Home Animation Showcase & Critiques

Khanklesaur Walk Cycle WIP

RoxyPox
polycounter lvl 6
Offline / Send Message
RoxyPox polycounter lvl 6
Haven't done a quadruped walk cycle before, so any advice would be much appreciated.  I've been checking out Felix Sputnik's tutorial here, which has been a huge help.  Since this critter has such big feet I've been having trouble figuring out how to place them.  I still need to add some motion to the armor, jaw, etc., but I thought I should show this now while trying to get the basic motion down.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yjhxiOLuGCU&feature=youtu.be

Sync Sketch Link : https://syncsketch.com/sketch/141159#164008

Modeler- Reed Casey reedcasey.com
Setup Artist- Stev Kalinowski stevenkalinowski.com

Rig from 3dfiggins.com

Replies

• KyleG
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    KyleG polycounter lvl 4
    Your footfall sequence is a bit off - currently your opposite legs are in sync and you don't want that. I'd watch that tutorial again as your is currently similar to the cycle in the bottom left. You want the back legs to be "passing the motion" onto the front leg

• Hito
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Hito interpolator
    Looking good. The anatomy is tough to work with, if possible I'd stretch the body a little longer so the legs have room to move with less clipping or looking like a shuffle... the creature is bulky enough as it is and you gotta do all you can to make the silhouette readable. Overall I think the speed can be slower, about 60% of what you have now. Reference a Rhino for example, they can haul ass in a sprint, but most the time they move fairly slow.
  • Green_Cheek_Conure
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Green_Cheek_Conure polycounter lvl 2
    Looking good so far. Seem Hito gave some really good advice already. I added my 2 cents as well. Looking forward to future updates on this. Good luck!
  • RoxyPox
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Wow thanks guys!  @KyleG I will give it another shot, especially after trying what @Hito and @Green_Cheek_Conure  suggested in regards to stretching out the body/messing with anatomy.  I think that might have been what threw me off before (that or I need to be more observant :P).
    Will keep updating with WIPs!
  • Hito
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Hito interpolator
    Kyle's on point regarding the gait. could use little more offset for the generic quadruped gait that most people expect. It's good idea to dig up some more references. Quadrupeds have multiple gaits depending on speed and state of mind. Horse have 4 different gaits, dogs 5. every type of quadruped have their own peculiarities.
  • KielFiggins
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    KielFiggins polycounter lvl 7
    I'm not gonna lie, if you haven't done a quad walk in a while, this might be not be the best character to do it.  The anatomy is way off and the rig is really old and unforgiving.  There's a slew of other animal rigs out there that have a real world counter part that you could reference.  I'd suggest doing your work on one of those first, then applying those principles to a more stylized character like this.
  • RoxyPox
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    @KielFiggins Will definitely take that advice.  Just saw the updated rig resource thread  :)  Also, thank you for all the rig resources you've provided!  Really appreciate it!