Home General Discussion

Mass Effect Andromeda

interpolator
Offline / Send Message
fdfxd2 interpolator
Anyone else excited?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=t1hBNALUk4w

Yeah... 
remember that thread I made two days back? About graphics hindering gameplay?

People in the comment section seem to believe that because the game looks good the story and gameplay will be diminished...

I don't.. know why I keep reading the comments..

Replies

• PyrZern
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    PyrZern polycounter lvl 12
    I only care about 2-3 things when it comes to Mass Effect.

1. Good combat. Ability combo, tactical commands, cover systems, nice gun-play (had a hard time in FO4). 

2. Good squad-play. Teammate synergy, nice squad customization/abilities/armors, and interesting companions.

3. Don't make me grind for resources/drilling or anything similar !!!

4. That's it !! I don't even care about the story... 
  • RyanB
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    When you see a Ferrari do you think "Damn, that car must be slow.  They spent so much money on the paint and the body!  They probably ignored the rest of it and it must run like crap"?
  • fdfxd2
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    fdfxd2 interpolator
    PyrZern said:

1. Good combat. Ability combo, tactical commands, cover systems, nice gun-play (had a hard time in FO4). 

2. Good squad-play. Teammate synergy, nice squad customization/abilities/armors, and interesting companions.

Polar opposite for me

I  don't care about the gameplay of Mass effect, I care about the story and the nice hard sci fi visuals(Doesn't mean that good gameplay doesn't help, the weapon variation in ME3 was great!)
  • ZacD
    Options
    Online / Send Message
    ZacD ngon master
    Ugh, I hate this 4k push, I would rather watch gameplay in 1080p60 over 4k30. The focus on 4k feels more like following Sony's narrative in order to sell more PS4 Pros, HDR 4k TVs, and 4k Bluray. Still don't understand the need for 4k in the living room unless you have a 80in+ TV and there's still the lack of 4k content to watch. I do appreciate the push for HDR. 

FYI, watching a 4k video on Youtube even on a 1080p monitor will look better than watching it at 1080p due to compression. 

But back to the demo, looks pretty good. Can't wait to play another Mass Effect game. It'll be interesting to see PC vs PS4 comparisons at 4k. Not really much information in terms of gameplay. I'm still curious how Sony is going to deal with PS4 vs PS4 Pro on a 1080p tv vs PS4 Pro on a 4k tv. Looking forward to those comparisons. 
  • JedTheKrampus
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    JedTheKrampus polycounter lvl 8
    > pre-alpha gameplay

That's not what my pre-alphas look like...

Besides that, if it has a silly waste-of-time planet scanning/flower gathering mechanic I'll probably wait to buy it until there's a good save editor. Looks like it could be good though.
  • Jerc
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Jerc interpolator
    ZacD said:
    Ugh, I hate this 4k push, I would rather watch gameplay in 1080p60 over 4k30.
    I'm in the same boat. 4k catters to a ridiculously small percentage of players while 1080p60 would be a win for everyone, and it would be 100x easier to sell and demonstrate.
  • RyanB
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Jerc said:
    ZacD said:
    Ugh, I hate this 4k push, I would rather watch gameplay in 1080p60 over 4k30.
    I'm in the same boat. 4k catters to a ridiculously small percentage of players while 1080p60 would be a win for everyone, and it would be 100x easier to sell and demonstrate.
    But 4k means making bigger textures which will take longer to make which means more work for all of us!  *$$$ ka-ching! $$$*

Or using procedural textures like I did 20 years ago using POV-ray!  *$$$ ka-ching! ka-ching! $$$*

• Ryusaki
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Ryusaki greentooth
    Come on guys, forget the $k marketing and look at the bright side of it. If it runs good in that resolution on that machine it will run even better on our Machines.

I have a kind of Love/hate relationship with Mass Effect and Bioware. I played through the first 2 games multiple times, as male- and femshep, both Paragorn and Renegade, i loved every minute of it.
    Then came Mass Effect 3 and i played through it once.
    Then i took some time to study, analyze and dissect it so that i could understand why it failed so spectacular for me.
    Then i uninstalled all ME games, gave them away, stopped talking and thinking about them. Never touched a Bioware game since then.
    The flame of raging disappointment is still burning somewhere deep inside me.
    But this one looks promising. Very futuristic and alien, very epic in scope.
    It seems to me that the frostbite engine enables the artist to really go for their artistic vision rather than fighting engine limitations.
    Everything i've seen from the new Mass Effect gives me hope (not hype) that they will deliver something interesting.

• WiktorWasowski
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    WiktorWasowski polycounter lvl 3
    As a Mass Effect fan, my biggest concern about what I saw on this footage (and the trailers as well) is that they seem to go for a style that looks more like fantasy in space, than a rather hard sci-fi that the original trilogy was. The thing is, visual style reflects how the universe is designed and how the story is written, hence my worries. There is no doubt story (mainly background story, to be specific) is the most important thing in the trilogy. The history of all the races, their struggles and how did the events presented in the game and the books affected them. Much of these kinds of things had to be designed from scratch now because we only carry some legacy of Milky Way (the people in arks). I really wound't like to see science of all this new stuff being lost to mere unexplained magics. I still hope Bioware won't disappoint in quality of the writing, but I'm a bit skeptical on this, since the development team has changed since the old times.
  • sziada
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    sziada polycounter lvl 11
    I am worried, I am a big fan of this series, but their reluctant to show anything. I just don't get why we haven't seen more of this game already, its due for next year. I would of even prefer if they did a fallout 4 and announce it 6 months before its due to release and show some decent gameplay and give us a good idea of the overall story and setting.
  • Darth Tomi
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Darth Tomi polycounter lvl 12
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Rn98FdSg-Fo

When Shepard says "signing off" I just about cried.
  • GrevSev
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    GrevSev polycounter lvl 9
     CODEX UPDATE INCOMING 
  • ZacD
    Options
    Online / Send Message
    ZacD ngon master
    JoshuaG said:
    PyrZern said:

5. Banging alien chicks.

6. Banging alien dudes.
  • PyrZern
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    PyrZern polycounter lvl 12
    ZacD said:
    JoshuaG said:
    PyrZern said:

5. Banging alien chicks.

6. Banging alien dudes.

7. Banging alien androids/cyborgs.

When Shepard says "signing off" I just about cried.
    Same. But then again, "space travel and leaving everything behind" theme is my soft spot.
    *Looking at you; Civ: Beyond Earth teaser vid.*

• Lucas Annunziata
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Lucas Annunziata polycounter lvl 13
    The environment they're showing off here seems to be very inspired by the later halo games and destiny. This isn't a bad thing, but I certainly hope it is just a small section of the different biomes and shape language they'll be using throughout the game. Might also just be rose colored glasses, but it definitely appears much more visually busy with the amount of wear and tear on the textures and all them grunge decals compared to me3.

• Equanim
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Equanim polycounter lvl 11
    The environment they're showing off here seems to be very inspired by the later halo games and destiny. This isn't a bad thing, but I certainly hope it is just a small section of the different biomes and shape language they'll be using throughout the game. Might also just be rose colored glasses, but it definitely appears much more visually busy with the amount of wear and tear on the textures and all them grunge decals compared to me3.

My thoughts exactly.  The mention of a series of "vaults" displayed on a holographic interstellar map was also right out of Borderlands 2.  Two of Mass Effect's biggest strengths are how fleshed out the universe is and that everything fits in for a reason.  Nothing feels like it's there strictly to drive the story forward.

I'd hate to see them lose that by overtly grabbing what everyone else has already done.
  • Justin Meisse
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Justin Meisse polycounter lvl 18
    I like Mass Effect enough to make fan-music.  I'm ready for a new one.

• notman
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    notman polycounter lvl 18
    So, this one is out now... anyone pick it up? It's my first Mass Effect game (somehow I managed to miss out on all the previous iterations). I've barely gotten into the game, so no real impressions yet. Nothing has particularly impressed me yet, but I'm also coming off playing Horizon Zero Dawn, which set a pretty high standard. 

I can say that I was a bit disappointed that I couldn't make my character look more alien. I guess it's intentional, to keep my character human, but it felt like there were a lot of non-human features available too. I hope there is a way to modify my appearance, but I don't recall seeing that as an option. My color choices seemed to be a bit brighter/stronger than they were on the creator, so my character ended up looking like Dennis Rodman, rather than the alien look I was going for.

As for the great animation debate, sure, they could/should have been better, but it doesn't make or break a game for me. Definitely not enough to cancel/return my order. I can understand, if gamers feel it's a sign of the rest of the game's quality, but there are already plenty of videos providing gameplay... base your opinions on that.

Thoughts?
  • Kwramm
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Kwramm interpolator
    visuals are quite nice and it runs okay on my old dell workstation on a 980 gtx. The one thing that keeps worrying me is if there will be MMO-esque grind and tons of boring "run around and fetch me a toothpick!" quests... I hope not
  • Lt_Commander
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Lt_Commander polycounter lvl 10
    I pre-ordered it a few days before all the animation issues started cropping up.

It feels the most like the first Mass Effect, for better and for worse. There's a nice sense of wonder that the first one mastered, but has a lot of jank the first one had, like they passed over the sequels when talking about lessons learned. The facial animation in particular is rough, enough to take away from the cinematics, which is a shame. 

It runs smooth at 4k on my i7/gtx 1080 on high to ultra. Overall, I'm enjoying it so far, but I wouldn't call it the best in the series.

Also somebody high up really liked how screen space reflections look because everything is shiny and reflective.
  • notman
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    It's funny, because state of animation does not change my opinion of buying a game, but I have to admit, the lack of emotion, on these faces, really detracts from key moments. I do wonder if I would have noticed, if the internet had not brought it to my attention, but the human characters just feel dead. The alien characters seem so much better to me.

I also laugh, every time I see my character run, because he remains perfectly vertical, as he runs, which almost looks as though he's taking a dump, while running.

My friend, who loves this series, claims to not have noticed anything wrong with the animation. I'm not sure if he's trying to defend the game, or seriously doesn't notice, because it feels very obvious to me (again, maybe the internet brought it to my attention).

I can't say much about the game still... I got on last night, and basically did a bunch of stuff in the Nexus. I finally landed on a planet, just before getting off for the night. I can say I'm not a fan of the button arrangement, and menu navigation. Just feels a bit clunky to me. I'm not sure if this is a typical bioware arrangement, but I really liked how Horizon had the 'take all' option set to the same button you used to open/investigate an item.

I need to get some undisturbed time, with this game, so I can get focused. Both nights have been spent with people in my party, talking about the game's animations, and comparisons to previous versions. 
  • slipsius
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    slipsius mod
  • Kwramm
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Kwramm interpolator
    The animation hasn't bothered me that much. Although, due to all the press I;m focusing much more on it. Self fulfilling prophecy?
  • Matt Fagan
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Matt Fagan polycounter lvl 10
    I'm not criticizing the game, or the developers. But this gave me a good laugh :D

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6MEKM2amQ2E

• Blaizer
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Blaizer interpolator
    That video is actually a huge critic and a joke  ^.^

I will not be hypocrite, I still don't understand what happened here. 10 years later, and this is the next gen Mass Effect?. How could they sell a game in this state? where did the good/senior artists go? It feels like Bioware trolled us hard. I've watched 2016 footage and it's not like this.

At least they have made history.

• TheMadArtist
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    TheMadArtist polycounter lvl 12
    notman said:

"I also laugh, every time I see my character run, because he remains perfectly vertical, as he runs, which almost looks as though he's taking a dump, while running."

Oh yeah, I noticed that immediately running around the Nexus, seems to only be when you are in casual clothes, but it made me laugh.

I'm actually really enjoying it, although I need to hold off on playing anymore until I wrap up Zelda. The animations haven't been a big deal with me, and I doubt I would've even thought much about them if such a hassle hadn't been made over them. They aren't on par with some other games, sure, but they don't break anything, at least not in my eyes. The environments are amazing so far, and most importantly the game feels like Mass Effect for me. It's fun being back in that world, and the game almost has more of a Star Trek feel than ever before. 

• Biomag
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Biomag sublime tool
    I loved the triology, but I am not getting warm with this one. You can sense the time pressure they must have been working on this in everything. Facial animations don't look that bad to me since I started playing it yesterday, but there are tons of glitches (and I normally ignore them), sound bugs, gaps in cutscenes, odd rigging and skinning, very small customization options,... not to mention that most of the textures don't really look improved compared to ME3 (hair looks as bad as in DA Inquisition). Overall you just get the feeling they could do better but didn't have the time.

Actually I also have to say it doesn't feel like ME to me. Far less story, too much running around in the middst of nowhere 'scanning'... Exploration is feeled like in DA Inquisition just with meaningless collectibles. Take Inquisition and combine it with the planet scanning from ME2 & 3 and spice it with hazardous environment that harms you over time. The new tank is a pain to drive so far. Basically many of the annoying things from ME 1-3 'exploration' have been turned into 'features' being more prominent while not improved - at least for my taste.

To me making a sequal to that triology seemed like a huge enterprise and it might have been too big for the team. I don't blame them and I am not disappointed since it was a huge undertaking that has to be respected. Not knowing the old games I might even say it is a good/solid game, but it isn't on the level of the old ones. I remember watching a friend play ME 1 on his console and just from the 1st intro cutscene on I was pumped and had to get the game - couple of hours into the new one and I am not even sure I could bring myself to finish it, feeling no connection to anything introduced so far.

...and I can't take that Andromeda logo seriously...
  • lefix
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    lefix polycounter lvl 11
    Disappointed it isn't really AAA quality visually, but I am still enjoying it. I like the story and the characters so far.
  • SpaceRogue
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    SpaceRogue polycounter lvl 3
    I was exited about ME;A but ... I'll either wait till its on a big sale and properly patched up, or simply pass up on this one.  
  • Ryusaki
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Ryusaki greentooth
    All my worst fears became truth. So EA did NOT intend to make a masterpiece, they settled for "good enough".
    Sorry, but that is NOT GOOD ENOUGH for me.

The amount of wasted potential will trigger me into an emotional rage, so i stay far far away from it.

I rarely play games these days anyways, Mass Effect could have been a nice little escapist holiday, but seems like i have to wait until Star Citizen drops.

• Joao Sapiro
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Joao Sapiro sublime tool
    Ryusaki said:
    All my worst fears became truth. So EA did NOT intend to make a masterpiece, they settled for "good enough".
    Sorry, but that is NOT GOOD ENOUGH for me.

The amount of wasted potential will trigger me into an emotional rage, so i stay far far away from it.

I rarely play games these days anyways, Mass Effect could have been a nice little escapist holiday, but seems like i have to wait until Star Citizen drops.

its just a game. chill.
  • R3D
  • Spoon
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Spoon polycounter lvl 11
    I bought and played the game yesterday, and i'm positively surprised.
    I'm not that far in yet, but to me is seems like a great game.
    I have seen no bugs, no weird animation, or anything else people make fun of.
    Look very solid to me. And the environments are more beautiful than what I have seen in another big game recently released that is praised for the environments.

• Biomag
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Biomag sublime tool
    Honestly I've not seen a game with as many bugs as this one... I didn't had any crashes so far or major break downs (except a corrupted autosave and broken waypoints on a story quest), but minor and annoying things (besides the crazy amount of glitches I've been killed as I was talking to people and enemies came up to me and kept attacking while I couldn't end the conversation, I teleported to different rooms of the ship while talking to squad members, and many other things,...).

The other things that really bother me are the tons of filler quests (go scan this, then this, then this,... or just collect this and that - all the horrible habits from Dragon Age Inquisition are back). No customization what so ever for companions - no armors, no weapons - nothing except for skills. No companion commands besides 'go there' in fights (could be a controller thing tough, since I play on PC using controller). 99% of the time I can just select if I am 'loosly nice' to people or 'formally nice' - you can't be anything else than an Enterprise captain Picard would have been proud of (and probably bored of).

Overall just not AAA level and a huge step back from the old series. Many things come with the switch in engine, but honestly a lot of the issues could have been avoided and a lot of things could have been cut in favor of more polishing of the core elements.
  • ZombieWells
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    ZombieWells polycounter lvl 12
    That video above is pretty much spot on, I have personally run into a lot of those issues, (xbox one). I had half my ship disappear and fell  into space. The saves are a nightmare, as it will put you in "combat mode" and wont let you out even if there are no enemies. example: 20 mins of play through only to be killed and having to restart at the beginning of the map- this wasted 3 hours of my time. Also after clearing the level I went back to the start of the map where enemies would infinitely spawn. I had to fast travel out :p People just warp in and out of their spaces, and will fly threw your ship. Load times can be very long. Look at the inventory objects; "spin" was never ment to be a thing... you can see all the black caps in the armor. All the other things being said are pretty true and will totally knock you out of immersion/story line which so far isn't as robust as older mass effects.

So as for the fun stuff, combat and the environments seem pretty cool. So if you want a dragon age style combat and customization system, which is pretty neat your in luck, (its a lot more like dragon age then mass effect... Think super buggy dragon age inquisition in space). Its not totally bad, but its not what I personally want in a mass effect. Still, I haven't finished the game, so It could end like KOTOR and blow my mind enough to be one of my all time favorite games :)
  • skyline5gtr
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    skyline5gtr polycounter lvl 9
    Really looks like they did not use the best people for the job but those that could save money and shoved the product out the door 
  • notman
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Spoon said:
    I have seen no bugs, no weird animation, or anything else people make fun of.

I have had plenty of bugs, but as Biomag mentioned, most are not real issues. Last night, I had the game infinitely loading, after a cut scene. Eventually, I had to restart the game, rewatch the cut scene, and went instantly back to the game, when it was done (meaning it shouldn't have taken more than a second or so, the first time).

The facial animations are awful. The more I spend with this game, the more it bothers me. Their brows don't move, and their eyelids are always 100% open, except when blinking.
    To top it off, they decided to make every character's body continue their animation, but it doesn't match the head/face. For instance, everyone keeps using the device on their arm, while having their head turned to the left, looking at you.
    The characters run with their backs straight up. No one runs like that. 

Sorry if this sounds like I'm attacking you... just trying to point out what I've seen. A game, at this level, should have much better characters visuals.

That being said, I agree, the environmental visuals are very cool. I love watching the tempest flying around, and the nomad is very cool
  • Mark Dygert
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    What would have driven the point home about "this is a shit ton of procedural animation" is if they skipped on voice actors and went with text-to-speech robotic voices instead. 

Half the budget of Witcher3, 3x the dialog/animation and to top it off an engine switch. It's obvious they didn't care about animation or automation.
  • notman
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Another thing bothering me, are the environmental sounds they use, at Eos' base. They are trying to create an atmosphere of a bustling area, but it ends up playing groups of people talking, when I'm standing out in the open, no where near a building/people
  • Biomag
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Biomag sublime tool
    When it comes to sounds I am not really happy with sound effects stop working in the middle of a fight. Half the shooting doesn't get played making it hard to keep the overview through out all the VFX blasting in your face.

But here a prime example why this isn't about the artists and devs working on the game, but by the people calling the shots: On a planet I just started a quest. Several lines of talking between an alien and my character, with her telling me her and her sisters background story. Then I walked 10 steps, scanned an object, SAM gives me several more lines as well as my character and returned back to the quest giver to finish the quest with more talking. The whole quest without the talking was about 10 seconds of gameplay (mostly walking). I would say at least 1 minute of dialog made for it. When you lack resources, why even bother putting up even more dialogs? So far probably the worst case, but I've had other quests similar like this.
  • Dataday
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Dataday polycounter lvl 8
    I'm not sure what to be more upset about... the fact that they released this game in the first place, or the fact that you cant get a refund from EA.
  • NoRank
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    NoRank polycounter lvl 3
    Idk, it seems like most of this issues are engine related. It's not even the first time I see this kind of glitches on a game that was done with frostbite. 
    But for now it's just a guess work, don't want to really blame anyone or anything for those mistakes.
  • Spoon
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Spoon polycounter lvl 11
    @notman Of course I dont feel attacked :) I was just surprised to see how well the game has performed for me, seeing all the flame it gets.
    It's interesting, I really haven't noticed a single of these issues, with the exception of the constantly surprised look on some of the faces (eyes wide open).
    I am playing on PS4.
    Maybe im simply too tired to perceive anything going on when im playing :) 

• Ryusaki
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Ryusaki greentooth
    Maybe the PS4 version is slightly less buggy....
    Also i reject the easy scapegoat of the engine...its not the engines fault...see Battlefield and other Frostbite games. The Engine can handle nice facial animations and stuff. This game just needs more work to fix bugs, glitches etc. That is a logistic/management problem, not a technical problem.
  • notman
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I'm playing on the PS4 also, and I see bugs, usually with player movement (not animation). For example, people will warp across my screen, at light speed. Or when I speak to someone, and they end up out of the view of my camera, so it looks like I'm talking to nothing. Again, not game breaking, but just buggy.
    And like I mentioned earlier, I had the game get completely stuck 'loading'. I rewatched my stream, and it went on for 4 minutes, before I closed the game (I wasn't just being impatient). 

Another thing bothering me is how the character models don't touch anything. They put their hands to their hips, and their hands just hover over the waste. When they hold their tablets, the tablet just floats in the middle of their hands.
  • lefix
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    lefix polycounter lvl 11
    Only annoying bug so far was when i was driving around the nomad would sometimes randomly be stuck in place until i let go of the gas pedal and start driving again.
  • Mark Dygert
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    notman said:
    Another thing bothering me is how the character models don't touch anything. They put their hands to their hips, and their hands just hover over the waste. When they hold their tablets, the tablet just floats in the middle of their hands.
    I think that is because they have one skeleton with one set of animations that are being re-targeted to similar skeletons with different proportions. So the anims work on whatever the default is (probably the male skeleton) but as soon as you change proportions, nothing lines up. To illustrate the problem, put your hand on your shoulder, now imagine your forearm is 3in longer, it's not going to sit on your shoulder.

Option 1: Throw more animation assets at the problem.
    Hire a bunch of animators to make new unique assets that are really just the same anim, with an anim layer thrown on top. 
    Technically this is possible if you're willing to quadruple the anim budget and bloat the size of the game significantly. Hopefully you can find some place where 50k per year gets you 5 animators instead of 1. If you go this route you will need a lawyer well versed in obscure child labor laws in various countries.

Option 2: Throw tech at the problem.
    Invest in tech heavy solutions that can accurately re-target animations, basically get Frostbite to automate what animators would be doing. The Frostbite engine would be amazing if it could pull that off. Sadly that would require a lot of high end, top dollar talent in the most expensive and competitive positions to fill. It would probably also require a bump in min-spec that goes outside of what consoles are capable of putting out.  

Option 3: Throw anyone at the problem (and by problem they mean bus).
    Hire a handful of fresh out of school "designers". Make them feel special, pump up their ego and then chain them to their desks. Have them take whatever is laying around on the cutting room floor and demand that they stitch scenes together until their fingers turn into bloody stumps. Hose down their keyboard and get a new warm body with fresh appendages. The only options they have are bad options, nothing works and because they are chained to their desks they can't ask the animators for what they need, which is a hacksaw...

It looks like they half-assed option 1 and 2 and settled on 3 as deadlines loomed.
  • notman
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Yeah, I fully get the logistical reasons, but this game had a hefty budget, and other games do such a better job of this. This game looks typical from games you'd play 10 years ago
  • Mark Dygert
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I agree, it looks pretty bad and their budget was fairly high for most games but not for AAA development. If you look at the amount of content they had to create, they clearly bit off more than they could chew or pay for. They easily have 100-150 million worth of content crammed into a 41 mil budget and it shows.

The Witcher3 had way better facial animation but it also had less animation overall, so they could focus on quality not quantity.
    https://youtu.be/bvZe8SoHWtA?t=54s

Witcher3 also had double the budget of Mass Effect A, 80mil vs 41mil. 80mil in Warsaw goes really far.

They can't increase quantity and expect quality not to suffer. Bioware also had to use the Frostbite engine which is several steps behind when it comes to slamming this kind of content together. They should have used another game that is similar in mechanic but much smaller in scope to figure out what tools and adjustments they needed before diving into a game with a scope this massive.

• Aerial_Knight
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Aerial_Knight polycounter lvl 8
    Ive been playing mass effect for the whole week. Most games even long ones only take me 3 or 4 days. I was just wondering how other people feel about how long this game is. I personally think there is a lot of filler that could have been left out the filler makes it harder to find the really good mission and side quest. Really fun game tho even with its hiccups here and there. what do you think polycount?