Home 3D Art Showcase & Critiques

Classic Mini Cooper WIP

polycounter lvl 3
Offline / Send Message
KurtPoly polycounter lvl 3
Most recent:

Hey everyone.

I lack the skill of hard-surface modelling and right now modelling a mini would be great practise.

I'll be posting my progress regularly so any help with the topology and such would be bloody great help. 

Right now, I'm working with SubD. Also, I'm starting off flat and then I'll be moving it to its position.

Replies

• KurtPoly
    Offline / Send Message
    Coming along !

• KurtPoly
    Offline / Send Message
    Slow process. Been watching Walking dead. Done for tonight

• Kroma!
    Offline / Send Message
    Kroma! polycounter lvl 9
    Where you've got two edges leading into a vert on the wheel arches, your smoothing will have artefacts once you add panel thickness. Try to keep a strip of edges to follow the flow of the curve and move the pole inwards. Have a look at some wireframes of other sub-d cars. Hope this makes sense and helps. Looking forward to your progress on this, I love the classic Mini!

• KurtPoly
    Offline / Send Message
    @Kroma!
    Ahh I should of realised that mistake. Thanks for that :) it does make sense. Cheers K, much appreciated.

@JoshuaC
    Duly noted thanks Josh :) Learning as i go.

Anymore help would be great, even the little of things. 

• .Wiki
    Offline / Send Message
    .Wiki polycounter lvl 8
    I would suggest you to not split the different parts of the car body in such a early stage.

Model the car body as a rough continuous mesh and then subdivide it once to get a smooth base. This base will have nice transitions between the different parts of the body, otherwise there would be discontinuities in the specular reflections. After that you can cut in your seams and split the body-parts :).
  • KurtPoly
    Offline / Send Message
    @.Wiki I started again and made sure everything is connected :) 

• KurtPoly
    Offline / Send Message
    Today progress

• sacboi
    Offline / Send Message
    sacboi high dynamic range

I was wondering before suggesting some additional advice on optimising your project, is how far will you develop this automotive polygonal model? For example are you thinking about adding reflective materials or is this solely a modelling exercise?

• Jakro
    Offline / Send Message
    Jakro greentooth
    @sacboi I've spoken to Kurt outside of polycount and he said that he'll be fully texturing it and lighting in simple scene. I think he's aiming for a very damaged look. So advise away! :smiley:

• KurtPoly
    Offline / Send Message
    @sacboi  Hi Sac,

Like Jakro said. I'll be fully texturing and lighting the car. There will be two end results - a new look, and then a damaged look. 
  • KurtPoly
    Offline / Send Message
    This is how it's looking so far. Ill add more images later today.

• KurtPoly
  • sacboi
    Offline / Send Message

Hi there:

Sorry for the delayed reply, busy with work :)

Now taking a peek at your progress thus far, even though you'd followed the advice offered above there still seems to be a number of topology issues in the base mesh that'll need to be addressed before moving on to the latter phases of the DCC pipeline and if I understand correctly the intention is to render a 'new' high res studio version alongside a 'damaged' I'm guessing weathered fully textured model.

I'll strongly suggest further editing slightly to bring it up to speed. Now for ease of following my critique I've made a copy of the object illustrating a personalised workflow that might be useful. It's a bit rough-'n-ready but will serve as quick 'tutorial' example via the following image attachments plus keep in mind just one of many techniques covering hardsurface modelling, so please take on board whatever info is specific to your needs.

First of all once the orthographic references are setup correctly, I'll then roughly sketch the main regions of the body work, paying particular attention too vertex spacing, reason being automotive subjects are typically surfaced with reflective materials through minimising shading errors by generating an even edge flow design is pretty crucial for a quality result. Note the only curved area's included at this stage are the front light cluster, radiator grill and wheel arches since these regions align along the relevant axis, whereas the rear break/indicator lights and fuel openings are diagonally off centre.

I implemented an 'Object Intersection' add-on a user of my preferred app authored to accurately place those objects, though that said the same process can be achieved by a Shrinkwrap modifier. One handy tip for checking consistency of a given geometry, are HDR/DDS Flow Check Reflection Maps or carpaint Matcap's (Material Capture) very helpful diagnostic tools for picking up distortion artefacts.

https://www.ebalstudios.com/blog/3d-modeling-artifacts-flow-check-reflection-map

http://www.vraymaterials.co.uk/products/vray-materials/automotive/

Put simply a material/texture packed with it's own lighting and reflective data, which does away with additional work of manually building lighting or reflective FX in your scene, so because it's also mapped to the object's normals (plus Material settings Shadeless is enabled) regardless of where the camera is moved the material's reflections will also move, effectively imitating real world characteristics if that makes any sense :)

Anyway browse those attached images, as I mentioned pick what you want from them and if needs be you're also quite welcome to the source file as well,  just PM me and I'll throw up a link. Goodluck with it - happy modelling.

Cheers. 

• KurtPoly
    Offline / Send Message
    @sacboi
     Hey Sacboi, no problem. Appreciate the help, seriously.

I have two major problems that I keep getting wrong and that is:
    1. Topology
    2. Geometry 

I have the references Front, Top & Side but they're not 100% align which frustrates me a lot, how do you do it? lol

Your images will help tremendously but can you give me some advice on how to properly start modelling a vehicle? What's your process ?

Sorry for the questions, its just I'd like to understand everything about modelling this Mini so i can use it for other modelling purposes.

I'm going to start from the beginning again. I'll post images later tonight
  • KurtPoly
    Offline / Send Message
    I don't have much progress to post but I'm going to try and get the shell finished today. It's getting a lot easier now, just a matter of practise 
  • KurtPoly
    Offline / Send Message
    Mini so far :) bottom image, i was just testing it out to see if it looked right

• sacboi
    Offline / Send Message

Hi:

Nice progress! there's certainly a marked improvement, the topology is really sound, keep it up.

KurtPoly said:                       

I have two major problems that I keep getting wrong and that is:
    1. Topology
    2. Geometry 

I have the references Front, Top & Side but they're not 100% align which frustrates me a lot, how do you do it? lol

Your images will help tremendously but can you give me some advice on how to properly start modelling a vehicle? What's your process ?

Sorry for the questions, its just I'd like to understand everything about modelling this Mini so i can use it for other modelling purposes.

Sure no worries glad to help, a few additional insights.

Reference Preparation:
    Is a matter of individual preference but in saying that, at times differ slightly in terms of production standard. For example a client side job, where OEM output will be a key criteria. Oh...and for the record my background is self taught over a number of years, primarily as a hardsurface modeller dabbling a little in game dev (merely beer money gigs at mates-rates :) ) that is when time permits of course. My day job is as far removed one can get from the CGI spectrum, so basically you'd call me a hobbyist type dude :D 

Anyhow once I've settled on an initial concept, I'll hunt around for suitable ortho references either bitmap (.png, jpg, tiff) or vector drawn .svg (Scalable Vector Graphics) but usually a high res'd jpg will do, mostly sourced from Blueprints.com image library.

(the ref I modelled off, at 1008 pixels/width by 623 pixels/height)
    https://www.the-blueprints.com/blueprints/cars/austin/52658/view/austin_mini_cooper_s_%281964%29/

Briefly the difference between the two file formats aside from an accurate silhouette is scalability (re-sizing). A bitmap or raster image is made up of a fixed array of pixels that directly correspond to the number of bits per pixel drawn on screen. If I were to scale the above ref to a higher value it'll begin to loose resolution. Whereas conversely a svg formatted vector drawing, generated from solid shapes (curves & surfaces) will retain it's 'picture quality' irrespective of increased size. Furthermore another handy feature, is that you're able to edit line thickness, colour and appearance on the fly but here's the thing vectors typically cost *money*, hence my bias towards raster pic's for personal stuff.

Next checking for errors, whether skewing/distortion or offset alignment mainly caused by scanning, I'd seldom bother to resolve since after a ton of practice you eventually build an apptitude for eyeballing details by freehand. Though that being said if on the other hand I'm loath to search for another more usable ref set I'll fire up GIMP too correct any issues that might've cropped up. The following walkthroughs describe two methods of approach.

Simple straight forward GIMP tutorial. starts at 4:58min into the vid:
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SSedXO00H1c

An in-depth process focused on ultrahigh precision:
    https://blenderartists.org/forum/showthread.php?370606-SBD-Dauntless-(US-Navy-dive-bomber)&highlight=douglas+dauntless

So duly validating my 'blueprint' and finding all's good I simply add guidlines to aid setup in app, shown via the attached GIMP workspace screencap. 

Anyways it's great to know 'How' something is done however more importantly the reasoning 'Why' to begin with.

Cheers.

EDIT:

Heh...my comment was beginning to look like another text wall, so I'll post a followup reply detailing my modeling workflow tomorrow.

• KurtPoly
    Offline / Send Message
    @sacboi
    Thank you so much for putting the time in to help me :) This is quality help

Here's where I'm at now. I haven't added in the edge loops to tighten the corners yet. The high poly is just a smooth preview to see any smoothing errors

• sacboi
    Offline / Send Message

Hi:

Looking good  

Though a couple of minor points I missed on the previous update, I've highlighted by modding your workflow images:

Fig 1

Just a little unevenness in the mesh, result slight shading artefacts caused by misplaced quads and triangles. Don't get me wrong triangles and vertex poles (an ngon...or a 5 edged face) especially are by no means 'bad' for modelling something in 3D, there's really no rule of thumb. So yeah whatever it takes basically, however just needs a bit of practise when or how too efficiently utilise them.     

Fig 2

Applying a face loop overlay of a suggested topo reedited fix without the addition of to many extra polys.

FIg 3

Subdividing the quads plus inserting a face loop relocating the tri's should resolve the problem.

By the way I'm wondering if you'd read those linked articles on reflection flow maps or carpaint shaders, implementing their usage in automotive polygonal modelling workflows?

Cheers

• KurtPoly
    Offline / Send Message
    Hey @sacboi

I've sorted out the Tris except for the one which doesn't seem likes a problem when smoothed. And I have read the articles you sent me which was great help and bookmarked :D Feeling more confident in my topology workflow - Feel like I've come a long way especially before starting this project as I had no experience in hardsurface at all, so thank you for your time :)  I haven't applied the flow map yet though. Still a long way to go :) Here's what I've got so far

• KurtPoly
    Offline / Send Message
    Test render. Still adding parts to it :)

• sacboi
    Offline / Send Message

Shweet! - looks like you're getting on top of this automotive modelling caper pretty damn FAST, if you ask me :D

Hmm...although might be a little nit picking crit, but the tyres seem to be a tad too 'rounded' specifically I'm noticing where the tyre's tread contact patch meets the scene's flat surface or maybe it's only due to the camera's focal length throwing a bit of distortion into the frame or something...

Very nicely done all the same.

Cheers.

• KurtPoly
    Offline / Send Message
    @sacboi

That's what I like to hear :D Couldn't of done it without your help so thank you for that :)

Totally agree with the tyres, doesn't show the weight of the car as it looks like it's floating. I'll be fixing that :) 

• KurtPoly
    Offline / Send Message
    Still in the process of modelling parts. Just experimenting with how I'm going to set my scene. Still long way to go :)

I haven't added any thickness to the side windows that's why there's no reflection on them.

• KurtPoly
    Offline / Send Message
    Model will be finished tomorrow, then onto unwrapping/texturing :) 

• kazmin
    Offline / Send Message
    kazmin polycounter lvl 10
    Very nice! I like it!
  • KurtPoly
    Offline / Send Message
  • RustySpannerz
    Offline / Send Message
    RustySpannerz polycounter lvl 13
    Looks amazing, I know if I tried modelling a car there'd be shading errors all over the place! 

One thing to note, the classic mini had seams like this going along the corners.
    But a lot of people removed them because of how ugly they are (but I like them), so you're not wrong in not having them. I just thought I'd point it out, my brother and dad are restoring a classic mini just now. 
  • KurtPoly
    Offline / Send Message
    @RustySpannerz Hey Rusty :)

Yeah I had the exact same problem with my Mini. Kept getting the topology wrong, but I kept starting the whole thing over and over again - It was frustrating but every time I started again, I was improving :) I never thought I could model a vehicle because of their complexity but just go for it. You'll definitely become a better artist in the end no matter the outcome of the model :)

After days staring at the classic mini I began to love them. aesthetically, they're beautiful. Good luck on your real life model :D 

Also I did model the seams, I still had a few parts that needed modelling :)

• KurtPoly
    Offline / Send Message
    Testing out the normal map on the wheel

• KurtPoly
    Offline / Send Message
  • sacboi
    Offline / Send Message

Amazing work Kurt!

I'm looking forward to seeing this model completely textured, if these recent tests are anything to go by :) And I was going to finish off posting my modeling workflow you'd requested earlier but nah...to be honest you really don't need them, continue what you're doing, practise when you can plus as far as I'm concerned you are well on the way to being a proficient 3D hardsurface modeller.

Cheers.   

• KurtPoly
    Offline / Send Message
    Cheers @sacboi

Yeah I've definitely learnt a lot modelling the Mini Cooper. I'm glad I posted it on Polycount otherwise I'd probably still be trying to model the shell lol You've been great help
  • KurtPoly
    Offline / Send Message
    What you guys think about the colour ? Yah or Nah ?

• KurtPoly
    Offline / Send Message
  • sacboi
    Offline / Send Message
    Yup the red livery does it for me. It's a well known fact using that colour makes the vehicle look faster and more importantly cooler, especially with the addition of a racing stripe :D 
  • Jakro
    Offline / Send Message
    Jakro greentooth
    This is looking really good so far! I would suggest filling the frame a little more so that the vehicle is higher resolution. I also think that the ground reflection is a little too distracting right now, it would be nice if it was more blurry or just not there in my opinion. Lighting could be worked on, I would suggest looking into how other people light their cars, try to learn from a few of the masters! :P
  • KurtPoly
    Offline / Send Message
    Final render of my Mini Cooper. 

More images: https://www.artstation.com/artwork/4e4Xl

Appreciate all the help guys  B) 

• sacboi
    Offline / Send Message

Wow!! just too fine :D

Now I'm looking forward to seeing this beauty 'roughed' up a bit...?! 

KurtPoly said:

@sacboi  Hi Sac,

Like Jakro said. I'll be fully texturing and lighting the car. There will be two end results - a new look, and then a damaged look.

• Elithenia
    Offline / Send Message
    Elithenia polycounter
    This is looking great! :)
  • KurtPoly
    Offline / Send Message
    @Elithenia
     Thank you :)

@sacboi
    Cheers Saboi, you were great help :) As I'm graduating very soon, I might need to postpone my project :( 
  • sacboi
    Offline / Send Message

Your very welcome was a pleasure seeing this project plus skillset develop and best of luck with the future :)

Hope to see you back here sometime.

Cheers.

Sac'y

• SteveHarlow
    Offline / Send Message
    SteveHarlow polycounter lvl 7
    Lookin' good.

I'd add just the smallest hint of orange peel to the paint though. Kinda feels unnaturally smooth as it is
  • AzzySky
    Offline / Send Message
    AzzySky polycounter lvl 4