenge and also the artstation challenge which i may start soon.

@aquila I'm planning to give my coattails thickness but probably end the under-side polygons up where the belt is. Pretty much everything else on this model could use single sided geometry. Since your model looks like it can afford more polygons, you should consider adding thickness (or at least side edges) to the bandoleer and belt. That would allow those things to catch some light.

• aquila
    Offline / Send Message
    aquila polycounter lvl 6
    This is as far as I can come before the official deadline. He's around 85% done. I wanted to invest more time into his face and also add more minor details. I'm not quite happy with some areas of his pants and I want to  create his gadgets too. How long can we post here past the deadline? 

@Bostvic Thanks I realized that too once I noticed his jacket had an "inside" :). So I went ahead and gave it some thickness. Grats on finishing but as feedback first thing coming to my mind is that he could use a little bit more dirt or rust. 

• Alemja
    Offline / Send Message
    Alemja quad damage
    @aquila you are more than welcome to continue working on your model and even post in this thread if you want. Some people have branched off into their own threads. I highly encourage you guys to keep working and finish your models past the deadline, some of you guys are so close to finishing!
  • Alemja
  • Sunray
    Offline / Send Message
    Sunray polycounter lvl 7
    Final post here I finished the high poly now working on the lp I've got 50% done here it is.
    (forgot to up the sdiv of the glove)
  • razorbjc
    Offline / Send Message
    So i kept at it and completed the challenge. This character is made with 43,000 tris with 2k texture maps (albedo, normal, roughness, metal, ao).  This probably won't be going into my portfolio but i'm looking forward to seeing how my characters will look moving forward.
    Any comments, critiques or suggestions are welcome!

• Alemja
    Offline / Send Message
    Alemja quad damage
    @razorbjc Congrats on finishing! One thing I would pay more attention to next time is material definition and adding history to your materials, everything is very clean right now. Some things aren't reading correctly, like the jacket is too light and looks like cloth when it's more leathery in the concept. Adding wear and tear in the appropriate places can really help sell the believably of the materials, like on edges or mud on the bottom of boots and subtle fading where sun hits fabrics. I would also say that some of your fabric details are too large, especially on the pants and hat.

I hope this is helpful!